http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 11:06:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Desktop Monitor  (Read 1055 times)
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »

I am thinking of getting a new monitor for my computer. I have not shopped for a monitor for a LONG time. I now have an old huge 19" CRT monitor that has worked great for me for years but is now starting to die. A 30 sec search of Anandtech showed me things like this:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=WC292AA%23ABA&aoid=35252

but it also showed me a hundred other things as well.

My primary use is for gaming. I don't really want to spend an insane amount of money. Around $200 is ok, but I could go a little higher if the monitor is that much better (say around $300). Of course just as good for cheaper would be better.

Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:06:07 PM by xenocide » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 06:27:45 PM »

Go for at least an IPS monitor.

eg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176171&Tpk=HP%20ZR22w

The really cheap monitors have worse colors and poor viewing angles. anything sub-7 millisecond average response is fast enough for gaming.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:32:23 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 06:35:56 PM »

If you were willing to go to a TN instead, Dell has one on sale today only:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-9327

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 06:44:43 PM »

I had a P-MVA or some such the first time because I was all into the color / viewing angle thing. But not this time. My new one may not have the best viewing angles but then again I don't play standing up or off to the side . The colors are great though. And the speed is great. 2ms I think. Mine is an Asus 25.5" VW266H $289 for an Asus brand 25.5" 1080p LCD is great.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 06:46:12 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 09, 2010, 06:27:45 PM

Go for at least an IPS monitor.

eg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176171&Tpk=HP%20ZR22w

The really cheap monitors have worse colors and poor viewing angles. anything sub-7 millisecond average response is fast enough for gaming.
Nice one there.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 11:31:27 PM »

How important do you think the IPS is vs response time?  I see on the one you linked the response time is 8ms, which is over 7 like you suggested.  I have never had an LCD before so I don't know how much of a problem response time can be.  My local computer shop can get the one you linked from newegg for $289 (newegg was $299 amazon is $277) with no shipping cost.  They did have a HP2509m 25" in stock for $259, and I have to say in the store it looked pretty nice.  It has the same resolution at 25" that the HP ZR22w has at 21.5", so it is a lower end model.  I probably should not have shopped around and just ordered, seeing those 24 and 25" screens is tempting me to splurge on the 24" IPS.  icon_twisted

There is this one from dell at 23" for $300

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-9270
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:32:15 PM »

Yeah.. if you're not doing photo editing/printing or other very color specific activities or plan to watch the display from wide off angles, then it doesn't matter what panel type you have.

I too used to go all out and do crazy research and buy PVA and IPS panels. I've since stopped. I game on my PC. I browse the internet. I read email. None of those things require 100% accurate color representation, nor are they particularly improved by it.

I have two TN monitors right now. They've been great. Both are Asus, one is their 27 inch and another is one of their various 24 inch models.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:05:03 AM »

Well, you might be talking me into a non-IPS.  I do no photo editing at all.  I do not even have a printer hooked up to my computer.  I only view my monitor from sitting in an office chair right in front of my computer desk.  Sounds like an IPS may be overkill for me.  Makes it easier to upsize to a 25" also.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 12:13:11 AM »

Quote from: xenocide on December 10, 2010, 12:05:03 AM

Well, you might be talking me into a non-IPS.  I do no photo editing at all.  I do not even have a printer hooked up to my computer.  I only view my monitor from sitting in an office chair right in front of my computer desk.  Sounds like an IPS may be overkill for me.  Makes it easier to upsize to a 25" also.

It's not that IPS is overkill or anything, it's just that the advantages it has aren't really that important to a gamer anymore. TN's have improved so much over the last few years in regards to contrast and blacks that the price difference between them and even budget IPS models is a little more hard to swallow.

That said, that Dell U2311 model someone linked is supposed to be a pretty great monitor, and after spending a lot of time on a 19 inch CRT like you have, even a 23 incher is going to seem huge. And the price on it really is pretty low.

Check out the forums at HardOCP, they have a huge thread going on the Dell.

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 03:47:54 AM »

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

As an owner of an LP2475w, I can definitely say I'm happy. (widescreen, 24 inch, IPS monitor, CCF backlighting).

Things I'm going to look for in my next monitor?

120+ on refresh rate. (not a deal breaker, but 60 fps sometimes doesn't cut it)
less input lag. mine runs about 25ms on average, and I notice it sometimes.
black levels.
color depth (I dislike color banding, it really turns me off)
LED backlighting. (which currently offers less color gamut, usually, than standard backlighting, but can offer much better black levels, and will probably last longer, and DEFINITELY draws less power)

Colors don't have to be perfect. Black levels are important. Refresh rate must be good. Viewing angle not so important.. you sit right in front of it.

All this, and, hopefully, less than I paid for my current monitor, which is still slightly north of 500$, even now.

Whatever you do, do it right. If you hate your display, you'll hate your computer.

Atomic

PS: Double check the HP business monitor listings. Their service level for their business equipment is stellar. If you have a problem... you will not have a problem. (you don't have to buy it through HP.. I bought mine from newegg... it had infant death syndrome... replacement was hassle free, other than the annoyance of the short wait)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 03:50:33 AM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 05:41:48 AM »

Mine Asus VW266H   2ms G2G   26"WS CMO TN Film (M260J3-L01)

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 05:51:26 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on December 10, 2010, 12:13:11 AM

That said, that Dell U2311 model someone linked is supposed to be a pretty great monitor, and after spending a lot of time on a 19 inch CRT like you have, even a 23 incher is going to seem huge. And the price on it really is pretty low.

I've always heard good things about Dell.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 06:32:27 PM »

I love my Dell 2405. I got a U2401 (or somesuch TN screen) and while sitting in front of it looks fine, side-by-side with an IPS is ... disappointing.

Also, sometimes I use it as a PS3 display for the bedroom (as I have the soundbar and it has HDMI) and sometimes we watch movies there - since rearranging my bedroom I've had to put it on top of a 5' dresser, and you notice the angle issues with TN pretty quickly (the screen is dim, etc). as a lower angle is less forgiving than the upper angle.

IF you decide to go TN, I'd recommend an articulated arm rather than using the included stand so you can position it where it properly faces you.

Egrotron make fantastic arms, and you can find them on ebay for fairly cheap. Perhaps Monoprice has some too (they have TV stands). Just make sure the monitor you buy has a VESA mount, and the arm can support the monitor weight. Last thing: weight = actual weight of monitor +6lbs per inch of the thickness over 2 inches.

xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 09:41:27 PM »

Well after some more looking, I think I am going to go with the dell U2311H.  It seems to get good reviews almost everywhere.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 02:56:58 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 10, 2010, 06:32:27 PM

IF you decide to go TN, I'd recommend an articulated arm rather than using the included stand so you can position it where it properly faces you.

Egrotron make fantastic arms, and you can find them on ebay for fairly cheap. Perhaps Monoprice has some too (they have TV stands). Just make sure the monitor you buy has a VESA mount, and the arm can support the monitor weight. Last thing: weight = actual weight of monitor +6lbs per inch of the thickness over 2 inches.

I'd recommend these for any monitor if you're not perfectly happy with the stand your monitor came with.

I bought two Ergotron LX's for my monitors and they're awesome. Not only does it let you position the monitors much more freely than you might have been able to on the stock stand but they also free up desk space.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 03:29:40 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 06:21:53 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on December 11, 2010, 02:56:58 AM

Quote from: Purge on December 10, 2010, 06:32:27 PM

I'd recommend these for any monitor if you're not perfectly happy with the stand your monitor came with.

I bought two Ergotron LX's for my monitors and they're awesome. Not only does it let you position the monitors much more freely than you might have been able to on the stock stand but they also free up desk space.

I was very interested in this, because my stand is too short and doesn't have a vertical adjustment, but the price on those Ergotron LXs is like $300 each!  That's more than the monitor cost!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 08:36:07 PM »

It doesn't even cost that much to order two off Amazon. One runs about $115 on there.

Plus Ergotron has cheaper arms. Just look around, and make sure they're rated to support the weight of your monitor.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:37:39 PM by Thin_J » Logged

xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »

Well, I don't know why it took so long for them to "process" one monitor by itself, but my order shipped today from Dell.  No wonder their estimated delivery date was Dec 28th if it takes them that long to ship a monitor.  I will let you know how I like it when I get it set up.
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »

Got the monitor the other day.   It looks great, I really like it.  When I fist played a game after hooking it up, I could see a little motion blur compared to my CRT if I looked for it.  However, after playing for 5 mins, I did not notice it anymore.  Thanks to all who gave me info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: