http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 01:29:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some opinions  (Read 783 times)
Punisher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2012, 02:38:06 AM »

So, I won a contest and have a choice to make on what I want... so here are my choices:

Samsung ATIV Tablet. Free
Asus S200E Laptop. Free
Asus Vivo RT Tablet w/ free keyboard. Free
Microsoft Surface 32GB with touch keyboard. Free
Microsoft Surface 64GB with touch keyboard. $50
Acer V5 Touch Screen Laptop. $50 and have to wait until Jan
Lenovo Twist Laptop. $250

I have a high end gaming desktop, A really nice gaming laptop, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (with Android) and just bought a 4th gen IPad 64GB (not sure if I'm keeping this though).
So, I don't think a laptop is a good choice and I'm leaning towards a tablet. I was leaning towards the 64GB Surface, the Asus Vivo, or the Samsung ATIV. I like the Samsung, only because it has a full version of Windows 8 and not the RT version...

Any thoughts?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 05:43:45 AM »

Are the surfaces RT or Pro?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 05:57:50 AM »

Take Aspire V5 off the table: http://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-reviews/acer-aspire-v5-touch-review/
I don't mind the twist (having played with an HP SmartTouch tx2, it's nice to have the base act as a stand and just rotate the screen 180 degrees... turns the machine into a pseudo kiosk where you can then leave it in the kitchen, etc and be able to use the touch interface).

That is 250 bones though.

The Samsung ATIV Tablet ... does that come with the keyboard?

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/141317-samsungs-ativ-500t-not-the-tablet-youve-been-waiting-for/3

I dunno man, I'd drop the 50 bux and get the 64bit Surface w. keyboard, even if it's RT. Fact is, there is going to be a lot of applications coming out for the MS Store. Even VLC is coming out with a native Win8 app, which addresses any of those codec concerns.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 04:03:48 PM »

The Surface is RT.. If it was Pro, the choice would be a lot easier!
The Samsung one does not come with the keyboard right now.
As for the laptops, I really just put them there because it was part of my choices... I don't really need another laptop (Besides the one I mentioned, I have 3 other good ones)..
If I did choose a surface, the 64GB one is what I would get since the 32GB one only leaves about 16GB usable space... That would probably be filled very quickly.

From the list, I am probably leaning towards the Samsung, the ASUS RT (I like that the keyboard houses an extra battery on this, and it's a "real" keyboard), and the 64GB Surface.
I was looking at the Samsung, mostly because of Pro and stuff like VLC and other apps that I use.. Some of which, will probably not be in the MS Store..
However, from looking at the review you linked, it's doubtful the other software I want to use would even run well anyway.. So then it comes down to video playback... Which the Pro does better I think, just because of VLC (I don't feel like re-encoding anything)...
That being said, maybe the Surface or the Asus Vivo are the better chocies... I was liking the Vivo just because I like the keyboard better, but then the 32GB thing bugs me...
hmmm... Looks like the 64GB Surface may be the better option.. Then I just have to wait for the MS Store to catch up to my needs...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 06:29:02 PM »

I think I would probably just choose the 64 GB Surface, but I haven't read reviews of all the others.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 08:33:41 PM »

you could probably sell the Surface for more than $50 if you really didn't need it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 02:59:50 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 22, 2012, 06:29:02 PM

I think I would probably just choose the 64 GB Surface, but I haven't read reviews of all the others.

This.

I'll give you $75, and even pay the shipping. slywink

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 12:23:45 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 23, 2012, 02:59:50 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 22, 2012, 06:29:02 PM

This.

I'll give you $75, and even pay the shipping. slywink

While I appreciate your generosity in this holiday time, I think I'll hold onto it for now.. smile
and I did get the 64GB surface...
Only played with it for a little bit so far, but it hasn't gripped me yet... I feel real weird about this since I love Windows in general.... I think the current lack of wow apps and the fact that I can't load my own software on it is part of the problem... Anyone know if they plan on porting Steam to RT? That would go a long way towards it making it a wow system for me...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 03:26:02 AM »

Since the normal Surface doesn't have an x86 processor and isn't running normal Windows, I would definitely not hold your breath for Steam or any of your Windows games to get on there. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: