http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 08:23:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Network printing problem - one computer can't find the printer  (Read 866 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:04:31 PM »

I've Googled the hell out of this issue and I'm wondering if one of you geniuses might know what the issue is.

I've got a new wireless printer and have set it up on most of my computers and devices, including Windows 7, OSX and iPad/iPhone. Able to find the printer and print.

However, my work computer (also Windows 7) can't find the printer on the network. I can type in the IP address of the printer from this machine and bring up the printer config pages, so there is no doubt this computer can connect to the printer. But using "add printer" or the printer's driver install program, the computer can't find the printer.

In case you are wondering, the computer is not on the VPN when am doing this - I can reboot the machine so nothing is running and I still have the issue.

Just baffled here. Anyone have any ideas?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Biyobi
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:23:34 PM »

Head into Network and Sharing Center. In the "View your active networks" section, make sure it's set to either Home or Work network. Being set as Public will turn off a lot of your network functionality beyond what you need to get on the internet.

Next, look into the Advanced Sharing Settings.  Make sure "Turn on network discovery" is selected.

When you try adding the printer through "add a printer", try using "Add a local printer" instead of the "Add a network..." option. From there you can "Create a new port", set the type to "Standard TCP/IP Port and then Next on to a screen where you can manually input the printer's TCP/IP address. There you have the option of letting the computer try to pick the driver automatically or selecting one after the port information has been tested.  I rarely like using the initial "network" option because things as simple as the printer being in "sleep" mode can cause the detection program to miss it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: