http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 12:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some help with a power supply...  (Read 1327 times)
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2004, 05:54:43 PM »

I have no idea what the model of the PSU is, it came with a Lite-On case (model WT-6402). Well I've mostly finished building the PC, and went to test it. But I found the PSU to lack a switch (you know, the big 0/+ switch that you flip to turn the PSU on). How do I turn it on? I tried just plugging the cord in, but got a complete dead PC. Absolutely nothing happened, the PSU doesn't even turn on.

Is there a different method that some PSU's use to turn them on? Or something? Or is the PSU DOA?
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 06:55:40 PM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
I have no idea what the model of the PSU is, it came with a Lite-On case (model WT-6402). Well I've mostly finished building the PC, and went to test it. But I found the PSU to lack a switch (you know, the big 0/+ switch that you flip to turn the PSU on). How do I turn it on? I tried just plugging the cord in, but got a complete dead PC. Absolutely nothing happened, the PSU doesn't even turn on.

Is there a different method that some PSU's use to turn them on? Or something? Or is the PSU DOA?

PSUs without their own on/off switch are controlled by the motherboard.  One of the small wires coming from the front panel of the case should be marked "power" and attached to the motherboard (read the manual).
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 07:33:25 PM »

Umm... but then how could the motherboard get power in order to control the PSU? If the PSU isn't turned on, and isn't suppling power to the motherboard, the motherboard cannot control the power supply in order to turn it on... You're talking about a catch-22.

And the front panel isn't even connected to the PSU itself.

Oh, I don't think you understand what I'm talking about. I need to turn the PSU ITSELF on, not the computer as a whole.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 08:07:49 PM »

biyobi is right...not all PSUs have an On/Off switch.  they maintain a minimal current to the motherboard even when they're "off" and are activated when the entire system is turned on.  in that case (which is very common), you have to make sure the PSU, mobo, and case switch are all connected correctly so that it all powers up together.  there won't be a direct connection betwee the front panel and the PSU...a signal travels through the mobo to turn everything on.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 08:31:41 PM »

That's new information to me... I've only built one system before this one, and that one has a PSU on/off switch, so I was confused.

Thanks guys, guess I'll check the connections and try again.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 08:47:27 PM »

Tried everything - the connections are correct, I tried connecting it both ways, etc. It doesn't work.

What really sucks about this is that EITHER the PSU or the mobo is DOA. It could be one of the either, or both. **** this piece of shit.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 10:23:19 PM »

Double check those connections.  The power, speaker, reset, etc connectors are all tough little bastards to get right. They are so small and close together and poorly marked that it's easy to think you have it right and yet still have one or two wrong.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 10:28:51 PM »

do I have to have them all connected for it to work? Or will just the power switch connector suffice?
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 02:02:17 AM »

Power button would be enough just to see if it works.

Idle thought, did you plug in the 4 pin power cable to the mobo?
I, um, forgot that plug the last box I built.....
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 04:35:39 AM »

Well, I give up; it's official. Either that PSU is DOA, or static did in the mobo (I feel the latter - someone picked up the mobo to check it out before I could stop him... ugh).

I'm going to do a RMA on them both, swap the mobo with the same one and swap the case for something else (it's truly a crappy case, and I've decided that all PSU's with no power switches must die. Argh, that wasn't fair! How am I supposed to test the PSU if only the motherboard can control it?!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: