http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 11:48:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most effective PC cooling solution...  (Read 5439 times)
Zaxxon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2004, 04:16:05 AM »

...that you personally have installed or owned?

I just picked up one of these, and I'm expecting a good 15-20C drop in idle and load temperatures over my stock heatsink.  Might get some good OCing in.  

We've all heard or read stories about some obscenely overdone cooling system--like the PC-in-a-freezer.  What's the best system you've seen?
Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 05:00:23 AM »

The best air cooling I've seen is Thermalright's new 120mm fan heat piped monstrosity, the XP120.  

http://www.svc.com/xp-120-p4-21.html

I've got an SP94 for my p4 and it does a great job.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 05:05:57 AM »

Greetings Mr. Guest.  Sorry bout the mixup, please register to post in the future.  All makey fixey, no more unreg posting. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EvilHomer3k
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 05:16:36 AM »

That was me.  I thought I was logged in.  Sorry about that. I'm not used to logging into a hardware forum (haven't done it in years).

PSN ID: evilhomer3k
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 05:23:15 AM »

How do the heat pipes work exactly? There was a post on GG that showed a heat pipe on there vid card, and it basically surrounded the entire vid card. I'm assuming it has something to do with the chemical in the heat pipe, and that its basically a self contained mini water cooling type solution.

Also Zaxxon I have that fan and that thing is a beast. You turn it to full and it sounds like a dust buster. You have it on about half way and you down here at all. So when I'm alone or start gaming I turn it on full. If i go to lan parties or something I turn it down.

I believe it goes the slowest speed if you don't have any of the knobs hooked up.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
triggercut
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 05:38:07 AM »

I have nothing to add here, much, except:

When I first installed my Athlon 3000+, I had immediate heat problems using the "stock" heatsink/fan.  I got with Newegg, and got myself a deee-luxe heatsink, some arctic silver, and attached a fan.  Life was good.

Two months ago I had a processor failure.  Luckily, I'm under warranty.  Unluckily, the place I bought it from doesn't carry the 3000+ any more (just the 2800+, which is the overclocker's athlon of choice, I gather) and the 3200.  Luckily, they gave me the 3200 as a replacement.  

Now, I'm all set to use my old heatsink/arctic silver/fan setup, but there's something compelling about the instructions that come with the 3200 processor.  AMD is damn vehement that they want you to use the stock sink/fan setup.  I give it a look, for giggles...

....and HEY there.  Rather than a solid aluminum construction, the AMD stock sink now has a copper pipe in the middle of it.  Nice!  The fan runs faster, too, and with no rise in noise.  Thinking I know better, I install it with the stock fan/sink....

...and my temps now are actually *lower* (31-33 degrees C) than they were with the super-duper sink, arctic silver, and fan setup.  Just a heads-up then:  the new AMD stock heatsinks and fans (you'll know it's a new one if the sink has a copper-colored core at the base; if it's solid aluminum gray/silver, it's worthless) are very good for what they are.   With a 3200, there's no need to overclock, so I'm happy as a clam with my current setup, until I go 64.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 05:56:52 AM »

Heat pipes only transfer the heat. They do almost no cooling themselves. This means that you still need a large surface area heat sink and some air flow to cool the other end of the heat pipe (the end not by the heat).

LiveTAG: happydog
EvilHomer3k
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 06:10:13 AM »

The heatpipes work basically like water in the atmosphere.  The water (not really water in the heatpipe) heats up from the tempurature at the bottom of the heatsink.  When the water heats up it turns to gas.  That gas travels up into the air at the top of the heatsink where the tempurature is cooler.  At the top of the heat sink, the heated gas turns back to water and travels back down the heatpipes to the bottom of the heatsink where the process starts anew.  

The heat from the cpu is carried to the top of the heatsink by the heated gases.

Heatpipe heat sinks work best when they are installed horizontally.  If you are installing one in a tower configuration, read the manual.  The manufacturer will have instruction on the best way to install the heatpipe.

Triggercut, the new AMD sinks are good but they just don't compare to the high end offerings from thermalright.  If someone isn't overclocking or going for the quietest pc around, the stock heatsink will be perfectly fine (just as you said).

Thermaltake makes good heat sinks for the price.  But, again, they aren't going to do the job of one of thermalrights better offerings (or swifttech) but they have improved vastly in recent years.  Of course, they are going to cost about half the price, too. It should also be noted that there are a lot of heat sinks out there that are just plain junk.  The stock intel and amd sinks are generally mid-range heat sinks.  That means that there are a good number of heat sinks that don't cool as well as the stock cooler or are only marginally better.  

http://www.overclockers.com/ is the best resource I've found for heatsink reviews.

PSN ID: evilhomer3k
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 06:55:25 AM »

I've always wanted to just get one of those box fans and attach it to the side on my case.  Turn it on high and instant cooling!

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
gorky1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 09:05:33 AM »

I own an Alpha PAL8045 and am very satisfied. It takes some time to install because of the screw mounting, but it feels saver than clip-to-socket mounted heatsinks. And I can't hear it.   smile
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 12:50:45 PM »

Quote from: "gorky1"
I own an Alpha PAL8045 and am very satisfied. It takes some time to install because of the screw mounting, but it feels saver than clip-to-socket mounted heatsinks. And I can't hear it.   smile

This is what I use.  I have a 2500+ clocked to a 3200, max temps are 109 F.
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 02:40:16 PM »

I use a watercool system.  Yes it will cost you more (about $150-$200) but I made most of that up by purchasing a less expensive motherboard and CPU and then doing some extreme overclocking.
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 03:10:59 PM »

The best solution I did was turn up the air conditioning and put blinds on the window. Ambient temperature, you know.

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 03:38:06 PM »

Honestly I've never done more than a little Arctic Silver and a manufacturer-recommended heatsink/fan.

I just donlt have the desire to mess with water or glycol or whatever, and since I usually keep my equipment near top of the line, I don't need to squeeze those few extra FPS out anyway.

Still, some of the stuf peole do is crazy cool - awesome to look at and the results can be impressive, it's just a little beyond me.

Er.. this didn't realy help did it?  smile
Rich in KCK
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 07:04:22 PM »

I went the water cooled route almost 2 years ago and love it.  My temps rarely hit 35c in the middle of summer and usually are around 27c in the winter.  I have my CPU overclocked from a 1700+ to a 2400+ as well.  I do have a 3200+ I'm waiting to install as soon as I finally feel like pulling my tower out from where I have it wedged in under my desk.

Formerly SJSharks
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 08:05:27 PM »

Quote from: "dangerballs"
I've always wanted to just get one of those box fans and attach it to the side on my case.  Turn it on high and instant cooling!

Funny you mention that, because I've done it!  Opened up the side of the case and let the sucker go at it.  Besides, it was a very hot summer and the breeze felt good on my legs too.  smile   I only needed to put it on low, otherwise the fan was too loud and I couldn't hear myself getting killed in UT2K4.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 09:14:57 PM »

Quote from: "mb737"
Quote from: "dangerballs"

Funny you mention that, because I've done it!  Opened up the side of the case and let the sucker go at it.  Besides, it was a very hot summer and the breeze felt good on my legs too.  smile   I only needed to put it on low, otherwise the fan was too loud and I couldn't hear myself getting killed in UT2K4.

We did the same thing with one of our rigs in college.  Worked great.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 01:22:43 AM »

Quote from: "triggercut"
....and HEY there.  Rather than a solid aluminum construction, the AMD stock sink now has a copper pipe in the middle of it.  Nice!  The fan runs faster, too, and with no rise in noise.  Thinking I know better, I install it with the stock fan/sink....

...and my temps now are actually *lower* (31-33 degrees C) than they were with the super-duper sink, arctic silver, and fan setup.  Just a heads-up then:  the new AMD stock heatsinks and fans (you'll know it's a new one if the sink has a copper-colored core at the base; if it's solid aluminum gray/silver, it's worthless) are very good for what they are.   With a 3200, there's no need to overclock, so I'm happy as a clam with my current setup, until I go 64.

Much to my surprise, these were my finding as well.  Sure, I researched all the fancy options with fins, superchargers, and little elves that tossed water on the chip as it ran, but I decided to stay stock!

I'm using the stock AMD heatsink/fan that came with my retail Athlon 64 3400+ and haven't had any heat issues.  It's only used for gaming so I figure I would know if I were having heat issues by now.

I'm also using a few Vantec Stealth fans, a pair of Vantec Vortex HDD coolers for my two WD Raptors, and a quiet Antec power supply.  Despite all those cooling options running simultaneously it runs very quiet.

The giant heatsink/fan combo on my old Athlon 2100+ made more noise than anything else in the house.  To say I am pleased with these cooling solutions would be an understatement.  Before I made the switch I couldn't even hear the television in my room when the computer was turned on without cranking it way up.  Now I can leave my machines on 24/7 if I want to and still go to sleep.

You know, this whole post was rather akin to just whipping my penis out and pounding it on the desk.  I am a geek.  I like geek stuff.  I spent hours upon hours researching my cooling solutions and I am proud of the result, damnit!

I should just hit delete...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: