http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:03:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should my GTX 780 be running at 80 degC?  (Read 734 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2014, 07:22:41 AM »

So with my new rig the builder has included this neat hardware monitoring program that's open source, which remarkably enough is called Open Hardware Monitor. It has all sorts of cool data, including capturing the max values read since the last time the application was reset. He's my GPU data (max readings on the right, current readings to the left):

Now what seems to be a bit, er, interesting is that my GPU temp got up to 80 degrees Celsius, which seems pretty high to me. According to Nvidia's spec sheet for the GTX 780, Maximum GPU Temperature is 95C, but I don't know what they use for a margin of safety. Also interesting is that the associated fan on the card didn't exceed 48% of it's speed, if I'm reading that right.

So, do other folks have any feelings on this? How close does your GPU operate with respect to it's max temp limit?

UPDATE: I found this fancy article about the GTX 780 over on geforce.com which includes a discussion about how the fan speed is adjusted in small steps to allow the GPU to run at a consistently high level (80C, as it turns out) for max performance. Interesting. So I guess what I'm seeing regarding temperatures is what I should expect.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:36:42 AM by jztemple2 » Logged

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 02:24:44 PM »

I'd be curious... it got that hot doing what? Playing a particular game? Any game? Posting on GT?  icon_wink

I've been using MSI's Afterburner to monitor / control my Nvidia cards for quite some time, including my current GTX780. I set up a custom fan profile to control fan speed v. temperature. Guess I need to read your linked article to see if somehow what I'm doing is... counter-productive. icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 05, 2014, 02:24:44 PM

I'd be curious... it got that hot doing what? Playing a particular game? Any game? Posting on GT?  icon_wink

I've been using MSI's Afterburner to monitor / control my Nvidia cards for quite some time, including my current GTX780. I set up a custom fan profile to control fan speed v. temperature. Guess I need to read your linked article to see if somehow what I'm doing is... counter-productive. icon_neutral

I was playing Shift 2 Unleashed for awhile with all graphics settings tweaked to the max.

The article at Geforce.com is interesting regarding GPU temp. Basically it says that the card gradually adjusts the fan speed to maintain the temp at 80C for max performance. It wants the card to run hot, just not too hot. It's a fascinating article, well worth the time to read even if you don't have or aren't planning on getting a GTX 780. I learned a lot from it.

I hadn't looked at Afterburner yet because the article pointed me to EVGAŽ Precision X, which is also available here (the first site requires you to establish an account). I haven't done anything with EVGAŽ Precision X yet, I'm still gathering data. And since I've got a three year warranty, if <sigh> if the worst comes to the worst and the card goes belly up, I'll get it replaced, so I'm not really motivated to play around with the card settings unless I really know what I'm doing, which might be, err, never nod

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:30:06 PM »

I'm no expert on that card (or any card, really) but I don't think that 80*C is in the danger zone for cards anymore.  It seems that Nvidia cards run a little cooler than AMD cards lately, but it's not a huge difference.  I think you're ok.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:59:50 AM »

http://gamingtrend.com/forums/hardware-software-hell/geforce-gtx-titan-announced/msg928777/#msg928777

Atomic
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 06:23:24 AM »

I've been using my new rig for a couple of months now and the highest GPU temp I've seen is 80C, which per the article is what I'm expecting. My GPU fan hasn't ever run over 50% speed. I'm expecting that as the rig gets older and the cooling is somewhat less effective, that fan speed will probably increase a bit.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: