http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 03:36:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Vista Experience  (Read 1810 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2007, 11:15:38 PM »

This will ultimately turn into a review, but I'm going to chronicle my Vista experience in here.  I'll probably have bullets and stories intermixed, so enjoy trying to decipher my stream of consciousness writing style.

Day One
I purchased my copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (Full) today.  I had a gift card and little patience, so I ignored my usual "Wait till Service Pack 1" upgrade plan and picked it up.  I returned home and began the backup process as my original configuration was, for all intents and purposes, fucked up beyond belief.  My C drive is my storage drive, D drive contains windows, C and D are one drive partitioned seemingly at random, and my 300GB 7200 RPM and 160GB 10,000 RPM drives are for storage/backup and playing games, respectively.  As my images to burn were being built by Nero BackItUp 6.0 I tore open the oddly shaped black box to see what was inside - I was in for a surprise.  I pulled forth a copy of Windows Vista Business and began to scratch my head.  The plastic didn't look unsealed...perhaps just a simple shipping error?   I contacted the store manager to inquire about this issue and was informed that they would not take the software as it had been opened, compromising the key.  I applauded his knowledge and cursed the policy that would leave me stuck looking like I was trying to pull a bait and switch.  I went home and immediately contacted Microsoft.

I talked to a representative named Laura.  She was completly unsure of what to do, but referred me to Microsoft's Money Back Guarantee department. (It would have been nice to know this existed around the launch of Windows Millenium!) I contacted this guarantee department and found that they are a Monday through Friday shop, and this was Saturday of course.  I called back and spoke with a customer service representative named Keith M.  Keith was far more eager to help me than Laura was and completely understood my catch-22.  He put me on hold to research the issue and came back with a solution.  We worked together with the product key folks and generated a new key to replace my existing one.  Needless to say I was blown away at not only their willingness to help, but also how eager they were to ensure I had a great experience with their product.  Perhaps it is all the time I spend around bitter Linux folk but tales of Microsoft's incompetince were legion - they were also apparently untrue.  Key in hand I completed the rest of my backup and put my system into hibernation until the next day where my Vista experience would begin in full.

Day Two
I inserted the Windows Vista DVD, knowing that all versions of the OS are on the disc, and proceeded with an install directly from Windows.  I put in my product key and it was immediately recognized as a Vista Ultimate code.  I pressed forward with the install and chose a clean install, knowing that I would need to reconfigure the partitions on my trainwreck drive setup.  Moving forward I was asked where I would like to place this new operating system, but also advised that I would be unable to change drive partitions from within the Vista shell being created within XP.  I would have to reboot using the DVD.  I had read at several technical sites that booting from the Vista DVD would simply fail and I would be unable to load the OS that way.  Once again fear, uncertainty, doubt, and misinformation were the watchwords of the day - I booted directly into the Vista installer. 

I like to joke that Windows starts and ends with a Blue Screen.  Well, I'll have to scrap that joke as the installer for Vista looks very much like the upgrade installer look.  It has a slick green background and the refresh rate won't make your eyes explode. (anyone who has fresh installed 2000 Pro knows what I mean)  Presented with the option to modify my partitions, I pressed ahead.  The new partition manager looks very much like the partition system in a Red Hat Linux install.  I could clearly see which drive was which, what configuration they were in, and what space was available.  I deleted my C and D drive, rejoining them as a single drive once again, and pressed forward.  Windows didn't make me watch a bar telling me it was formatting my system (it does this in any NT-based OS), but simply began installing and configuring.  I went out and mowed the lawn.

I came back about 45 minutes later and Vista was asking me to chose my timezone, the date, as well as a name and icon for my profile.  I chose my name and icon and pressed next, surprised not to be prompted for any networking options.  Vista pressed forward with its install unattended, and I grabbed a quick shower.  I came back and Vista was waiting for me to log in for the first time.  This install is literally as simple as it could possibly be (so far).  I couldn't have been more pleased.

Vista signed me in and immediately began downloading updates as I chose automatic updates during install.  It completed its first update 8 items in just a few moments and then asked to reboot my machine.  I did so and logged back in.  I was given a box that showed what the updates did and whether they were successful or not.  I went to Windows Update again and found another 22 updates.  These took a bit longer as it totalled a whopping 2,501.8mb download.  You can't say they aren't patching!   While I waited I figured I'd activate this beast.

Right clicking on the Vista start....uh...marble?  Start button?  Whatever the fuck it is, I right clicked on it and switched to Classic View immediately.  I hate the "normal" start menu and its lack of clutter.  I store stuff on my desktop folks!  I digress.  I then right clicked on the My Computer Icon and got into my system properties.  In here I was told that my Windows Experience Index is a 4.9 out of 5.0.  Nice to know since I'm already here!  It also listed out my Processor, RAM, my 32-bit OS type, my PC name, workgroup, and my Windows Activation status.  It advised that I had but three days before it would auto-attempt to activate.  I clicked the "Activate now" button and was told fairly instantly that my registration was successful.  A blue icon appeared on the right telling me that I was all genuine and whatnot.  Simple.

Office 2007
Knowing that Office 2007 and Vista are matched up like two cousins at a rodeo, I installed my shiny new copy of Office 2007 Professional.  The copy I was sent was a download only, and I was shocked to find that the package was a mere 350mb in size.  The installer asked for my key and asked where I'd like to install the software, and then did exactly that in what has to be record time for an Office product.  I clicked finish and went to the update page.  It asked for registration for free updates, so I did exactly that by signing in with my Live ID.  Sadly, it sent me to some other random Office page, and not to my update page, but a little more digging should yield the page I want.  I've never updated Office in my life though, so I don't think I'll cry if I can't find the update page. 

Upon opening Word for the first time, I was prompted to immediately register the product.  I guess they mean business on this activation thing, eh?  I activated via the Internet, and once again it was immediately completed.  It suggested that I restart Word to restore any functionality that had been limited by my pending registration.  Upon re-opening Word I was greeted by a pulsing....marble...for Office, this time in the upper left corner.  If I can get one in each corner, perhaps my monitor will turn into a pool table?   Again, I digress.  Word worked exactly as it has in the past, just with all of the productivity items scrambled all over the place.  Before you switch, I'd suggest trying out the trial version - you could very well hate the change.

Update: I found the Office Update page.  I can't make this shit up:
"The Office Update service is currently not supported on Microsoft Windows Vista. You can, however, get Office updates for Office XP, Office 2003, and the 2007 Office system by opting into the Microsoft Update service."

Oh Irony...you crazy bitch.

Device Manager
I survived the great mess that was Windows Millenium and the horrible driver support it brought to the table.  It was eclipsed by early versions of Windows 2000 and the driver support that it trickled to users over several patches.  I was very nervous for my install of Vista.  It seems that my install woes would be pretty easy to overcome as there were only two devices that weren't automatically and immediately installed - my Creative Labs Audigy 2 sound card, and some unknown device.  It was going to be hard to track down this mystery item, but as I trekked to the page for Creative labs to get my Vista driver, Windows suggested that I download an ACPI update for my system.  Unfortunately, it suggested that it might be in the Windows Update system, which it was not.  A quick search of the net for this device yielded many discussions on this very issue.  I visited the support page for Asus and found the update for the ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY - it didn't state that it was for Vista, and unfortunately it wouldn't install.  Headed back to Google I ran by a post on PlanetAMD64.com that stated that installing AIBooster from Asus would solve the issue.  I figured it couldn't hurt, so I gave it a try.  It turns out that they were wrong. 

Things I've not tested yet:
- games
- Oh shit...I hope this Nero Backup software works in vista...I might have three coasters if it doesn't.  Thankfully I backed up everything to my storage drive as well as DVD.
- movies
- media center
- Xbox 360 connectivity

Things that are broken:
- What is this mysterious unknown device?  Is it nefarious?  Should I be worried? 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 12:50:09 AM by Knightshade Dragon » Logged

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 12:34:02 AM »

Perhaps the unknown device is the Audigy?

Your windows experience score will be the lowest common denominator of all of your components:  so, 4.9 is the single lowest score.  Memory?  Disk speed?

Also, you might want to try the new start menu - I used 'classic' in XP, but the search bar in the vista start menu is actually useful (and usable), so it's frequently quicker for me to start typing the program I'm looking for rather than select through multiple menus.

Are you getting Windows Dreamscene in the Ultimate Extras?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 01:20:56 AM »

Yeah, don't forget MS did some stuff with the whole sound system that kinda borks EAX.  I'm not sure if that would affect the sound card actually being detected though.  It was the reason I decided to give on-board sound a try this time around.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 01:59:19 AM »

God, I have a write up of my Vista experience that will add nicely to this, especially for providing a very negative counter-opinion. Perhaps tomorrow if work is slow.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 01:59:39 AM »

You will have to get the beta driver from Creative's Site...I had to do that for my Audigy and my Xifi.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 02:01:22 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 19, 2007, 01:59:19 AM

God, I have a write up of my Vista experience that will add nicely to this, especially for providing a very negative counter-opinion. Perhaps tomorrow if work is slow.

I haven't had any issues with vista...the only issue I had when I purchased my 8800GTX and the drivers weren't out yet for Vista...gg Nvidia biggrin

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 02:15:02 AM »

Looks like the non-beta driver was released 2 days ago:

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?searchString=SBAXVSD_PCDRV_LB_2_12_0002.exe
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 05:45:56 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 18, 2007, 11:15:38 PM

Update: I found the Office Update page.  I can't make this shit up:
"The Office Update service is currently not supported on Microsoft Windows Vista. You can, however, get Office updates for Office XP, Office 2003, and the 2007 Office system by opting into the Microsoft Update service."

Oh Irony...you crazy bitch.

It actually makes sense, since they are two different things.  "Windows Update" is exclusively for Windows, while "Microsoft Update" is for both Windows any any MS software they choose to give updates for (thus far I've only noticed Office and SQL).  Now that "MS Update" is working, they are kind of pulling back from the Office Update page (since it's not really needed so much; heck, I may have been the only person using it, haha).

Next time you update a new Windows machine, there should be a banner somewhere suggesting an upgrade to Microsoft Update.  I generally get all the Windows stuff completed before switching over, but more to avoid any potential problems than because I've actually had (or heard about) one.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 05:47:47 AM by unbreakable » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 12:48:49 AM »

So I talked to Asus about this ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY and they flat out told me that this board is not Vista compliant, I'll have stability issues, and that it had severe problems under XP as well.  The tech then went on to tell me that they won't be 'digging up an old board' to write drivers for it, so I'd have to rely on 3rd party drivers for this device. 

Wow....a board that I purchased last year is completely garbage according to Asus.  Guess I won't be buying their boards anymore. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 01:03:02 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 20, 2007, 12:48:49 AM

So I talked to Asus about this ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY and they flat out told me that this board is not Vista compliant, I'll have stability issues, and that it had severe problems under XP as well.  The tech then went on to tell me that they won't be 'digging up an old board' to write drivers for it, so I'd have to rely on 3rd party drivers for this device. 

Wow....a board that I purchased last year is completely garbage according to Asus.  Guess I won't be buying their boards anymore. 

Uh...holy crap. And to say that I've pointed people into buying ASUS boards in the past... That's not a good thing.

Maybe you just bought a really old board last year?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 02:08:44 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 20, 2007, 01:03:02 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 20, 2007, 12:48:49 AM

Uh...holy crap. And to say that I've pointed people into buying ASUS boards in the past... That's not a good thing.

Maybe you just bought a really old board last year?

Still, what are the options?  Replace the board?  Oh...well, that means I have to buy a new processor and RAM too since its AM2 and DDR3 now.  Oh wait, can't forget socket F for AMD...guess I'd have to go up to those?  Fuck that, I'll see just how stable this thing is. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 02:44:40 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 20, 2007, 02:08:44 AM

Still, what are the options?  Replace the board?  Oh...well, that means I have to buy a new processor and RAM too since its AM2 and DDR3 now.  Oh wait, can't forget socket F for AMD...guess I'd have to go up to those?  Fuck that, I'll see just how stable this thing is. 

And since you replaced the motherboard, wouldn't you have to call up Microsoft to get it pass verification again? Or was that only an XP thing?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 04:16:35 AM »

Just out of curiosity what ASUS mobo do you have?

So far my Vista experience has been smooth.  I got my PC's seeing each other but I'm going to read over the tweaking guide to see what should be changed.  I got a 5.1 on the test, and apparently my CPU is what brought it down to that  icon_frown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 04:50:59 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 20, 2007, 02:44:40 AM

And since you replaced the motherboard, wouldn't you have to call up Microsoft to get it pass verification again? Or was that only an XP thing?

I've done that in the past.  Simply put in your product ID (not the key, but the long ass number) and it auto-fixed me. 

And I have an Asus A8N-SLI board.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 12:58:11 PM »

All this is just reinforcing my determination to forge the stream over to the linux side, rather than be forced to shell out even more cash for microsoft OS upgrades. I'll admit, win xp has been a really good experience for me, and I'll probably use it for a while longer, but I'm getting tired of shelling out the smackers every couple of years for a brand new buggy product. Which XP was as well, at release.. I waited until SP2 was out to make the switch from win2000.

It also irks me that they've yanked a lot of the promised features from vista, like the new windows file system, in order to push it out the door.

The only thing really holding me back at this point, is games, and general laziness in not wanting to go through all the work of swapping over.

Also, the idea of product activation, and 'software lease' in general, make me want to puke. It's the longest running excuse for pushing bugged product out the door I've ever seen. Think how bad life would be if auto-manufacturers were allowed to put cars on the street with the same quality level at release. Yeah, the new 2007 xxx is an awesome car... and we're working to get the airbag's functioning.. hopefully we can include it in the first service pack...

Bleah.

Sad to hear about ASUS not wanting to support a 1 year old product. That's shameful. How hard could it be to write  a vista driver for an nvidia chipset based motherboard? And a recent one at that? To be honest I wonder whether the lack of support is even legal? Definitely making note of this, as I had a great deal of respect for Asus as a company, until I read this...

I know the complete package (hardware + software) is an incredibly complicated beast to balance and tweak and get running correctly, from a manufacturing/programming standpoint, but it's getting beyond ridiculous what a company will let slide in order to get product on the shelves.

Atomic

Severe problems under XP? My motherboard is at least as old as that (an msi k8n neo4 platinum (nforce 4 ultra based)), and runs flawlessly under XP... that's strange.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 01:59:05 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 20, 2007, 04:50:59 AM

Is it this one perhaps?

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard

If so, I guess I have yet another reason not to upgrade to Vista anytime soon.

Spiff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 02:56:49 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 20, 2007, 02:44:40 AM

I've done that in the past.  Simply put in your product ID (not the key, but the long ass number) and it auto-fixed me. 

Which drivers are you trying to find?

If you go to Nvidia's website you can download the nForce 4 platform drivers for that motherboard. They're available for both 32 and 64 bit Vista, along with XP and Server 2003. You can then go to Realtek's site and get the audio drivers.

I have the same board, and never used the drivers from Asus's site. Part of the problem was that half the time I tried to check for updates, you couldn't get to the server. I am not currently running Vista with that board though.

"I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles"
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 03:22:35 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 20, 2007, 01:59:05 PM

Is it this one perhaps?

Nono... there is an A8N-SLI and the newer A8N32-SLI. Two different boards.

Ron, I have the same one. If I tell it to suspend, I gotta flick the POWER SUPPLY off.

I flashed with the latest firmware and reset bios; that seemed to fix the problem. Also, turn your ASUS CPU temp off. That fixed the crashing for me. Hell, with that temp gauge on, I couldn't even BOOT Vista installer. Tongue

I'm not 100% sure if the suspend/hibernate is fixed; I don't use it. I CAN confirm my lockups and crashes are fixed though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 03:24:13 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 05:25:41 PM »

KD: I would take anything a phone monkey tells me with a truckload of salt, especially when they are telling you what they are officially supporting or writing drivers for.

See if you can get ahold of someone in their corporate offices.  That's usually the best bet when the customer service proves themselves worthless.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 05:29:08 PM by unbreakable » Logged
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 06:08:14 PM »

I have to say mine has been fairly smooth- albeit the new computer came with it already installed so that helped.

My only problems are a couple of games that I need to to run as XP SP2...and the fact that apparenly STALKER will need the Vista patch (possibly out next week) to run properly.

Other than that, my only issuse is an odd one...example:

I downloaded the 500 meg patch for FEAR.

After I click the file on my desktop, my computer stalls for  up to 5 minutes before I get to the installer starting screen.  Then it works.  Odd....wonder if that happened to anyone else.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 06:12:54 PM »

Quote from: walTer on March 20, 2007, 06:08:14 PM

After I click the file on my desktop, my computer stalls for  up to 5 minutes before I get to the installer starting screen.  Then it works.  Odd....wonder if that happened to anyone else.

Hmm - I would guess that it's related to the size of the patch decompressing before the installer can start.  Perhaps it's permissions related though - did you get the normal prompt that asks you to elevate your privileges?
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 06:25:53 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 20, 2007, 06:12:54 PM

Hmm - I would guess that it's related to the size of the patch decompressing before the installer can start.  Perhaps it's permissions related though - did you get the normal prompt that asks you to elevate your privileges?

I did yeah but only after waiting the aforementioned 5 minutes...this happens on smaller patches too.  Odd.  But I have not messed with many of the settings yet--
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 08:19:13 PM »

I have to say mine has been fairly smooth- albeit the new computer came with it already installed so that helped.

My only problems are a couple of games that I need to to run as XP SP2...and the fact that apparenly STALKER will need the Vista patch (possibly out next week) to run properly.

Other than that, my only issuse is an odd one...example:

Yea, Stalker is a slideshow on Vista, even with enough gear to run it.  I'll be waiting to even think about trying it again.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 08:24:05 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 20, 2007, 03:22:35 PM

Quote from: Destructor on March 20, 2007, 01:59:05 PM

Is it this one perhaps?

Nono... there is an A8N-SLI and the newer A8N32-SLI. Two different boards.

Ron, I have the same one. If I tell it to suspend, I gotta flick the POWER SUPPLY off.

I flashed with the latest firmware and reset bios; that seemed to fix the problem. Also, turn your ASUS CPU temp off. That fixed the crashing for me. Hell, with that temp gauge on, I couldn't even BOOT Vista installer. Tongue

I'm not 100% sure if the suspend/hibernate is fixed; I don't use it. I CAN confirm my lockups and crashes are fixed though.

Well, I've done some digging and apparently the driver that won't install is the one that does the temp monitoring anyway - probably why I've had such a smooth transition thus far.  I'm going to pick up the newest bios revision as well just for kicks and giggles, but my suspent/hibernate works just fine.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: