http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 01:30:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memory Dilema  (Read 798 times)
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2006, 11:29:37 PM »

Im currently running 1gb of OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 EL Dual Channel PC-3200 memory. I've got a matched pair of 512mb sticks with 2-2-2-5 timings which I have set to 2-3-2-5.

I'd like to add another 1gb to my system, here's my dilema, OCZ has discontinued this line of memory. So I am looking for a recommendation for memory that will work in conjunction with what I am currently using or even a good website/forum I can use to figure out what I need.

My concern is that I know memory can be fickle at times and disparate brands can cause conflicts. I'd also hate to put in a new pair of sticks that may work but will hamper the performance of my original memory.
Obviously I can purchase a new 2gb kit as well but I'd hate to just shelf the original memory.

Any info or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
TheAtomicKid
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 10:05:10 PM »

Well, on the assumption that you're running an athlon 64 based system (big assumption, but I wanted to be safe rather than sorry), I'd like to remind everyone reading this who might be thinking along these lines, that except for one dfi motherboard that I know of, NO athlon64 system can run with all 4 memory slots full (socket939, not sure how this limitation affects socket 754 systems), and still run at 1T timings. It's a limitation of the memory controller vs the ... err.. I think it's the total capacitance of the circuit, iirc. Basically, when you start putting that many chips on the memory circuit without a buffer, something has to give.

So unless you can accept that limitation, which I believe will affect your overall speed by roughly 30%, depending on the application, avoid using more than 1 stick per channel.

I'm unaware of the limitations on intel based systems... and with socket754, the board does usually have 2 slots, which, attached to a single memory controller (there are two in a dual channel s939 chip, running in parallel), should result in the same slowdown, due again to the total capacitance of the circuit. Someone chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically, athlon64, more than one dimm per memory channel is very very iffy, if you want to run at maximum speed.

Atomic
TheAtomicKid
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 10:05:57 PM »

The speedup you get from the extra gig, might be worth it in some applications, however. Your mileage will vary biggrin

Atomic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: