http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 08:32:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Computer Build: (Updated)  (Read 799 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:41:43 AM »

I'm just about to order the few items I need for my new computer, and I have a quick question for the computer gurus on the forum. I fell in love with the Lian Li case shown here:

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=500&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62&g=f

The literature states that the case has clearance for video cards up to 305mm long. If you look at the image, you can see that places the card edge very close to the front set of fans.

I'm trying to decide between two graphics cards, the MSI Lightning GTX580, or the Gigabyte Super Overclocked series. The MSI lightning, which seems to rate slightly higher in build quality (but has a lower clock speed) is......305mm long.......the exact limits of this case.

The Gigabyte is an inch shorter, and would have no clearance issues. But reviews place it slightly behind MSI for overall build quality and component choices.

So here are my questions:

1) Is getting a video card that is 305mm long for a case that states its size limit is 305mm long playing with fire? Or does that 305mm clearance allow for a little "give", just like your cars gas tank? I have this paranoia that either the video card manufacturer or case manufacturer will have missed their measurements by a mm or two and suddenly I have a card that is smacking into the front fans.

2) Any possible issues with electrical/vibrational interference with the card getting so close to the front fans? (as shown in the pictures in the link above)

So, would you pull the trigger on the slightly better rated card, knowing it pushed the limits of the case, or would you do a modest step down and be assured of ample space?

Finally, if you have time for some light reading, I'd love to know which card you would choose:

Gigabyte Superclocked:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-580-so-review/

MSI Lightning:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-580-lightning-review/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:33:04 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:30:16 PM »

You may be in love with the case, but I'd honestly go with something roomier.  I had a case that could barely fit the video card (a GTX 280), and it meant that putting in a new hard drive required me removing the video card. 

Save yourself the future time and trouble, and just get a larger case.  I know that the huge cases are 1) more expensive and 2) heavier, but they're worth it in the long run.   I went with a Cooler Master HAF X and I've been delighted with it.  As far as the video card, you can't really go wrong with either.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 08:09:51 PM »

For the overclocked 580 models, I think I'd lean toward the MSI. Basically all of their Twin-Frozr cooler series cards have gotten really great reviews. In fact, looking at the reviews you linked it looks like it's 10 full degrees cooler at load than the gigabyte. Definitely the winner.

As for the case, I'll echo Zarkon. Yes, you're begging for some frustration if you buy a card that just so barely fits inside the case. The first time you want to do something in there you'll end up having to remove something that might otherwise have stayed put.

Go for either a Corsair or a Fractal Design. They both have cases that will fit the card, be fairly quiet, and be fairly easy to do a clean cabling job on. And the Fractal Design cases are even fairly cheap.

*Holy crap, that Lian-Li is $300! You can get way more room to work with or just a plain out better laid out case for that kind of money, or significantly less.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:05:20 PM »

I'll third the part about getting a bigger case.  it seems like video cards seem to be getting bigger and bigger, and it's better to buy a bigger case now than to have to switch out everything should you ever inf yourself needing the bigger case.  personally I love my Coolermaster HAF 932, it's got tons of space, decent cable management, a great system for putting in drives and great airflow.  of course the downside is it needs cleaning more often.

as for video cards I have to say I've been seeing nice things about that MSI Lightning card you linked to.  I'm actually eying the EVGA GTX 560 w/ 2 gig VRAM based off a recommendation from Thin_J from when I was looking at the GTX 590 (which I'm not sure every really existed since it was never in stock).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:08:09 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 03:10:59 PM »

Da-yum! That case has 3 230mm fans! Wow those are huge!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 03:20:37 PM »

When judging vidcard length vs case, one thing to look at is where the power plug inputs are on the vidcard.  If they are on the back end, then you will need some extra clearance to allow for the power cables.  Some cards put the power inputs on the side, which usually makes things easier.  Some cases will let you move or remove drive cages to allow for a super long card.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 01:09:49 AM »

Okay, I've sorted out my video card issues, and have been looking at case reviews: Everyone rates the Lian Li PC-900X very highly, but one review had this to say:

------------------------------------------------
I ran into a number of issues when building this machine, the biggest one was an electrical short caused by the stock screws and power supply mount. This was remedied by removing the removable power supply bracket that came with the case, this bracket was used to make the power supply mounting tool less.

The other culprit  of the electrical short circuiting was the thumb screws that came included with the case to mount the motherboard to the standoffs. When you mount the motherboard with the thumbscrews it causes random losses of power which will cause system restarts every few minutes without any major blue screen errors leaving you scratching your head. The fix for this was to replace the stock screws with standard computer mounting screws.

http://www.techwarelabs.com/lian-li-pc-x900-casechassis/2/

-------------------------------------------------

No one else mentioned this issue in their reviews, and I was hoping someone else could explain what he means. What, exactly is the reason for these shorts?  Is this a true cause for concern, or did this reviewer just not know what he was doing? Was it the type of power supply? Improper grounding? How could thumb screws cause a short? I've only built two computers, so I'm not very adept at this.

Is this reason enough to avoid this chassis?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:11:57 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 07:06:51 AM »

I still wouldn't buy that case personally. Like Freezer and I and others have mentioned, the width of the bottom section is exactly the same as the larger videocards on the market, so you have exactly zero extra space at the end of the card. If you get one where the 12v cables connect on the end instead of on the side they actually won't fit. It's just a hassle. I don't understand the bullish want for a case that will limit your hardware choices in the future.

Also, I kind of hate case reviews that don't include a picture of the damn thing with the actual hardware in it. You have the thing built. You're already taking other pictures. Why in the world would you not take one of the thing with all the hard work done? Let people see exactly how much room there really is.

But no. That would make sense.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:08:33 AM by Thin_J » Logged

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 03:37:10 AM »

Perhaps you should hold off.... ?  drool

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/19870/silverstone_temjin_tj12_case_with_six_geforce_gtx_580_video_cards_19_slots/index.html

On a more available note, you might check out the silverstone raven/fortress in terms of expansion card length... claiming 12 inches, or 12.2 with the fan grilles removed. (305 millimeters is 12.007874 inches)

Raven 3 is claiming 13.58 inches clearance. Temjin 11 is claiming 12.4 inches.

All this said... the case... does not make it go faster. (that said I've eyed a fortress 02 from time to time as a potential addition, in spite of the expense. on the other hand, I have a solid steel chenbro unit in my floor that will easily do the trick... and it's already purchased)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147094

10 expansion slots, 330mm video card.

Atomic
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 03:39:48 AM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on June 06, 2011, 03:37:10 AM

sweet jeebus!  does that take a 1.21 gigawatt PSU?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:58:24 AM »

No, you wire it straight to the ground of your house, and put a capacitor system in your attic. It only works in thunderstorms when the lightning is active to power it, and even then, only for a few minutes biggrin

On an interesting note, I'm just poking around egg for other cases... this one claims 33cm, and even has an intriguing look... I don't normally go for this type.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133191

Atomic

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352006

33 cm (more with cage removed)
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 11:05:22 AM »

Quote from: Atomic

Quote from: Thin_J on May 23, 2011, 08:09:51 PM

Go for either a Corsair or a Fractal Design. They both have cases that will fit the card, be fairly quiet, and be fairly easy to do a clean cabling job on. And the Fractal Design cases are even fairly cheap.

Told you! Tongue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: