http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 01:19:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Monitor Issues  (Read 1278 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »

I have a 24" Widepanel and a 19" Widepanel, but I'm having some trouble getting exactly what I want out of them.  I want them to act as two monitors that I can move between (write on one side, results on the other, etc.) but I really don't want my monitors 'stretched'.  As it stands, it thinks it's one large monitor that is 3600x1200 or something odd.  The real problem is games - the 'middle' of this stretched desktop is directly in between both screens, with their bezel edges in the middle.   Obviously less than optimal.  Anyone out there have a similar setup that can help?

FYI -
8800 GTX, both using digital out (one HDMI, the other DVI)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 12:43:07 AM »

I use multiple monitors at work and have ot go into the ATI catalyst center to get them set right each day.  Have you tried going into Nvidias tool to make sure the monitors are set how you want them.  I normally go into the tool right click on the laptop monitor screen and flip it so the LCD is primary; then I move the laptop so its on the left of the LCD in the tool.  I am set from there.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 03:54:59 AM »

Obviously, the universe is telling you you need a third display biggrin

Atomic
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 04:01:01 PM »

If you go into the NVIDIA Control Panel to the 'Set up multiple displays' option in the 'Display' section, what are your settings there? Does it properly identify both monitors? There's also a wizard to help you with the initial setup but I didn't find it all that useful when I ran through it for the first time.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 04:14:32 PM »

I'm almost certain that a game needs to be multi-monitor aware to avoid this - i.e. FS2004 or FSX will center the main view onto a display of your choice and allow you to use the 2nd, 3rd as either external views or instrument displays. Most gamer aren't multi-monitor aware so you'll get an image centered across both displays.  Your best bet is to just use the Nvidia control center that drifter mentioned to create a profile that only enables the primary display. Then set that profile before you start your game. I can't remember the name, but there is a 3rd party tool that allows you to autoset different profiles and launch a specific game.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 05:27:54 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 11, 2009, 04:01:01 PM

If you go into the NVIDIA Control Panel to the 'Set up multiple displays' option in the 'Display' section, what are your settings there? Does it properly identify both monitors? There's also a wizard to help you with the initial setup but I didn't find it all that useful when I ran through it for the first time.

It identifies both monitors but gives me these options:

Single Monitor
Clone to both monitors
Stretch Horizontally
Stretch Vertically

Obviously none of those are really 'correct' for what I want to do.  I want to play on one monitor, leaving my mail open on the other. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 06:17:42 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 11, 2009, 05:27:54 PM

It identifies both monitors but gives me these options:

Single Monitor
Clone to both monitors
Stretch Horizontally
Stretch Vertically

Obviously none of those are really 'correct' for what I want to do.  I want to play on one monitor, leaving my mail open on the other.

OK, now I'm following you. What I was suggesting was to create a Nvidia profile that only used the 1st option, 'Single Monitor', but that obviously won't solve your problem. For a while I had a similar setup to yours except I had my Sony HDTV as my 2nd display. If I ran a game in windowed mode at a resolution less than my virtual desktop I was able to position it on the desktop. IIRC there were still games that insisted on occupying the center desktop position though. If your goal is to run the game at full resolution I know of no way to achieve that without specialized graphics hardware; i.e. some of the Matrox series of cards.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 06:52:12 PM »

Interesting... I have two LCD screens hooked to my laptop here at work, one analog and one digital to the docking station and I have the following options available to me:

Use one display (Single)
The same on both displays (Clone)
Configured independently from each other (Dualview)

I'm using the last one without issue but they both are the same size. What driver version are you running?

-craig

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 07:11:07 PM »

I just used the windows standard dual monitor wizard and let it autoconfigure and it did it properly.  Anytime I tried setting stuff manually it kept putting it stretched across both monitors.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 07:18:51 PM »

The problem with double monitors from what I've read is that even if you get it properly configured so your games are only on one screen, the moment you try to tab over to something like say an AIM window to type in it, your game will no longer have focus and odds are it'll minimize away.

This is why I have a laptop next to me for all my AIM needs while I'm gaming.

Sorry I'm not more help - my only experience with two monitors in one system is when I've plugged my laptop into my TV - and that worked great (as Vista thought I had two monitors and I could drag things from one side to the other easily).

One last thing (and to help everybody here trying to help) - don't you have Windows XP installed on that rig?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 07:24:39 PM »

It is the latest Nvidia drivers, and yes, on XP.   

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 07:30:23 PM »

XP here as well on my work laptop with SP3. System information shows a Quadro FX 2700M video 'card' and the 176.26 ForceWare drivers installed. For whatever that is worth.

-craig

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 10:17:58 PM »

Here is what I see:

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »

if the monitors are side-by-side, you want horizontal stretch.

The maximize will maximize it to the screen it's on. Games should run on the monitor with the start button, so set your mail to fullscreen on the other.

It's the best that XP can do.  I have a 21" LCD and a 19" CRT at work and it's how I use them.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 07:32:22 PM »

You should be able to right click on the desktop go into properties, then settings and use the "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor"....you don't need to use the NVIDIA.

This then be dual view not stretched
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 05:09:58 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on August 14, 2009, 07:32:22 PM

You should be able to right click on the desktop go into properties, then settings and use the "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor"....you don't need to use the NVIDIA.

Yes, this is what I meant. frown I thought the horiz stretch from nvidia works the same though, does it not?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 03:25:22 AM »

Horiz stretch would try to treat the two monitors as just one big screen.  Dual view is two separate views. though you can stretch a program window across both monitors if you want
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 03:49:08 AM »

Ah ... yeah, I do that with some putty sessions in dual view. (Mind you, I use a session mgr which is a-frickin-mazing)

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on August 17, 2009, 03:25:22 AM

Horiz stretch would try to treat the two monitors as just one big screen.  Dual view is two separate views. though you can stretch a program window across both monitors if you want

Yep, dual view is what I want.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be an option.  frown

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 05:18:08 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 20, 2009, 04:09:59 PM

Yep, dual view is what I want.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be an option.  frown

i've only ever used ATi (home) and Intel (work) chipsets for dual-view. my home set-up is a 17" Samsung SyncMaster 170MP (almost 8 years old - 1280x1024 resolution) with a secondary 15" Panasonic PanaFlat LC50 (almost 9 yo... 1024x768 res). My Windows XP desktop expands across both monitors with no problem, and games display on the 17" screen with whatever-was-displaying on the 15" while the game is playing - but if you click on anything on the 15" screen while something fullscreen is running, it will minimize the running fullscreen app/game. Unbuntu Linux with Gnome (Jaunty Jackalope) handles this setup with a bit more intelligence.
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 05:33:08 AM »

I have a 9800gtx and have two monitors and it works great. Each monitor at its own resolution. But im using vista
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 12:44:57 PM »

My wife split for a weekend so I decide to hook my PC up to the 50" plasma in the living room and use my 22" LCD.  I found that with games if I maximized it the game would automatically take over the 22" LCD.  The only way I could put a game up on the LCD with it almost full view was to run the game in a window and drag the window size to be the same as the plasma TV.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 05:56:27 PM »

You need to move the primary display over.

Sometimes just moving the startbutton/taskbar does it.

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 11:25:33 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on August 14, 2009, 07:32:22 PM

This is the answer.

Or you can use UltraMon, which gives you some more options (like extending your start bar across both screens).

LiveTAG: happydog
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 11:00:20 PM »

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=22058

Triple display support... mmm....

Atomic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: