http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:48:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My kid has rendered my mouse inoperable somehow... solutions?  (Read 764 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2010, 02:43:18 PM »

God I'm sick of the tab key. 

I left the 3 year old alone for literally 3 minutes while I started a pot of coffee... he was looking at pictures of bikes on the internet.

I came back, and he had obviously pushed a bunch of buttons on the keyboard that had opened a bunch of windows, and not really thinking about it, I just alt F4'd them all and closed them... then I realized the mouse cursor is nowhere to be seen and not responding.

Restart.  Cursor is in the middle of the screen, won't move.  Take out batteries, replace, same thing.

I find my way into the mouse settings where it says the signal quality is high and the battery is good on the mouse.

What the hell could he possibly have done that would kill the mouse so thoroughly?

It's an MS Intellimouse explorer 2.0, wireless.  I've tried reconnecting it to the base station, and unplugging the base station from the PC as well.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »

Does the mouse cursor respond to the arrow keys on the keyboard?  Your kiddo may have triggered some of the Windows Accessibility features.  Look in Control Panel under Accessibility Options (or whatever it's called in your OS version).

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »

It's probably time to get a new one.

Though adoption can be such a hassle...
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 07:09:52 PM »

No response to anything... tried doing alt shift numlock, but nothing...
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »

Plugged in a wired mouse and it works... I also tried taking the batteries out of the wireless mouse and putting them back in, and it wouldn't light up... then I did it again and suddenly it lit up, but it won't move, and the laser is just fully 'on'...

I guess maybe it's coincidental and he happened to be using it when it died?

Guess I'm buying a mouse. :/
Bcarle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 05:08:23 PM »

Might not make a difference but I had a problem with my wireless mouse a while ago and had to resync ? it (pushing that little button)

bob
Slabety
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 08:39:42 PM »

Have you tried putting the mouse on another computer to see if same behavior occurs?
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 05:38:44 PM »

Yeah, I put the mouse on another computer, same problem... bought a new mouse, threw the same batteries into it, and it didn't work... which made me feel dumb since I just accepted the statement from the computer about the battery level being fine...  new batteries in the old mouse, and it works fine... so now I have a new mouse, and my wife has a wireless mouse.  *sigh*
Slabety
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 05:47:47 PM »

That stinks. At least you got it worked out, and I'm sure your wife doesn't mind the upgrade.... icon_smile

-Slabety
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: