http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 04:37:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: minimum power for 6600GT  (Read 1704 times)
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2005, 04:23:24 PM »

what is the least amount of power supply you should have available to be running a 6600GT?
Freezer-TPF-
Gaming Trend Senior Member

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 04:46:14 PM »

What else do you have in your system?

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 08:06:53 PM »

The nvidia website should tell you that. But, as stated above it really depends on what else you have in your system(how many harddrives etc.)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 08:42:13 PM »

Or you could tell us what you have and we could give you the  thumbsup  thumbsdown

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 05:21:23 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Or you could tell us what you have and we could give you the  thumbsup  thumbsdown

Or not;).
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 11:21:17 PM »

sorry i have been too busy working to log on for any longer than like 2 minutes.

my pc is a bit outdated.

P4 2.0
20 gig seagate hd
4400ti G4
300W power supply
Windows XP Home

i want to update to the max processor my crappy mobo will allow (2.8 i believe), and i am thinking that my power supply will not be enough to upgrade to a 6600GT.  i don't really want to get a new computer for at least another year if i can avoid it.

thanks for your help.
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 11:32:09 AM »

also, is upgrading my power supply as easy as putting a new one in and plugging it into everything in my rig?  Or is there a limit as to how much power my rig can handle?  I don't know all that much here, so any help is appreciated.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 02:19:29 PM »

My guess is that a 300W PS won't be enough to run that powerful of a video card, even though you aren't running much as far as accessories go.

I would go find yourself a good 400W one, and you'll be set for pretty much the rest of your PC Gaming Career. In theory, anyway. Who knows what next generation will need.

As far as upgrading goes, yes, all it is is simply removing the old PS, removing the tons of cables you have inside there already, and hooking the new one up. To my knowledge, there is no such thing as 'too much power', or any kind of system incompabilities due to too much, so get whatever is comfortable based on your price point.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 03:18:39 PM »

thanks for you input.  i really appreciate it.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 02:36:26 AM »

I believe I read 75 watts.  As I just did a similar upgrade, I'll give you this piece of advice.  With most power supplies, you get a ton of connectors, but if you sort through all the wires you'll find that they're divided into 3-5 daisy chains.  So you might have a dozen connectors, but if you plug everything into one daisy chain, you can still run short on power without taxing the power supply.  If you check my website, you can see what goes wrong when you do that.

That's not the advice.   My advice is to dedicate one chain to the video card. Dedicate one chain to your hard drive(s).  Then put everything else on the remaining chain(s).  That way the high load devices aren't bumping into each other.

With the 6600 GT, the nvidia software (part of the drivers?) checks to see if the card has enough power.  If not, it will step down the clock on the GPU and memory to match the power level.  It can be severe in some cases.  Good luck.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 12:42:21 AM »

cool, thanks.  so far i don't believe i've been having any problems with the card, but you shed some new light on a few thoughts of mine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: