http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:50:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MS Security Essentials- any downsides found?  (Read 1397 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »

We're thinking of ditching Norton and going with them. I haven't heard of any bad experiences with them, anyone here have any experiences otherwise?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 08:01:10 PM »

I had a couple of Trojans slip in with MSE.  I went back to Avira.
Bcarle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:14:29 PM »

I like it and have had no problems so far.

bob
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 01:30:12 AM »

Quote from: Bcarle on October 26, 2010, 08:14:29 PM

I like it and have had no problems so far.

bob

We had been using Panda at work and switched to this with zero issues.

morlac00 on PSN
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 05:45:32 AM »

I've had MSE on three or four computers now and only had an issue on one, the wife's Vista desktop. I installed it one night and then got asked the very next day "what I had done" to her pc. Seemed to be something about the real time scans it was doing really impacted performance and rather than disable that I just uninstalled it and got her back on Avast. Other than that one odd hiccup, it's been fine.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »

thanks guys.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »

I use AVG and MSE in tandem and have had ZERO issues under Win7 Ult.
Everyone's setup differs though - try it out and see what you think.

All my scans / updates are done post midnight so they do not impact me at all.

Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 08:34:38 AM »

Thanks everyone. Between this thread and the AVG thread, I have decided to uninstall AVG for the first time in years, and give MSE a try. I was going to just run them in tandem, but I figured, why complicate things if I don't need to? Also, the MS site recommends getting rid of previous antivirus software, but doesn't say why you should do so. I imagine because it would just be scanning your machine twice as much, and maybe bogging it down if you ran both?
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 08:47:38 AM »

Well, the MSE install went very fast, the update was very fast, the quick scan was very fast, the subsequent "upgrade" was very fast.

But, it never asked me to reboot the computer to finish, even after all that...? That seems very odd to me...
Bcarle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 02:36:58 PM »

I don't think my computer has rebooted on virus updates or when there was a new version, so I think your ok.

bob
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 04:42:46 PM »

yeah I'm probably okay, but with AVG I had to reboot every now and then after an update. I figured it must be doing something important.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 04:50:30 PM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on October 29, 2010, 04:42:46 PM

yeah I'm probably okay, but with AVG I had to reboot every now and then after an update. I figured it must be doing something important.

Not really. AVG just sucks.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 04:51:56 PM »

Several months ago I had quite a few trojans get through MSE. They usually shut down MSE and made it useless once they got through, until I found a file (rkill) to kill their processes. But I haven't had that problem much lately. Mostly now when stuff gets through it's through javascript it seems. Or P2P. I still find it helpful to run the occasional other anti-virus program along with MSE.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 07:18:10 PM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on October 29, 2010, 08:47:38 AM

Well, the MSE install went very fast, the update was very fast, the quick scan was very fast, the subsequent "upgrade" was very fast.

But, it never asked me to reboot the computer to finish, even after all that...? That seems very odd to me...

Was the uninstall of AVG painless? I'm considering making the switch from AVG to MSE, but I don't really want to deal with cleaning up the remnants of AVG.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »

If you want to read a comparison of on-demand protection from all the AV suites AV Comparatives has the goods.

Results start on page 4. Again I say it... AVG sucks.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 11:32:07 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on October 29, 2010, 07:18:10 PM

Quote from: Giles Habibula on October 29, 2010, 08:47:38 AM

Was the uninstall of AVG painless? I'm considering making the switch from AVG to MSE, but I don't really want to deal with cleaning up the remnants of AVG.

I had no problems uninstalling AVG from this machine earlier this year. Swapped it over to Avira for a test run. Haven't managed to change it up again yet.

Atomic
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 11:42:07 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on October 29, 2010, 07:18:10 PM

Very painless. I used the Windows "Uninstall a program" thing. Took about a minute for the bar to start moving, but was pretty quick after that. Deleted my desktop icon and tray icon too. I haven't gone digging much further than that. It did give a couple of uninstall options as well. Checkboxes for whether you want to keep your settings and quarantined items. I chose to get rid of it all.

After installing MSE, I did notice that it took my PC a good 5 minutes to shut down, which concerned me. But it booted up again like normal, and every time I've shut it down since then, it now shuts down quickly and normally. So no real problems to speak of yet. If anything crops up, I'll post here, but my PC is currently running just like it always did before.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:38:05 PM by Giles Habibula » Logged
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 11:44:10 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on October 29, 2010, 07:50:15 PM

If you want to read a comparison of on-demand protection from all the AV suites AV Comparatives has the goods.
Thanks for that link.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 11:50:10 PM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on October 29, 2010, 08:34:38 AM

Thanks everyone. Between this thread and the AVG thread, I have decided to uninstall AVG for the first time in years, and give MSE a try. I was going to just run them in tandem, but I figured, why complicate things if I don't need to? Also, the MS site recommends getting rid of previous antivirus software, but doesn't say why you should do so. I imagine because it would just be scanning your machine twice as much, and maybe bogging it down if you ran both?

Yes, trying to run two active anti-virus in tandem will result in a LOT of scanning, depending on the settings. And that's assuming they don't try and argue with one another over which one gets to boot first, which one has rights, etc. If you want two antivirus products, use one active of your choice, and make the second one strictly a scan-on-demand, like DrWeb Cureit... http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en

Atomic
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 11:01:03 PM »

I've used this for months now and have had zero issues, fwiw.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 01:45:49 AM »

So far, I've seen that MSE works much, much better than AVG. I've already dropped it on my wife's 7 machine and am very, very close on my own machine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: