http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 09:17:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Macbook Pro battery go boom :(  (Read 924 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2008, 03:16:38 PM »

My Macbook Pro is about to turn 2 years old in a couple of weeks. Well, my honeymoon with Apple is over. This morning when I went to use the laptop I found the most horrendous sight--the laptop battery is visibly deformed. In fact, it's actually ripped open and you can see the insulation inside. It's a hideous sight. Apparently, it became overheated and just bursted open.  icon_frown

I use that laptop for almost everything productive these days. I did a bit of digging on the Apple support forums and apparently Macbook Pros made around the time I bought mine had a known problem with their batteries. Apple states that they will replace the battery for free within two years of purchase. Looks like I'm in for some hardware hell as I try to get Apple to replace that battery at the end of my two year period.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:48:41 PM »

Hey, look on the bright side, at least it didn't catch on fire.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 05:21:45 PM »

Yeah... so long as the laptop is fine, 2 years of battery use actually isn't bad.  I tend to replace my batteries (or entire laptop) within about 2 years because at that point the battery is near functionally useless (too short of a charge) anyway.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »

2 years? I wish Dell would do that. You only get 1 year from them (no matter what warranty you might have otherwise), and they're designed to fail just outside of that.

And yes, be glad it didn't explode or catch fire.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 09:40:30 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 30, 2008, 05:42:00 PM

2 years? I wish Dell would do that. You only get 1 year from them (no matter what warranty you might have otherwise), and they're designed to fail just outside of that.

And yes, be glad it didn't explode or catch fire.

Apple only has a 1 year warranty on their batteries as well.  You can buy an extended warranty, but I think PR_GMR is covered because it's due to a known defect.  I don't think many laptop manufacturers offer much more than a 1 year warranty on batteries.

And for the record, I own both an Apple and a Dell laptop.  Both had batteries give up the ghost around 18-24 months, so I really don't think one is better than the other.  Both were used extensively and I was happy they lasted as long as they did.

16-bit and loving it!
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 01:24:42 AM »

Well, I made an appointment at a local Apple store tomorrow to bring it it. I also made a copy of the Apple support bulletin listing this battery problem as an extended warranty issue. I'll post again with the results of this repair scenario.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:16:16 PM »

Well, this time there's been a happy ending to my battery trouble. I took the Macbook to the Apple Store in Columbia, MD. David, the very efficient man at the Genius bar, took a quick look at my busted battery and promptly went searching for a replacement. He swiftly found one in the back, swapped it in, had me sign some paperwork, and sent me on my way. All free! I'm now back home cruising the net on my laptop again.  icon_biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: