http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 09:56:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My PC wierdness...Please peek in...  (Read 724 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2006, 08:04:05 AM »

Well, I`m going to paste this in from my email to falcon northwest. So here it goes...

I recently had to reinstall everything from the rescue disk. Ever since then, I`ve noticed some wierd behavior with my PC. I`m running the same software as before ( as on the rescue disk ) other than audio and video driver upgrades ( and obviously my programs ).

One time Battlefield 2 just did nothing when I went to boot it up, then the cpu usage went to 100% and stayed there or close and I eventually had to just press the reset button. The same thing happened with World of Warcaft and Steam. Then just today Call of Duty 2 locked and when I brought up task manager it said the game stopped responding. Luckily this time the operating system seems normal at this point so I at least could shut down the PC correctly. In each situation the game worked fine after I reboot the pc , and when call of duty 2 did it, I only had to reboot the game and it worked fine.

I was instructed to reseat my video card and my hard drive cables. I have not done this yet because I was hoping this was a fluke  (or maybe a software issue) and I was hoping that stuff was not needed to be done. I`m definately going to do this if need be, but I was curious if anyone had any other thoughts about this issue. It seems odd that I really didn`t notice this before I did the reinstall and whatnot. It also seems odd that it`s only happened to games. Could this possibly be a issue with the new drivers off of nvidia`s site? Any other ideas on that?

On a side note...Do you know about any issues with direct access  (a nvidia driver setting) and crt monitors? I`ve come across ALOT if people seeming to have issues with those things that resulted in monitor damage. Any ideas of that?

Wow, so any ideas? I`m waiting to hear back from them today. So far they have been very helpful. Let`s hope either someone here or there has some idea. Thanks.

Oh and BTW I`m running a p4 3.0ghz, 256mb 6800 gt, audigy 2 and one gb of ddr. This is on XP Home SP2.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 01:50:37 PM »

My 'two cent' guess is that the rescue disc didn't contain everything you had on the PC to begin with. Motherboard driver, some specific setting on your sound card, etc.

As you mentioned an EA game or two and that you own a Creative Labs soundcard, I was gonna suggest your audio card might be the issue (as they've had a few 'issues' throughout the years), but then you mention WoW and Steam itself, so that throws that idea out the window.

When you used your rescue disc, it nuked the HD and dumped the contents of the disc back onto your PC, right? Or did it just reinstall ontop of everything?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 11:55:33 PM »

It nuked it and put it back on. I`m starting to think this is a software issue and so is falcon nw. This started happening right after I ran the rescue...
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 01:03:41 AM »

Sounds like something got overwritten that should'nt have and windows or something is not reading what it thinks it should be reading.

A total format reinstall should fix it up.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 06:36:08 AM »

That`s the route it looks like I`ll be taking. I HATE having to these things, but... Thanks again guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: