http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:17:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Some Advice on Games for Windows Live  (Read 859 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2011, 05:34:41 AM »

I've never been much of a fan of GFWL and even disabled it for Fallout 3, but I've recently bought 2 games that require it for online play - DoWII and Section 8. So I relented and installed it and no surprise, I'm getting terrible network Lag. I've confirmed that both games are in the Exceptions list for the Windows XP firewall. However, I haven't changed a single setting on my router. I'm wondering if there's some ports I'm going to have to redirect to my PC' IP address in my routers gaming/apps port forwarding table? If anyone here has experience with this, I'd appreciate any suggestions.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 03:37:33 PM »

Hard to say without more details but I had issues running games lag free on Vista over wireless.  I use this:

http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/

morlac00 on PSN
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 07:11:47 PM »

Thanks for the reply Morlac. I'm running WinXP SP3 on the gaming rig that's having the problems, so I'm not sure how much WLAN can help. Its better than nothing though so I'm going to give it a shot.  I do occassionally get some lag while playing games like CoD 4 or Left4Dead online on this PC, but its no way near as severe as those I'm getting with GFWL games. My Internet connection is far from the best (4-5MB download and .4-.5 MB upload) and I'm currently fighting with the ISP to replace the cable modem - looking at this point that I've won the battle. I'm also aware that the wireless NIC in the PC is quite poor and I'm getting a better replacement.

That said, a reboot of the cable modem, router and PC almost always resolve any lag I encounter with those other 2 games I mentioned, and the connection will remain stable for the duration of the evening. It's just GFWL games where I don't seem to be able to overcome the poor lag. I should probably also mention that my 360 sitting within 2 feet of my PC rarely has problems with online gaming or Netflix streaming via XBL.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:53:51 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 31, 2011, 07:11:47 PM

Thanks for the reply Morlac. I'm running WinXP SP3 on the gaming rig that's having the problems, so I'm not sure how much WLAN can help. Its better than nothing though so I'm going to give it a shot.  I do occassionally get some lag while playing games like CoD 4 or Left4Dead online on this PC, but its no way near as severe as those I'm getting with GFWL games. My Internet connection is far from the best (4-5MB download and .4-.5 MB upload) and I'm currently fighting with the ISP to replace the cable modem - looking at this point that I've won the battle. I'm also aware that the wireless NIC in the PC is quite poor and I'm getting a better replacement.

That said, a reboot of the cable modem, router and PC almost always resolve any lag I encounter with those other 2 games I mentioned, and the connection will remain stable for the duration of the evening. It's just GFWL games where I don't seem to be able to overcome the poor lag. I should probably also mention that my 360 sitting within 2 feet of my PC rarely has problems with online gaming or Netflix streaming via XBL.

You can try the steps here:

http://forums.xbox.com/gfw/technical_support/connection_networking/f/265/t/8865.aspx

The connection test should tell you if you've got something that needs to be enabled to have Live work well/at all (UPnP for example).
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »

Ok.  I suspect that WFGL is doing something in the background to suck your bandwidth periodically.  Another random thought...do either for those use punkbuster for anti cheating?  if so you might want to uninstall/reinstall it as it has been known to cause issues.  Hmm though you are playing COD w/out incident.  of course there are a couple different flavors of PB as well.  Might be worth trying.

Oh and I found this about DOW 2 but have no expierence with it :
"Someone in your game was playing on a system that shouldn't be running the game.

This super strict client sync regarding DoW2 is it's downfall. It sync's everything across all players computers resulting in everyone's performance matching anyone who has the slightest issue playing the game. Whether it's from the game actions not being calculated fast enough to framerate dipping blow 30fps. It affects everyone and it sucks.

There isn't anything you can do about it. Most of the online games I play there is at least one idiot trying to play on a pentium 3 with max graphical settings just destroying performance for everyone and it does suck.

Retribution will only be using Steamworks for multiplayer so this type of networking might disappear. Only Relic knows whether this horrible design relating to multiplayer is an issue specifically with GFWL or not. "

morlac00 on PSN
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 06:20:22 AM »

Quote from: Calavera on December 31, 2011, 08:53:51 PM

You can try the steps here:

http://forums.xbox.com/gfw/technical_support/connection_networking/f/265/t/8865.aspx

The connection test should tell you if you've got something that needs to be enabled to have Live work well/at all (UPnP for example).

Well all the steps had already been done. However when it came to running the tests only these would run:
- Test 1 - Basic Internet Connectivity Test
- Test 2 - Network Address Translator Type
- Test 6 - Multiple Simultaneous Connection States Test
All of those passed with a "Supported" result.

The "Test 3 - Traffic Congestion Test" and "Test 4 - TCP High Performance Test" both require Windows Vista or 7 to run.  I'm concerned about "Test 5 - UPnP Support Test" not having been run and maybe there's where the problem lies. This is what the descriptive text for that test suggests as a reason:
"The test was not run, possibly because the tool was unable to detect a usable Internet connection. Please verify that your Internet connection is working and try running the tool again. If this does not resolve the problem, read the detailed report for more information."

Quote from: morlac on December 31, 2011, 10:16:11 PM

Ok.  I suspect that WFGL is doing something in the background to suck your bandwidth periodically.  Another random thought...do either for those use punkbuster for anti cheating?  if so you might want to uninstall/reinstall it as it has been known to cause issues.  Hmm though you are playing COD w/out incident.  of course there are a couple different flavors of PB as well.  Might be worth trying.

Yup I'm using Punkbuster with a few games and I really haven't had many problems with. The service hung once, but that's really about the only grief its given me. I'll check into possible different versions though.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »

Have you updated firmware on your wireless hardware?  Routers/etc?

Double check you have UPnP enabled and your firewall is allowing it.  Hell just disable your firewall for testing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941206

morlac00 on PSN
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »

Quote from: morlac on January 01, 2012, 02:27:02 PM

Have you updated firmware on your wireless hardware?  Routers/etc?
It's an old router and there hasn't been an update for some years. I checked again just over a year ago, but I'll check again. As to the cable modem, its firmware is supposed to be auto-updated by the ISP, but I have little faith in their claims which is one of the reasons I'm getting them to replace it.
Double check you have UPnP enabled and your firewall is allowing it.
Ah crap, for some reason UPnP wasn't enabled in the exceptions for my WinXP firewall. Now all of those above tests are passing with the execption of the 2 Vista/Win7 exclusive tests. That might just have been the problem. I'll have to do some play testing now to see if there's a difference.

Many thanks again for the suggestions. smile
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:33:04 PM by kronovan » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 09:50:38 PM »

I don't know if its just because its Sunday afternoon, but I am getting far less lag in Section 8 - game really feels playable now.  slywink  I don't have any opponents lined up for DoWII, but soon as I do I'll give it a test.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:48:13 AM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: