http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 04:34:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help: my verizon phone stinks, need to exchange somehow...  (Read 3098 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »

Long story short, I got the Razr Maxx just over one month ago, and I'm ready to throw it against the wall.  I had put it up for trade here, and since took it down as I would not feel good giving this phone to anyone.  It keeps rebooting, everything on it from the keyboard to sliding to another home page is stuttering and going slowly.  For example, I type something, the phone doesn't respond, I think my typing did not register, so I type again only to have the words suddenly appear fast and now jumbled.  This happens all the time.  I'm not impatient enough that I'm typing too fast or that I'm expecting instant, light-speed responses...

So I've had it.  I love Android phones in theory, but each one I've owned: Incredible, Thunderbolt, and this Razr Maxx have been unstable and very frustrating.  Yet when they work, they are great phones.  It is just that the frustration level is too much too often.

I want to exchange the phone but it is passed the 14 days, and they won't let me get the iPhone as it was an early upgrade (early due to a very problematic Thunderbolt).  Or they say Apple doesn't allow it.

Has anyone had a similar experience where they had a newly disfunctional phone and needed to replace it?  I have the insurance through Verizon, but I don't want a replacement - I don't want a Droid anymore.  I know the iPhone is a step back in many ways, 3g 4g, etc. but I don't friggin care.  I just want a stable phone.

So any ideas on how to tackle this situation?  Any experience dealing with Verizon in this capacity?  I will call them later, but I'd rather get informed first.  Thanks for reading this!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »

As someone that used to work for Cingular, you're looking at getting a refurb replacement of the same phone through any warranty process.  If you get a stellar rep/manager combo, they might work some magic for you to see what else they can do, but you'd be better off wishing for unilepricorns.  And you can fully expect the first line reps to have absolutely no ability to help resolve your issue past their warranty procedures.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:35:24 PM »

Well, you could buy an iphone at full price and activate it.  You could buy a used one and activate it.  You could then sell the RAZR, or if it's really crappy swap it out for the refurb before you activate the replacement and then sell the refurb.  There's almost no chance of getting upgrade pricing out of them so it's probably not worth the frustration of trying.

Which is worse, buying out the ETF or paying full price?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 07:46:26 PM »

You can try some of the Custom ROMs here:

* Please note that software labeled for GSM and software labeled for CDMA will ONLY work with their respective phone-types.
* Verizon RAZR and RAZR MAXX use the same software/ROMs and are both CDMA.

I  know that rooting/flashing Motorola Android phones can be tricky (though I've never had one), but in my experience, I've had better luck with the ROMs from xda on my phone than from the manufacturer.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:05:26 PM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on June 13, 2012, 04:46:17 PM

Long story short, I got the Razr Maxx just over one month ago, and I'm ready to throw it against the wall.  I had put it up for trade here, and since took it down as I would not feel good giving this phone to anyone.  It keeps rebooting, everything on it from the keyboard to sliding to another home page is stuttering and going slowly.  For example, I type something, the phone doesn't respond, I think my typing did not register, so I type again only to have the words suddenly appear fast and now jumbled.  This happens all the time.  I'm not impatient enough that I'm typing too fast or that I'm expecting instant, light-speed responses...

So any ideas on how to tackle this situation?  Any experience dealing with Verizon in this capacity?  I will call them later, but I'd rather get informed first.  Thanks for reading this!

Your phone is overheating. It has a built in 'failsafe' that reboots the phone if it overheats. It's definitely defective and taking it back should get it resolved. I had the same problem on an Evo 4G (same hw as the Thunderbolt), ended up going through 3 over 2 years before I got one that didn't have this problem. Granted, I had a second one that lasted 2 years before the micro-usb port died (luckily one week before I got my new phone).

I'd go back to the store (a corporate store, assuming Verizon has them) and tell them that you just got this phone and it's rebooting like it is it's job. While your waiting find the most processor intensive thing you can to make sure it starts rebooting on it's own in the store. (I suggest running Navigation at the same time you run a game, that should generate enough heat to start the reboot loop). They should swap it out, even if it's for a refurb it's will be free. Repeat until you get a stable phone.

Second, don't root your phone. It won't fix the problem unless you're going to underclock the processor. Even then, it's going to make getting them to honor the warranty a pain.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »

Great advice, thanks guys.  I'm going to see if I can maybe buy a slightly used iphone off craigs list and then try to sell my phone, or I'm going to just bring my phone in and see about a replacement.  I hate that I get a refurbished one instead of a new one, as I bought this new only a month ago.  Anyway, looks like a visit to the Verizon store to start with...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 09:43:45 PM »

The stores most likely won't have refurb phones.  But convincing them to trade for new might be a bit tough, especially if you're outside the return/exchange window.  But it might be worth the fight.

If you go through phone customer service, I can almost guarantee you it will be a refurb.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »

Update:
After posting the Razr Maxx to Craigslist, I continued to have problems.  It was truly a lemon of a phone.  I'm sure it was a random fluke, and others are problem free.  So two days ago I call my local Verizon store and speak to a lady who I think I talked with in store before buying the Razr.  She has no idea who I am but tells me to come in, ask for the manager, and they will look at the phone.

I head in and she instantly remembers me and tells the manager that I am cool, that I've been in before and been very funny (???).  I tell him the problems I've had with the Razr and Androids in general.  He says he'll check to see if they have a new Razr, but I tell him at this point I'd rather just have the iPhone.  He says fine.

Next thing I know, I am buying the new iPhone 4s, 64gb, at the two year contract price and minus the cost of the Razr.  I also paid the "restock" fee...  So finally, after having had 3 Droid Incredibles, 2 Thunderbolts, and the RM over the course of three years, Verizon did the right thing and let me do a straight easy exchange via the "manager's special". 

I've had the iPhone for only a couple days, but so far it has been excellent, stable, and fast.  After having multiple problems per day with the Razr, it is such a relief to have a stable phone.  And going from 4g to 3g has not been an issue.  I have yet to notice a drop in speed.  So far so good!

Here's one for the books, boys... I've read so much about dealing with these phone companies and the strict policies and unbudging supervisors in call centers with an occasional success story... I'm now one of those rare happy customers with a good, fair solution to a long, on-going problem.  And honestly, it's just a cell phone, but after constant problems with my cell phones (my wife thinks I have some electromagnetic current in me that disrupts tech such as phones and computers since I always have problems!), especially having hourly problems with the RM, it is such a relief to be problem free and finally stop worrying about my damn phone!
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 03:30:42 AM »

I'm glad they took care of you.  That's the way customer service is supposed to work.  I guess it's sad when we're surprised that it actually happens.  Enjoy your new phone.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:59:44 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on June 28, 2012, 03:30:42 AM

I'm glad they took care of you.  That's the way customer service is supposed to work.  I guess it's sad when we're surprised that it actually happens.  Enjoy your new phone.

Agreed. Enjoy the iPhone. Still love my 4 lots!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: