http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 09:51:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new hardware is rolling in...Win 7 OEm question  (Read 2072 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2010, 05:53:45 PM »

My new wireless Brother printer just arrived. Too bad my Linksys router is in the other shipment frown

Also arriving in the next day or so is a pair of Seiny headphones and a Performance MX mouse. Getting set. Next up is a nice LCD tv and theater sound system.

Good times.

Still sucks my printer arrived without the router and I have no usb cable to use till then.

I think since I'm not playing anything I'd worry about losing a save game for I may run by Walmart and buy Win 7. Or I guess i better check Newegg's OEM first for pricing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:35:56 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:03:08 PM »

Which brother printer?

I just got a MFC-495CA or somesuch model, and it's wireless but it has a hidden RJ45 jack under the scanner.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:35:35 PM »

Are you a student or have a student email of any kind?  You can still get the discounted Win7 price here http://www.win741.com/.  Includes Home or Pro, 32 or 64 bit.  Much cheaper than buying it retail.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 02:41:56 AM »

I got the HL-2170W. Using a USB wire right now. Thought I'd try to get Win7 before I connect my wireless stuff. Also picked up Riddick Athena and Left for  Dead 2.

Not s tudent but I saw somewhere you can ge ta Aussie student email and use it. Didn't want to be like that. The store one is down to $170 now. Thought maybe Staples would have it. Walmart doesn't cept online.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:11:26 AM by Daehawk » Logged

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 04:44:05 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 13, 2010, 02:41:56 AM

I got the HL-2170W. Using a USB wire right now. Thought I'd try to get Win7 before I connect my wireless stuff. Also picked up Riddick Athen and Left for  Dead 2.

Not s tudent but I saw somewhere you can ge ta Aussie student email and use it. Didn't want to be like that. The store one is down to $170 now. Thought maybe Staples would have it. Walmart doesn't cept online.

Well, the student one is full retail, $60 and you could download it immediately...just saying  ninja
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 08:12:09 AM »

or you could order the OEM version of Win7 Home Premium from Newegg for $105 if you don't like going the 'student' route.  there's absolutely no reason to pay full retail price for a copy of Windows though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 04:26:42 PM »

Well I had planned on the OEm as I was talking about it before in another thread but after more reading I find that everytime I change any hardware with that I'm going to have to call MS and get my OS reactivated. I don't want that hassle . I have a lot yet to do to my system and I'd be on the phone explaining a lot smile

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 09:46:26 PM »

I went through this myself about the OEM package... but a friend has convinced me that you have to change more than one or two things, to trigger the licensing. Also, if you don't register it when you install (an option for OEM), you get a nice 30 day window where it just nags you every once in a while. It's enough time to get your hardware squared away before you 'lock it in'.

Atomic
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 11:55:27 PM »

Yeah, it's something major to trigger the "new" activation.  Just adding a new hard drive or replacing a video card usually isn't enough to trigger it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:44:04 PM by ericb » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 09:07:52 PM »

Ordered my parts today. I went with the OEM. Hope it turns out well smile

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 09:14:24 PM »

My mouse arrived today. I like it all except the reason I needed a new mouse to start with..the middle mouse button / scroll wheel.

This one is metal and it is like a flat surface desugn. So the edges are pretty straight. The thing is the mouse is at an angle ..yet the scroll wheel is straigh up and down so its a tad off for me..a little uncomfortable too. And worst of all.....its just like the previous mouse in that the scroll wheel is harder than hell to press to click and use. I either dont get it pressed or I accidentally scroll my weapons in games.

Maybe it will loosen up after some use. Are all Logitech mice like this with a crappy middle mouse button / wheel?  I mean it scrolls smooth and feels good rolling it...but pushing it is hell between the sharp edge and the pressure it takes to do it..not to mention the off angle of it.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 09:44:38 PM »

Who the hell clicks the mouse wheel?  I had to do it with my work mouse right now just to remember what that did.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 10:24:34 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on March 13, 2010, 09:46:26 PM

Also, if you don't register it when you install (an option for OEM), you get a nice 30 day window where it just nags you every once in a while.

This isn't specific to OEM media - the out-of-box activation grace period for every edition of Windows 7 (retail, volume license or OEM) is 30 days.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 03:40:06 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 15, 2010, 09:44:38 PM

Who the hell clicks the mouse wheel?  I had to do it with my work mouse right now just to remember what that did.

Middle-click opens links in new tabs.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 03:44:17 AM »

Not with my mouse at home, it doesn't  Of course, my wheel tilts so that I can H-scroll.  Checking my mouse settings, it's default set to go to the next window.  But I could change that to any number of things from the DDLB or even create my own.  Microsoft Intellipoint FTW!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 03:45:51 AM »

I use it in games. Its my USE key in them.

deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »

So jealous!  

I love every aspect of the tech buying process.  smile  The research, the pros and cons, the final decisions, the ordering and the anticipation that comes with it, receiving it and just examining your new goodies before you drop off the deep end and commence with the installation and usage of the new stuff!  I LOVE ALL OF IT.  smile  

Ever since the little lady came into the picture I have pretty much sworn off buying new gadgets unless absolutely necessary.  The good thing is that this enables us to apply that which we save to our daughters future so she has the resource to be everything that she chooses to be.  

Anyway, I am jealously living vicariously through you you lucky bastage!  smile  
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 07:59:21 PM »

I still love it but I don't think as much as I once did years ago. Its fun but then assembling it all takes more out of me than it used to. Actually I think all my items arrived today. I had 3 boxes on the front porch when I got home. I still have a shower to take and I'm tired so I won't get to it till tomorrow Im pretty sure. If then. I have to go to Chattanooga tomorrow. We'll see.

What arrived today..which is the end of the items..I think...................

2 pair of Sennheiser DJ Style Headphones with Enhanced Bass Drivers (HD 202)...got me a pair and the wife a pair. I bought her a surprise Apple Touch Ipod today so she needed good headphones.

LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Retail

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

GEIL GMCEC01 Fan & Heatsinks - Retail

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Thermaltake CLP0554 SPINQ VT  80mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail

Seems my cable ties are still MIA and wont arrive for a few days...guess I'll have to wait till then to build it. And of course my printer already made it here...been using it.

brother HL Series HL-2170W Workgroup Up to 23 ppm Monochrome Wireless Laser Printer - Retail

deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 08:03:37 PM »

I have that router.  It's a great router - especially if you load DD-WRT or Tomato on it. 
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 10:45:55 PM »

I just loaded up whatever was in the box. Took me about 5 minutes. The PSP and Ipod work..all that matters smile But I did have that in my mind when I ordered. Just in case.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 09:36:34 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on March 16, 2010, 08:03:37 PM

I have that router.  It's a great router - especially if you load DD-WRT or Tomato on it. 

I think I spoke too soon on my post above. My net stopped working last night and I just got time to fix it today. I had to shut down and restart it all. That worked today..did not work last night.

So say i wanted to put new software in this router...which is better? I was thinking tomato but I hear good stuff on DDWRT. And which is easy to use?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 01:06:11 AM »

I'm going to create a thread on the router firmware question so it will get more looks.   Tongue

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 03:34:24 AM »

Crappo. I was at Barnes & Noble today and found me a mag with a big Win 7 tips area. then i walked out and forgot to get it frown Guess Ill have to streamline and speed it up on my own.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 18, 2010, 03:34:24 AM

Crappo. I was at Barnes & Noble today and found me a mag with a big Win 7 tips area. then i walked out and forgot to get it frown Guess Ill have to streamline and speed it up on my own.

I'm going to take a wild guess that there is Windows 7 tweak guide available for free on the old world wide web.

morlac00 on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »

Win7 doesn't need a hint guide.

Oh, and DD-WRT is fantastic, but the newer revisions of the WRT54G have overheating issues. You may want to head over to www.dd-wrt.com when you have your firmware version handy.

My dad has a .8 gen, and the wireless kicks out all the time.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 02:58:18 AM »

Well it took me 5 hours of work and made me puke but I got it all together today. The only thing I lack doing is installing Win 7. Kinda hate to lose all the new work I put into reinstalling Fallout 3 and the 30+ mods frown But I have Metro 2033 and C&C 4 waiting to be installed when Im done. Guess Ill do it tomorrow.. Man this case looks beautiful!

I kept most of my stuff. I basically just installed a cpu cooler, memory cooler, and a new case. But damn it was a ton of work. Now though it rocks. The case came with 3 or 4 fans with red LEDs..subtle ones not bright bright....with room for 2 more or so. Its black on black itself with a window. The giant cpu cooler is also red glow and the memory cooler is red and blue LEDs and it has circling words and numbers that tell me fan speed and temp. All fan have filters too. Sweet. I can also turn all leds off with a button press.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 03:37:10 AM »

I dont need this OPK thing to install Win 7 OEM right? All I want to do is format my C: drive and install the new OEM Win 7 64 bit to replace my Win XP. SO all I should have to do is insert the cd and go from there right?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 02:36:30 PM »

Ok Im now about to start the Win 7 install. I've pre downloaded all my anti spam apps and virus stuff. Also grabbed the latest firefox and nVidia drivers. Yes I grabbed the win 7 versions smile..honest injun I almost forgot though lol. I think all to do is to disconnect my router and plug my modem back into my motherboard. Not sure  if i need a special lan driver or not. Guess I better look on Gigabytes site huh? And then set my dvd to boot first and im away.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 05:04:14 PM »

Well it seems installed. Having trouble finding things I used to do without thinking. Also I forgot to get any sound drivers. I dont know what it is using right now. And finding a good creative driver for this audigy 2 zs should prove interesting smile

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 05:08:09 PM »

http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/updated-audigy-and-x-fi-drivers-for-wind-7

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 05:11:23 PM »

Thank you! I was stumped because the only sound device win 7 even sees is my headphones. My speaker system isn't even listed. Maybe it will soon.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 05:36:27 PM »

What mainboard do you have?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »

Working now.

A Gigabyte UD3R

EDIT: Wait wheres my outlook express mail program?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:32:38 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 07:36:02 PM »

Look for "Windows Mail" or something like that.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 07:38:15 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 19, 2010, 07:07:16 PM

Working now.

A Gigabyte UD3R

EDIT: Wait wheres my outlook express mail program?

Yank the Audigy and use the Realtek ALC888 (or ALC889A) onboard audio.

It's fantastic, and takes up less system resources.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 19, 2010, 07:36:02 PM

Look for "Windows Mail" or something like that.

It's now a download thanks to the persistent efforts of various governments:  http://download.live.com/wlmail?wa=wsignin1.0
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 07:41:44 PM »

I tried it when I first got the mobo but it sounded a little muddy to me. I wonder if that was older drivers?

Oh hey...is there something free out there like Stardock's Deskscapes for win 7 that gives me animated wallpaper?

EDIT: And thank you both for the mail infos.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 07:54:03 PM »

There is a built-in slideshow that can update up to every 5 seconds (IIRC)

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 08:02:40 PM »

Ya its doing that now. Was hoping to have a cool space animation or something up.

Ack my back speakers aren't working...sigh.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2010, 08:04:27 PM »

You can still use active desktop though, can't you? I haven't tried.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: