http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 06:55:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help upgrading Windows 7  (Read 673 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2010, 06:46:30 PM »

About 3-4 months ago I upgraded to Windows 7 Release Candidate. Unfortunately, my HD fried and I had to reinstall Win7 but I lost my CD key. I'm not sure how I should go about this, is there some way to retreive my RC CD key? Is that $50 upgrade still available?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 04:52:17 AM »

if it is a dl... you should be able to go back to your account and find your key...

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 05:34:18 AM »

I'd recommend not reinstalling the RC at this point. It's just a few short months away from the time when it'll start nagging you by rebooting every 2 hours. Get the full version or the upgrade. That way you'll save yourself from another reinstall in 3 months.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 07:37:53 AM »

Bah... I really don't want to blow $110 this week on a Windows upgrade. I think I'll drag my ass back to Vista, Win7 has a few snazzy little features but I didn't notice any difference in game performance.

Sean Lama
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 07:45:39 AM »

Alternatively you could be a little more clever: Reinstall the RC, but don't supply the activation code. You get at least 30 days to use the OS that way, though I think that can be extended. Be sure you follow the instructions available online for how to install the RC as the version you're going to upgrade to (ie. don't install the basic RC, which is Ultimate. If you do, you need to buy Ultimate in order to upgrade directly). When you buy the full version in a month or so, you can upgrade the already installed RC-version as long as it's the same type (ie Home Premium RC upgrades to Home Premium normal version). There are instructions easily available online for this too.

The point is, you can install Windows 7 now without worrying about paying for it until a little later. It's a little convoluted compared to a basic install of the full version, but at least it lets you avoid Vista. *shiver*
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:47:15 AM by TiLT » Logged
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 06:30:46 PM »

I couldn't go back to Vista...my general and game performance were increased so much by going to Win 7 that I would switch back to XP before Vista.  BTW, the RC is almost at the point of starting 2 hour shutdowns:

"Bi-hourly shutdowns of this build will begin on March 1, 2010"

You could also try to find a RTM copy that will last a few months longer.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 06:14:55 AM »

Did you guys all have to reformat when upgrading from RC to the full version? It's forcing me to, apparently  crybaby

Sean Lama
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 06:31:04 AM »

You have a few options, though none are ideal. You really should do a clean install to ensure that Windows works optimally, but there's nothing stopping you from following these instructions in order to do an upgrade.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 01:19:15 PM »

As a pro-tip, you don't need to copy the contents of the DVD anywhere - after you get through the first couple pages of setup (but before the upgrade compliance check), you can just open a command prompt and browse to the temp folder (with the funny name) that gets created at the root of your install drive.  Browse to the sources folder and edit cversion.ini there.  Save, close the file, then go back to setup and trigger the compliance check.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: