http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 01:42:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Advice on this CPU/MOBO/RAM Combo ASAP  (Read 3380 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2007, 03:19:02 AM »

Hey guys, I am back to thinking about upgrading my computer. Tax refund time is here and I got back more money than I thought and I can afford this now if I decide I want to pull the trigger (which is never a sure thing with me). I am pretty much set on what I want in concept, but am willing to listen to any advice. I know what chip I want, but I am currently trying to decide between a couple motherboards and a couple things of RAM-remember, as long as it works well, cheaper is better smile Would like some advice on these products:

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400

RAM(trying to decide between these two):
OCZ 2x1GB PC25400 DDR667-this one is cheaper.

OCZ 2x1gb PC25400 DDR667

Motherboard(my toughest category right now, willing to listen to advice):
Foxconn Quad Core Compatible I really want a quad core compatible board to make incremental updates easier in a year or so so I dont get trapped as much as I did with my last system.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 03:40:41 AM »

CPU is a solid choice.  If you go with some DDR2 800 (which is going to run you about 20 bucks more than your second choice) and this ASUS motherboard you'll have some nice room for overclocking.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 03:49:26 AM »

I also just noticed the Foxconn you selected has no SLI capability, but the ASUS does.  It'll be a nice option to have.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 11:25:57 AM »

Thanks dude, much obliged. If anyone else can give me some impressions by maybe noonish that would be very much appreciated. CK-checking out your links right now. The primary reason I stuck with that ram is because I read somewhere that a lot of the time, the 667 works just as fast as the 800 stuff.

Thanks again for the info CK, reading now smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 11:38:33 AM »

Now that I read that overclocking guide I wonder what the stability of the 5400/667 RAM would have been. GRR. Should I do it CK? Do I play enough PC games? I am trying to think the last time I upgraded the core components, and its scary to think its been..almost 2 years since I got this motherboard, and about 2.5 years since I got this chip. Shit, it might be time to upgrade smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 12:50:28 PM »

Thaaaattsss right. Find the justification. Don't wait for the must-have software to come out first.

Dude, hold the cash; put it in a new savings account and go later this year (like, september timeframe).

Otherwise your lightning-quick PC will be handling web browsing looking at SCREENSHOTS OF THE GAMES YOU WANT TO PLAY.

Prices will go down; patience will save you moniez.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 12:58:19 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 15, 2007, 12:50:28 PM

Thaaaattsss right. Find the justification. Don't wait for the must-have software to come out first.

Dude, hold the cash; put it in a new savings account and go later this year (like, september timeframe).

Otherwise your lightning-quick PC will be handling web browsing looking at SCREENSHOTS OF THE GAMES YOU WANT TO PLAY.

Prices will go down; patience will save you moniez.

Ok, I have no real problem with this concept, but seriously-what am I getting in September (other than the fact that some new games will be out) that is OMFGZ so much faster/cheaper than a 500$ upgrade for a new mobo, a very fast chip, and good RAM? Really-make it logical and simple for me and I am totally on board with waiting-but only if waiting has a real, tangible savings in power and cost and all that jazz (and a savings fund with 500$ isn't going to do me a lot!  icon_wink).

No really, if I could get rid of the damn memory leakage I seem to have, I could definately more easily get on board with this. TALK TO ME PURGE, YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 01:22:10 PM »

Calvin.

that $500 upgrade will be a $300 upgrade in september.

As to your memory leakage, I would run that memcheck program Mr.Brendan alluded to in your other system problem thread.

Also, rip out your Creative soundcard (if you have one). That alone fixes "Crap Unexplained". No seriously, I pulled mine out and that corn on my foot healed.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 01:44:54 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 15, 2007, 01:22:10 PM

Calvin.

that $500 upgrade will be a $300 upgrade in september.

As to your memory leakage, I would run that memcheck program Mr.Brendan alluded to in your other system problem thread.

Also, rip out your Creative soundcard (if you have one). That alone fixes "Crap Unexplained". No seriously, I pulled mine out and that corn on my foot healed.

I pulled out the Creative soundcard about a week or two ago-can't say it really fixed anything much just yet. I did the memcheck thing as well and it claims there are no errors outside the memory being a little overloaded or something...but there is still some reasonable slowdown and something that acts like a memory leak.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 02:43:55 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 15, 2007, 11:38:33 AM

Now that I read that overclocking guide I wonder what the stability of the 5400/667 RAM would have been. GRR. Should I do it CK? Do I play enough PC games? I am trying to think the last time I upgraded the core components, and its scary to think its been..almost 2 years since I got this motherboard, and about 2.5 years since I got this chip. Shit, it might be time to upgrade smile

heh, you're talking to a person who literally buys a new PC every 2 years instead of upgrading, but then again the PC's I usually get don't have much room for upgrading.  My new rig will be upgradable though, that was one of my goals when getting it and hopefully this one will last an extra year.  Frak, who am I kidding?  in 2 years there will be a new shiney and I'll be buying another PC for it  icon_twisted

Do you play enough PC games?  well, do you?  Is there anything coming out that you won't be able to run or can't wait to play until September?  If there's nothing then Purge is right and you may end up spending less then, or maybe you'll have more money to spend on parts.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the whole 'wait and you'll spend less' train of thought because by then there will be something new that you want and it will be more than what you were going to spend earlier.  Sure, I could have waited and got my HDTV for cheaper, but now there's 1080p sets and I would have ended up buying one of those for more than what I paid in November.

Because I can,
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »

I'd say go for it.  Maybe it'll fix the unstableness of your current configuration by upgrading & getting some new hardware.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 05:10:05 PM »

Quote from: depward on March 15, 2007, 03:58:00 PM

I'd say go for it.  Maybe it'll fix the unstableness of your current configuration by upgrading & getting some new hardware.

Blargle. I really don't know what to do. I am actually totally stumped.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 05:11:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 15, 2007, 02:43:55 PM

Quote from: Calvin on March 15, 2007, 11:38:33 AM

heh, you're talking to a person who literally buys a new PC every 2 years instead of upgrading, but then again the PC's I usually get don't have much room for upgrading.  My new rig will be upgradable though, that was one of my goals when getting it and hopefully this one will last an extra year.  Frak, who am I kidding?  in 2 years there will be a new shiney and I'll be buying another PC for it  icon_twisted

Do you play enough PC games?  well, do you?  Is there anything coming out that you won't be able to run or can't wait to play until September?  If there's nothing then Purge is right and you may end up spending less then, or maybe you'll have more money to spend on parts.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the whole 'wait and you'll spend less' train of thought because by then there will be something new that you want and it will be more than what you were going to spend earlier.  Sure, I could have waited and got my HDTV for cheaper, but now there's 1080p sets and I would have ended up buying one of those for more than what I paid in November.

These are really really good point. I wish I knew what to do. Thanks for confusing me!!  icon_wink
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 06:15:50 PM »

Note (in response to ceekay): the P965 is not an sli oriented chip. If you look closely, all the boards with 2 pci-e slots, are running them at 16 and 4 lanes each, respectively, unless I missed one. Also, whilst I know the 975 will do crossfire (but not normal SLI, unless they've somehow added support for it), I have no idea whether the 965 can actually support it, once you mount the cards.

All that said, my opinion on SLI is that it's fairly useless. Sure, you can mount two big honkin cards and gods own cpu, and run everything at wtfpwn speeds... but your average user cant afford that. Buy an SLI board with the thought for upgrading to a second video card later? By the time you purchase that vid card, the 6 month product cycle has likely caught you, and there's better stuff available on the market. God help you if they've stopped selling your card and you can no longer get a compatible product.

Much better off getting a single vid card, at the best speed you can afford, than trying to finagle two lesser units, and then fuss with SLI (and the headaches that sometimes go with it), as well.

Not saying SLI has no place in the world.. but basically, my opinion is that it's fairly irrelevant unless you're building a top end gaming beast, and buying both cards NOW. Otherwise, just get a single, faster, card, than the two you were planning to purchase.

If I were buying a rig tomorrow, I'd look hard at a p965 (or 975, though I dont need SLI), mboard, cpu, memory, and a single vid... probably a plain jane 8800GTX, to keep the cost down... Read an anandtech comparison of several factory overclocked 8800's, and for the GTX series, the performance advantage isn't more than 10-20%... and whilst the advantage for the GTS units is better, even the best one of the lot, didnt match a baseline GTX (though admittedly it came fairly close)

Hope this helps.

Atomic

PS: Save money on memory. You're better off with more gigs of  slightly lesser 'performance' memory, then half the gigs, but a few % faster. I love my corsair ram, but I could have had 2 gigs instead of 1 at the price I paid, and would have been better off. Note that your mileage will vary on this one. Figure out where the performance break is for the memory, and pick up some decent ram that gives you enough performance to match that. Then go for quantity.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 06:42:21 PM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 06:27:11 PM »

I take it back. I've thought of one situation where having two cards would be preferable. If you're running a silent/quiet pc with minimal active cooling, and want more graphics firepower, then running a pair of passive gpu's (which usually can't be had in top end configurations), would indeed be a reasonable use of SLI.

Atomic
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 06:45:19 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on March 15, 2007, 06:27:11 PM

I take it back. I've thought of one situation where having two cards would be preferable. If you're running a silent/quiet pc with minimal active cooling, and want more graphics firepower, then running a pair of passive gpu's (which usually can't be had in top end configurations), would indeed be a reasonable use of SLI.

Atomic

Atomic-let me be clear, even though CK recommended that board, I have ZERO interest in SLI. If that Foxconn board can overclock reasonably well I am fine with that-since you commented on absolutely everything else, what do you think? Is it a reasonable investment of money for what I get? Is it worth it?

Upgrading from
Athlon 64 3000+
MSI K8 Mobo
Corsair Valueselect(cheapstuff) 3200 DDRAM.

I have an 8800GTS, and it is completely capped by my CPU. Give me a reason!!
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 06:55:12 PM »

Foxconn makes decent stuffs, but there's a biostar unit that caught my attention a while back. Anandtech had a good opinion of it, and... not having used it... I'd tend to agree with them...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138037

Notice the slot layout on the board. Even with a doubleslot cooling solution on the vid... no other slots are blocked. This may or may not be relevant.

However, look at the entire board specs... it uses the ICH8 southbridge, instead of the ICH8R, so no onboard raid. Not sure what your needs are in that area. The foxconn can use a few more sata drives without needing an adapter.

Atomic

(the foxconn board looks solid... 100$ is about right for a basic 965 board, from what I can tell... it's a case of which one you like better.. I tend to pass on stuff like say, the asus commando... that lcd module readout is WAAAAAAY overpriced)
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 07:04:11 PM »

For the record, you old setup is nearly an exact match for mine...

athlon64 3500+
msi k8n neo4 platinum mb (modded to passive cool the northbridge.. god that 40mm fan howled)
corsair XL3200PRO ram (2-2-2-5 timings, woot!), but only 1 gig.. boo hiss.

current video is an ati x800-xl built by sapphire, and modded by me with a zalman cooler. even wired it to the onboard fan controller so the card still controls the fanspeed biggrin
* TheAtomicKid has been seriously considering upgrading the old video lately

Atomic

(edit):I think I have to take this back... if he's using a 3000+, he's using a socket 754 board, unless I'm mistaken
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:25:34 PM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 07:13:03 PM »

Ok, thanks so much for the info on the Foxconn, I am still considering that board-but you still haven't told me if you think its a good price vs power investment smile

I mean, with similar rigs-what are you thinking? I mean, I absolutely do not NEED it, but I am completely CPU/RAM throttled right now.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 07:20:23 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on March 15, 2007, 06:55:12 PM

Foxconn makes decent stuffs, but there's a biostar unit that caught my attention a while back. Anandtech had a good opinion of it, and... not having used it... I'd tend to agree with them...

(the foxconn board looks solid... 100$ is about right for a basic 965 board, from what I can tell... it's a case of which one you like better.. I tend to pass on stuff like say, the asus commando... that lcd module readout is WAAAAAAY overpriced)

In terms of price/performance, you're doing good. Right now, core2 duo is the way to go. Intel did a good job with the architecture. Pound for pound, and clock for clock, it outruns everything else on the retail market right now, because it's more efficient per clock cycle.

A hundred smackers is pretty average for a 965 board. You got the basics. It's a question of do you want a couple extra sata ports, or does it have enough usb ports, etc. Just compare the boards vs features, lop off the super expensive ones like the commando unless you just really gotta have something like that lcd, and decide what's important to you.

If I were upgrading now, the foxconn would be on the consideration list. It might or might not be my final selection, but it'd be on the list.

Does that help?

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 07:27:15 PM »

See my edit above. If you're currently using a socket 754 athlon64 3000+ based system, that core2 duo will be nice upgrade.

Atomic

PS: My current ugprade plan is to 'wait and see' on the new barcelona cpu's from AMD
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:34:54 PM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 07:43:43 PM »

It absolutely does. Basically now I need you to look into the future and tell me if spending 520$  to get:
Foxconn Mobo
Core2Duo6400
2GB OCZ Gold DDR800 RAM

Is going to give me enough of a performance boost that I wont regret getting that same deal for maybe...420$ in September...if it even goes down that much!

Woops posted after you-so you think a wait and see might be best..?
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 07:55:44 PM »

Well... intel is already cutting prices in prep for barcelona... so I guess that's a judgement call to buy now vs buying later.

The market is like the sea... stuff washes up on shore over time, at high prices... then slowly gets sucked back out to sea (with the price dropping over time), until it disappears later on.

The core2 duo stuffs are coming down nicely in price... because of time, and because barcelona is coming soon. If they can encourage people to buy core2 duo now, those people will be less likely to buy barcelona later this year, so to speak. A double win.

For 500$, you got a reasonable upgrade, I'd think.  Solid basics. Decent chip, 2 gigs of ram. And in all likelyhood, barcelona wont actually outperform core2 (quad)... it might achieve parity...

Right now, quad core cpu setups are too expensive for my blood. I personally want to see what barcelona looks like when it lands.. it's a single chip native quad core solution, with a new L3 cache shared between the cores... but the architecture for the chip isn't changing, so the performance per core per clockcycle wont change much.

in your case, you're looking at a dual core cpu setup.. and right now, the core2 duo is the best performer on the market. You've got a reasonable 500$ upgrade there.. so the question is, do you want to wait for a while longer, and see what washes up on shore later, or do you want to push that button now?

Atomic

PS: You already got the graphics card.. that makes things easier.. me, I 'need' a new card too biggrin
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 08:09:12 PM »

Great advice man, thanks. Now I guess its up to me to agonize over it!
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 08:11:29 PM »

Here's an idea.

If you're not going to reuse your old setup, you could consider one of the remaining socket 939 boards on the market. Pop in a nice dual core chip, and you could reuse your memory, which would save you some money. An higher end s939 cpu will give you approx the same performance as a slower speed core2 duo cpu... not sure how the prices would compare, but you'd get off without having to buy new memory.

The new ddr-2 based systems arent really that much faster because of the ram, they're faster because of the new cpu's... although memory performance is slowly increasing the gap as ddr-2 gets faster and the cpu's start needing more ram bandwidth.

Just an idea... I'd been considering upgrading to a dual core s939 chip myself as a sort of 'get me by' upgrade. You'd need a motherboard too, but the s939 boards are getting pretty cheap. *goes to check newegg*

Atomic
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 08:15:59 PM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 08:17:16 PM »

On that note, I'm out of the house. Errands, etc.

Good luck with your choices!

Atomic
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 12:52:42 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 15, 2007, 05:10:05 PM

Quote from: depward on March 15, 2007, 03:58:00 PM

Blargle. I really don't know what to do. I am actually totally stumped.

Because I can,
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2007, 03:15:48 AM »

Well since I just read this yesterday, why don't I toss this in to Confuse you even more. If you can stand to wait all the way for Quarter 3 price cuts (yes, Q3!), then you should practically salivate over what you can get cpu-wise for the $. Always the case, I know, I know, but Intel's roadmap for pricecutting looks teeth rattlingly beyond aggressive, a price-war salvo dropping of their premium stuff to undercut AMD's next gen:

Thread at slickdeals: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=472352

http://dailytech.com/Intels+Next+Desktop+Launch+Details+Revealed/article6484.htm

http://www.dailytech.com/Aggressive+Intel+Quadcore+Price+Cuts+Before+Barcelona/article6488.htm

For the record, I did my own 6300 Core2Duo incremental buildout last fall ($179 Frys retail cpu/mb combo deal, w/a basically free ECS matx mb included in the combo, while recycling the vid card & some raid0 raptor drives) just to get in the core2 duo door. Plus always wanted to build a mini/matx system. Have no regrets. 

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 05:55:29 AM »

Quote from: Speaker2Animals on March 17, 2007, 03:15:48 AM

Well since I just read this yesterday, why don't I toss this in to Confuse you even more. If you can stand to wait all the way for Quarter 3 price cuts (yes, Q3!), then you should practically salivate over what you can get cpu-wise for the $. Always the case, I know, I know, but Intel's roadmap for pricecutting looks teeth rattlingly beyond aggressive, a price-war salvo dropping of their premium stuff to undercut AMD's next gen:

Thread at slickdeals: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=472352

http://dailytech.com/Intels+Next+Desktop+Launch+Details+Revealed/article6484.htm

http://www.dailytech.com/Aggressive+Intel+Quadcore+Price+Cuts+Before+Barcelona/article6488.htm

For the record, I did my own 6300 Core2Duo incremental buildout last fall ($179 Frys retail cpu/mb combo deal, w/a basically free ECS matx mb included in the combo, while recycling the vid card & some raid0 raptor drives) just to get in the core2 duo door. Plus always wanted to build a mini/matx system. Have no regrets. 

Actually that helps a lot. That tells me if I am going to upgrade to move my cpu down to a 6300 and get a decent motherboard and get my foot in the door-if the prices are as good as you say I have no problem moving the CPU only out in 8 months and getting one of the new ones at those insane prices. It might be my best option. Thanks for the thoughts.
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 12:25:56 PM »

Calvin, then chose your M/B carefully and well. Very well. (And post your choice here). B/c I'll may well want the same m/b.  nod

I know I'll have to change m/bs anyway: my foot-in-door combo w/ the freebie m/b was win/win at the time, but has NO future - heck barely a present - is AGP & only 2 DDR2 slots - great at the time as allowed me to fulfill top 2 goals: (1) get a duocore & m/b for under $200 & (2) recycle my then still  current agp X850XT card - but the m/b is gonna have to go soon.

So I may well do :
mid 2007: better m/b, for a pci-e vid card (shooting for dx10? will any of those cards be out & affordable this year?);
@ BlackFriday/Xmas: One of those Q3 price drop chips.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2007, 06:18:52 PM »

Ok Speaker, along the lines of the upgrade we have been discussing I have been doing research on what I think are affordable parts that will serve us well in the future for an upgrade to the new Core 2 Duos. My weakest part here is the RAM, I really can't figure out what I think will be good. I have settled on a mobo I think I will get if I do this, but I have a couple RAM options I will list.
Everyone feel free to chime in as well.

Motherboard:
MSI P6N SLI Platinum-155$

RAM (all RAM is DDR2800 PC26400):
Mushkin Value Series 2x1GB 160 after 50$ rebate

Mushkin 2x1GB 185 after 40$ rebate

Patriot Extreme Performance 160 after 50$ rebate. This is the RAM I am leaning towards right now.

Ok, thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 06:35:25 PM by Calvin » Logged
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2007, 11:53:51 PM »

The motherboard looks like a good choice. I'm big on passively cooling the board these days, and MSI makes solid hardware. the 650i chipset looks like a good compromise... you get a full 16x slot for single card video, and 8x8 (minimal performance hit) if you decide to buy a second card and enable SLI... if not you get to use the second 16x slot in 4x mode... there are some nice raid controllers that will fit that... or possibly a physics processor... etc.

outta curiousity on the ram... what OS will you be running? should you be considering 4 gigs instead of 2?

Atomic

PS: If you haven't already read it (I'm going through it thoroughly as I write this), anandtech covered this board... http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2946  ... so you'll probably be interested in checking that out.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2007, 11:58:11 PM »

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2869&p=2

displays the differences between the different nvidia 680/650 chipsets, if you're insterested.

Atomic
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2007, 12:17:24 AM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on March 17, 2007, 11:53:51 PM

The motherboard looks like a good choice. I'm big on passively cooling the board these days, and MSI makes solid hardware. the 650i chipset looks like a good compromise... you get a full 16x slot for single card video, and 8x8 (minimal performance hit) if you decide to buy a second card and enable SLI... if not you get to use the second 16x slot in 4x mode... there are some nice raid controllers that will fit that... or possibly a physics processor... etc.

outta curiousity on the ram... what OS will you be running? should you be considering 4 gigs instead of 2?

Atomic

PS: If you haven't already read it (I'm going through it thoroughly as I write this), anandtech covered this board... http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2946  ... so you'll probably be interested in checking that out.

Thanks man, I will absolutely read it tonight. I am going for 2gb now, and may well go to 4 by Xmas when I probably get one of the new release chips. For now I will likely go with Vista, but I very very on the fence about this. Anyways, did you have any thoughts on the RAM?
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2007, 12:22:49 AM »

Mushkin is a good name for memory. Patriot I dont know. I tend to buy 'name' ram, but you dont necessarily gotta buy the most expensive stuff available. For instance, lately, Corsair 'value select' ram has been looking mighty tastey. Basically, figure out what you need the ram to run at optimally, timings and total capacity, and then find something you're comfy with. For instance, can you fill all four slots on the board without degrading performance? I think you can, with the core2 chipsets and/or ddr2, but I'm not sure. What timings are best? 4-4-4-12? 5-5-5-12? If you were buying an athlon64 with ddr ram, I could tell you to shoot for something like 2-2-2-7 for optimal ram performance, and only use 2 sticks in a dual channel setup.. but with core2, I dont have the numbers.

Can anyone chime in on this? Will he be able to use all four dimms without issues? What timings are optimal and with which chipsets?

Atomic
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2007, 04:11:04 AM »

As to ram, maybe consider this?:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=40&threadid=2003479&enterthread=y

Seems to me maybe the best current Bang-For-The-Buck out there.... That anandtech thread goes back to early Feb; about @$120-something (give or take, from week to week) for 2 gb, NO REBATES to mess w/. And most people seem satisfied. Long discussion on the brand, super-talent, and timings, value, etc, in that thread if you soldier thru.  I've loosely/sorta been following the thread,trying to decide whether to fiddle/revise w/ what I've already got (1.5 gb of couple dif kinds).
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2007, 05:03:21 AM »

Ok thanks SA, I will check that out-I am still nervous about RAM even with the glowing reccomendations. I know the Patriot brand is at least a little bit known, and of course Mushkin is considered high end-so we will have to see. Thanks!
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2007, 09:24:43 PM »

Quote from: Speaker2Animals on March 17, 2007, 03:15:48 AM

That's some good info right there. I guess a monitor is the only purchase i'll be making sometime soon.

Thanks
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2007, 01:49:04 PM »

The Q3 cuts are when I plan to do my mobo/processor upgrade.

That said.. I'd still go at it now. You have so much trouble with the hardware you have I can't imagine sticking it out for months more of this year for what would be far from huge savings.

Oh, and are you set on an SLI board?

Just checking.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2007, 12:23:42 AM »

Hey Calvin!

Here's the memory I just put in my rig: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820211066

I ran Memtest for 24 hours to test the memory and had zero errors.

I'm feeling warm and fuzzy  icon_smile

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: