http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 07:59:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a new video card and looking for help  (Read 492 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2014, 05:36:42 AM »

Well, apparently my Nvidia 570 has hit its end of life with Thief. The 'paltry' 1.25GB of VRAM just is absolutely not enough in this day and age, despite everything else working quite well otherwise (been able to run basically max settings on all games I've played, but Thief I'm at Normal Textures because of the VRAM usage).

So in short, I'm looking for something that has 2GB of VRAM (at least) that'll be a decent upgrade without breaking the bank (and Nvidia preferred).

I game at 1920x1080 and never run AA of any kind (I just don't see the benefit at that resolution) so that'll keep the VRAM usage down for the future.

Any ideas?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-4.html
almost seems to be a pretty solid start, but I don't know if there's anything else out there. I'm kinda behind things nowadays.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 10:34:03 AM »

I'll step in and advise that 2GB of vram is a _minimum_ upgrade these days for smooth gaming, especially towards the upper end of the spectrum, which 1080p qualifies as.

You said don't break the bank. Might I suggest a gtx 760 with 4GB? Should run around $300. Or a 770 which will set you back another Benjamin.

After these, your next step up is a plain-jane GTX 780... which is what I'm currently using at the 1920x1080 resolution you're targeting. And yes, it works great. Figure I've got another two years out of this card minimum, assuming Star Citizen doesn't eat its lunch. (it's a little sluggish atm, but I assume tuning will bring performance up as they go)

Gaming res is increasing. Game texture resolutions are increasing. Stuff like post-processing and AA are getting more intensive. (yes I noticed you mentioned no AA atm)

Thing to remember folks... if you want the nice screen and the big game textures... the gpu you need to drive it at decent framerates starts getting pretty expensive frown

Atomic
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »

My new computer also has a GTX 780 3GB and so far so good. I run at 1920x1200 but I'm not real finicky on all the AA, FSAA and other those other settings which I've forgotten how to use Roll Eyes.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 03:17:48 PM »

I'm also in the market and also as clueless as Destructor.  Is there anything in particular I'd need to have in a video card to be future-proof enough to have good performance when the Oculus Rift comes out?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 07:01:16 PM »

What about the recently released (and cheap) GTX 750? Or is that just too low end for future proofing (but then there might be another nice cheap card coming out at that point)?

And as mentioned above, VRAM seems to be the most important bit - my card is still plenty good for gaming. It just can't hold all the textures that are used nowadays.

The GTX 760 sounds like a good balance between cost and power though. Any specific one in particular?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 08:48:24 PM »

I've been happy with the ASUS cards. I'm on my second one now (780). They're just $10 more than the reference card prices, a bit faster, and run pretty quiet.

For Thief my experience with the ASUS 780 I'm getting 60fps average according to the benchmark with everything up except SSAO at low and AF at 8x - this is at 1920x1200. But even when I had everything on the highest settings it seemed to be running fine. Its just the cut sequences that will sometimes get slowdown. So I'm not sure how accurate the in-game benchmark is. I should also note I'm using NVidia's Adaptive Sync which probably smooth things out as it works wonderful in most games.

I found this one German article that shows game performance on various cards: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Thief-4-PC-98521/Specials/Thief-Grafikarten-und-Prozessor-Benchmarks-Mit-dieser-Hardware-gehen-Sie-ohne-Ruckler-auf-Diebestour-1110793/

I would think with a 1920x1080 resolution you would want at least a 770 card to give yourself a bit of wiggle room. But yeah the price of course is a big increase.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »

First things first, whats your budget? Breaking the bank can vary widely..
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:59:07 PM »

FYI I just read this review for the MSI GTX 760 Gaming ITX OC card (what a mouth full). And its actually pretty impressive for a $260 card: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/65554-msi-gtx-760-gaming-itx-oc-review.html
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 05:59:11 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on February 28, 2014, 10:59:07 PM

FYI I just read this review for the MSI GTX 760 Gaming ITX OC card (what a mouth full). And its actually pretty impressive for a $260 card: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/65554-msi-gtx-760-gaming-itx-oc-review.html

That's a pretty solid card based on the review. And right in my price range (of basically $300 or so - I'm really not interested in dropping $500 for a card unless it's powered by magic or something biggrin ) as well.

Maybe I'll end up with a GTX 760 of some sort. Seems to be right in that sweet spot.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 06:30:50 AM »

I finally found the link to the article on Tom's Hardware, Best Graphics Cards For The Money: February 2014. The linked page is the high end card (which I got) but the drop down at top gives you access to their choices in other price ranges.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 06:38:52 PM »

Well, I grabbed myself, well, this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741

Nvidia GTX 770 2GB. It's slightly smaller than my 570, has much more fanage on it, runs quieter, and it's quite a bit more powerful. A win-win all around. biggrin

Thanks for the help, all.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: