http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:05:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Vid Card Recommendations  (Read 853 times)
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2005, 03:26:15 PM »

Forgive the cross-posting from OO...

-----------------------------

It looks like the vid card on my wife's computer is determined to foil my carefully laid out upgrade plans. She's currently using a GF4 4200, and when I built my PCI-E based system later this year I was going to pass on my AGP 5900XT to her. It was a perfect plan, but now we've hit a snag.

The card has started to lock up the system hard once or twice a night during WoW and the occasional other games she plays. It's gone from the point where it was mildly annoying to the highest level of frustrations. It's caused issues more than once while we've been in instances, which are exactly the kind of places you don't want someone dropping to restart.

I've tried all the standard stuff, updating drivers, checking the system for overheating and cleaning it out, but I really think the card is faulty. I used it for a about 20 months and I can remember it doing the exact same thing in my system, so it's likely independent of drivers or other system-related issues.

So what I need to find is an inexpensive ($100 or less) card that is comparable to the 4200, or slightly better, to get her through until I can build my next system is 6-9 months. Any thoughts or recommendations?
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 05:24:25 PM »

Can you get the Radeon 9600 PRO for that much?  It was a really good card for me for some time.  Performance would be better than the 4200 as well.
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 07:39:04 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
So what I need to find is an inexpensive ($100 or less) card that is comparable to the 4200, or slightly better, to get her through until I can build my next system is 6-9 months. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Have you already checked with your GF4's manufacturer about your warranty?  Never know, might still be able to get it replaced.

Anyway, for ~$100, you can get...well, not much worthwhile, frankly.  Tongue  The Radeon 9600 Pro is probably your best bet: you can find one for just over $100.  A GeForce 5700 is probably an acceptable alternative, but it is a bit slower.  Unfortunately, ATI and nVidia's newer budget-minded cards (namely the X600 Pro & 6600) aren't currently available in AGP form, AFAIK.

Try scanning eBay for a good deal on a used card.  I see some 9700 Pros for ~$100, which are substantially faster than the 9600 Pros.  [Heck, it's a little faster than your 5900XT in some cases.]

Of course, you can also just buy a total cheap-ass sub-$50 card to make do with until you upgrade your PC.  Depends on how demanding of a gamer your wife is...and how much you value your marriage.  Cool

Or you could just use this as an excuse to buy a better AGP card for yourself and postpone your PCIe upgrade.  Hey, we won't rat on ya... slywink

BTW, a handy reference for comparing AGP cards is here:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 10:25:33 PM »

Thanks for all the info.  Looks like I've got a deal worked out for a used card that'll be more than enough to get us through the time until I'm ready for an upgrade.

Have you already checked with your GF4's manufacturer about your warranty? Never know, might still be able to get it replaced.

Heh, I've liked Gainward's cards since I started buying them, but trying to figure out how to get warranty service from them would be a trick I think.  I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty too, but once I get up and running I might  look into it if I have the time.  At this point it's just easier for all parties involved to get a new card. smile

Unfortunately, ATI and nVidia's newer budget-minded cards (namely the X600 Pro & 6600) aren't currently available in AGP form, AFAIK.

I noticed this, and was kind of surprised.  I know PCI-E is going to be all the rage, but I wouldn't think, particularly in the budget lines, that they'd completely give up on AGP already.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: