http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 08:11:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with a two router setup  (Read 774 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2005, 07:28:36 PM »

I recently upgraded my ancient DSL connection from a 768mbps to a 3mbps line, as part of this upgrade they sent me a new modem that's also a router.

My modem is a Westell 6100 dsl router, and I'm currently using a Netgear WGU624 double wireless router.

As you can see, I now have two routers.

I would just connect everything to the DSL router via a hub, but I need the wireless internet for other computers in my house. Unfortunately, if I try to connect both of them into the same line it doesn't work.

With a bit of searching I found a small fix, which is to disable the DHCP server on my wireless router, then make sure the line from the DSL router to my wireless router is plugged into a normal port on my wireless router (instead of the specific internet port). This allows me to get online.

However, with this configuration I can't help but think I'm losing something. There's bound to be some latency issues with this dual routing, not to mention problems when I try to get programs working like bittorrent.

Ideally, I'd like to have my wireless router handle all the routing, and just have my dsl router act as just a modem.

Can anyone help me?
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 11:14:14 PM »

One problem I've seen is that the consumer grade 'routers' have many features removed.  Depending on what features they did or did not allow your equipment to have, it would work with varying degrees of success.

Does your DSL router also function as the modem?  If so, I have in mind a setup which might work out good (but depends on the equipment).
DamageInc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 02:08:41 AM »

Also when connecting 2 like devices you need to use a cross-over cable instead of a regular cat5/cat6 cable. Since the modem is a router and you are connecting another router to it you would most likely need a cross-over cable for that connection.

You may want to find out how much your DSL provider can config the router on the DSL modem. Have them set the router to wide open or DMZ, then it will basically act as a hub/switch.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 03:14:59 AM »

His biggest problems are going to be potential DHCP conflicts and the gateway setup.

IF your non-wireless router is your modem, see if you can get it to work by just hooking them all together.  Let the router/modem do it's thing, but for the wireless one, make sure you change the IP range it serves out for DHCP, and disable bridging.  Then just hook everything into the wireless router.

In effect, that setup would basically be using the first router as just a DSL modem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: