http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 04:09:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with X-Fi XtremeGamer  (Read 1201 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »

I tried searching for this issue here, but didn't really find anything so here goes. My brother and I both have the X-Fi XtremeGamer card. I have a Windows XP set up and he has a Windows Vista 64 set up. This has been happening quite frequently in WoW but after a certain amount of time, the sound cuts out and it replaced by a high pitched continuous beep. The only way to fix this is to reboot.

I originally had an Audigy card, but wanted to upgrade, so I got the X-Fi XtremeGamer. I thought it had to do with my old drivers, so I uninstalled all previous drivers and installed clean. However, I'm still getting the sound problem and I notice that my X-Fi shows up in the device manager as the X-Fi under sound, but I also have an "unknown" PCI card. Well, the *only* PCI card I have is the X-Fi. I also have 2 8800 GTS in SLI.

For my brother's rig, I decided to just buy a built PC from CyberPower PC. So I thought Vista 64 would be worth trying and put that OS on his machine. He also has SLI but with 2 8800 GT cards. I updated his drivers for the X-Fi (XtremeGamer edition as well) and installed the ALchemy update as well.

So there you have it. We have the same sound card and same same issue in WoW but on both XP and Vista. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!
pingwrx
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 12:53:44 AM »

I had the same problem a couple of years ago I ended up pulling out the sound card and reseating it that did the trick.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 06:36:58 PM »

Man, I tried everything. I updated the BIOS (thought I had done this, but I guess not), installed updated drivers, everything. STILL. WILL. NOT. WORK.

So I yanked it out and I'm going to install my onboard sound drivers. Thanks for the memories, Creative, but we're through now.  icon_mad
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 10:00:13 PM »

Quote from: namatoki on December 23, 2007, 06:36:58 PM

So I yanked it out and I'm going to install my onboard sound drivers. Thanks for the memories, Creative, but we're through now.  icon_mad

I did the exact same thing years ago. I was happier immediately and never looked back.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 02:07:49 PM »

NAMATOKI, do you want to sell that card? If so I would be interested. Give me a PM is so.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 02:57:38 PM »

I recieved the card over the weekend and tested it out. It works fine for me, no crackling or any intereference. Thanks for the card and I'm glad I could help you as well.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 02:14:37 AM »

Glad it works out for you. I'm pretty sure it was not compatible with our motherboard. frown
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 04:52:41 PM »

I use an older Xi-Fi on Windows XP. Fwiw, I never could get the utilities and fancy software it came with to work properly. I spent a lot of time before throwing up my hands. It works OK, and the various 3D effects work well, but whatever benefits the included software was supposed to bring I couldn't get working.

I'll probably not bother transferring the card to my next PC. I'm always interested in reading thoughts on how it works or doesn't work with Vista (though clearly it's not like it's the only hardware that doesn't play well with Vista).

It's kinda sad how disliked Creative Labs seems to be these days. It was probably the first hardware I ever installed in one of my PCs (back around early 1993), and right up through the Sound Blaster 16s, it was the most trouble free hardware I ever used. It seemed like the fancier they got with the cards, the more problematic they became (at least in my experience fwiw).

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 12:54:56 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 14, 2008, 04:52:41 PM

It's kinda sad how disliked Creative Labs seems to be these days. It was probably the first hardware I ever installed in one of my PCs (back around early 1993), and right up through the Sound Blaster 16s, it was the most trouble free hardware I ever used. It seemed like the fancier they got with the cards, the more problematic they became (at least in my experience fwiw).

'these days'? Try 'for years' instead. IMHO, if you constantly got the newer cards and used them, you were fine. Driver support sorta fell through the floor of all the cards older than 6-12 months, and that ultimately was the problem.

I still remember the day that I yanked out my Creative card and went to motherboard sound - all my computer lockups/reboots/whatever stopped for good at that moment. And I'm good with computers. I know my way around.

And yes, I remember my first Creative card too. I tossed that thing into my 486/25MHz and was amazed at the speech that Wing Commander had. It was so amazingly lifelike and such. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 10:31:13 AM »

Just got one with my new Vista rig. Not a problem so far. 32 bit Vista.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: