http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 05:42:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mouse is dying - recommendations for a new one?  (Read 1944 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2006, 02:43:21 PM »

My trusty Logitech optical mouse is finally on its last leg.  It double clicks about 50% of the time when I click it once.  So what's a good mouse to replace it with?  I know there are cordess mice but I'm fine with plugging it into my USB port.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 03:21:07 PM »

Logitech g5 gaming mouse.  I think that's the cordless one.

If you're willing to splurge, there's the G7 mouse, which is getting all sorts of good reviews.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 03:25:25 PM »

Im still using my MX700 and have a MX1000 in box as a backup.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 03:47:27 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Logitech g5 gaming mouse.  I think that's the cordless one.

If you're willing to splurge, there's the G7 mouse, which is getting all sorts of good reviews.

The G5 is corded. It's essentially the same as the G7 only with a cord, and the customizable weight. The weights are a gimmick, but I've grown to like having a heavier mouse. The G7 is the wireless version.

The MX518 is still a good gaming mouse, and it's price is a little easier to swallow too.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 04:24:13 PM »

The MX518 looked pretty good so I went ahead and ordered it from Newegg.  $41.88 shipped.

Thanks guys!
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 02:54:49 AM »

Once you go trackball, you never go back.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 06:55:06 AM »

I have a $50 card to spend at BestBuy.  I'm looking to finally move up from the standard 3 button mouse I've been using for the last 4 years.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that MX518, since that is what I'm looking at possibly picking up.

Cordless is not a priority, but optical and extra buttons would be nice.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 07:07:24 AM »

Trackball?  Well it was nice when I played Centipede.

As far as the MX518 I'll be happy to post a mini-review once I get it running and play around with it for awhile.  Should be here early next week.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 10:40:30 PM »

I -hate- using mice, and most of my friends have discovered the superiority of the trackball as well.  I wish Logitech would get off their butts and come out with a newer version.  The current best is the Trackman Wheel (corded or cordless).  All the other designs bring back the carpal-tunnel inducing reasons we ditch the mouse for in the first place.

I move around the screen just by moving my thumb.  Thats it.

I will admit that a mouse can be a bit more precise in specific, but in practice I spend more time fighting the mouse to make it worthwhile.  I hate when the mouse is on the edge of your desk, but the pointer is in the middle of the screen, which means you have to physically reposition the mouse.  It's annoying as hell after years of trackball use- my trackball never moves from where it sits next to my keyboard.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 01:49:52 AM »

I was a trackball convert, but I hated the lift-and reset that your thumb needs to do in a fire-fight.

I have a G7; the only thing I'm not happy with is the one button on the left side (there should be a second one). The battery switch and dpi change on the fly is sweet and it's VERY comfortable.

I'd recommend the MS laser 6000 if you don't mind having a mouse-wheel that doesn't click (for gaming it's pretty stupid NOT to have it... less control in using it). The 6000 has the tilt on it (kinda touchy though) but it DOES have 2 thumb buttons.

Oh, if you want a really good price on the G5 / G7, head over to www.ncix.com or www.tigerdirect.com.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 06:11:31 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
I was a trackball convert, but I hated the lift-and reset that your thumb needs to do in a fire-fight.

I'm used to having the sensitivity jacked up.  Usually I can either go in a half circle or a full circle going completely from side to side (depends on how well the game controls like that).

Sadly, the only decent thumb trackball I've see that I liked is the logitech.  All the other ones seem to think it's smart to have your thumb handle ALL the buttons, while your entire hand has to be engaged with the incredibly difficult task of moving the trackball  :roll:   But that's why they make the big bucks, I guess.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 06:02:59 AM »

The MX518 looked pretty good so I went ahead and ordered it from Newegg. $41.88 shipped.

Holy.. I never heard of someone paying that kind of money for a mouse! I'm still using a cheap wired $8 optical mouse that I bought about 2 years ago.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 06:17:33 AM »

heh my MX700 was bought pretty soon after they came out and cost $80

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 10:57:31 AM »

I have had the MX-518 and I love it, and so will you when you see the difference.

Since then newer models are out there, but for the $$$ you just can't beat the MX-518

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 01:19:24 AM »

I picked up a MX-518 today since the mousewheel on my Intellimouse Explorer was going.  Basically every now and then it would click up or down without my moving the wheel.  It really sucked when it happened in BF2-  one second I'd be blazing away with the G36 and then whammo!  pistol mode, or in the case of Oblivion first person combat than the camera would shoot back into 3rd person.

Anyways, Best Buy had them on sale for $39.99.  I was originally looking at a wireless, but the only one that seemed anywhere decent was the mx1000 and even then it felt awkward.  I looked over the wired mouses and was about to give up when I saw the MX-518 set off to the side (for some reason they it and the Copperhead set on a smaller display about 7 feet away from the other mice).  It's about the closest thing I could find to my old mouse, and so far it's working like a charm.  I love the ability to switch the DPI on the fly, but I uninstalled the Logitech software as it didn't look important and added 2 processes to the background.  At the most it looks like I lost the ability to set 2 more DPI settings and the awkward middle mouse button functionality.

At first I felt the 1600 dpi was way to hard to control, but after an hour of playing around I can't figure out how I ever did without the precision it gives.  All in all I'd highly recommend it if you are looking for a good replacement for the good ol' MS Intellimouse Explorer and don't want to spend big bucks on the MX600 or higher mouses.  I can live with a wire for my mouse; it's not like I'm going to be playing PC games from across the room anytime soon.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 02:26:12 AM »

For all you Logitech owners, I heartily reccomend LogiGamer.  Makes setting all those buttons a snap.  The ability to create different profiles and switch between them with the click of a button is great.  Combine that with the LITE version running in the tray and your life will be much easier.

Maybe the latest Logitech software does something similar, but I haven't upgraded in ages.

Just thought I'd toss that out there.  It has made playing different genres (FPS, RPG, RTS) a real breeze when it comes to utilizing all those buttons.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 02:34:13 AM »

I really like it too.  It seems to be a good fit for my giant ham hand.  I've had no problems programming it and I love the extra buttons!

So far I've just kept it at the default setting and haven't messed with the increasable DPI.  So far it does everything right and I'm so much happier than with my old mouse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: