http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 09:52:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at Getting a LCD Monitor.....  (Read 1558 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2006, 07:51:20 PM »

Well, after lugging my lovely CRT to another LAN party yesterday I've decided it's time to drop it out a 5th story window and grab a nice light LCD monitor.  I was looking on NewEgg, and say this one.  I've never heard of the company but it seems to have great reviews and that's a very nice price.....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 08:10:44 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 08:58:25 PM »

I personally went with a Dell with an extended warranty.  Their 19" widepanel is very highly reviewed.  I'm always leery of companies that might stick me if I end up with a dead pixel - with Dell, I know that once I cut through the language barrier, I'll get my monitor replaced.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 11:04:56 PM »

I have a Dell 19" LCD that's 4:3 (not widescreen) and love it but I'm thinking of moving it to my wife's computer as I've got my eye on this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116373

It's $209 at Newegg and my local Staples has it for only $220 and I could take it back if it had any dead pixels.  I'm thinking Christmas present to myself.  Also would look great with my 360 hooked up to it.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 11:20:58 PM »

I have Acer AL1912's and love them, only paid like $200 for them a year or two ago.  At this point though, I would recommend buying from Costco, because of the lifetime return policy and they have plenty of different models/brand in stock.

http://tinyurl.com/puxxg

The DCL they have for $149 is actually a fantastic monitor, I have seen one up close and personal.  If Widescreen is your thing, the 20" Sceptre for $179 is excellent, instore they look great. Costco has the 19" that Warning likes for $219, lifetime return policy if viewsonic is your thing.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 11:23:45 PM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 01:26:49 PM »

Whats a Costco?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 04:20:28 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 11, 2006, 01:26:49 PM

Whats a Costco?

It's a building with goods for sale, but that's not important right now.

<I think there are sort of like Sams Club. Big warehouse type store. They have a good return policy on purchases so I've heard>

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 04:53:28 PM »

Ah we have a Sams Club in this area but never seen a Costco. We dont have any CompUSA stores either. or Frys come to think of it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 05:02:56 PM »

Sams club is like a gimped Costco, without the lifetime return policy and such.

http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/locator.aspx?cm_re=1-_-Top_Right_Nav1-_-Top_locations

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 06:45:13 PM »

Viewsonic VX922 FTW.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 07:30:01 PM »

I have the Dell 1905FP and highly recommend it, got it on a deal they had going.  I would buy another Dell LCD in a heartbeat if I needed one.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 08:12:42 PM »

Quote from: drifter on September 12, 2006, 07:30:01 PM

I have the Dell 1905FP and highly recommend it, got it on a deal they had going.  I would buy another Dell LCD in a heartbeat if I needed one.

I found the 1905 to be a great monitor for general use, but it had pretty noticeable ghosting. It was to the point that it was unplayable, for me anyway. YMMV. A friend of mine thinks it works great and doesn't see anything.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 12:54:23 PM »

I don't see any ghosting and I play WoW, BF2, and Oblivion at the native res of 1280 x 1024 with everything turned on.  I am using the digital hookup not the analog.

I find it funny when people talk about ghosting as I was very concerned about this when I was thinking about buying an LCD until I went into a Best Buy and found that on ANY monitor (CRT or LCD) if I moved the mouse fast enough I could make it ghost.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »

I've got a 2405FPW and also had the 2005fpw. Both are awesome. Dell FTW. biggrin

www.anandtech.com seems to think so ...  nod

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 09:52:22 PM »

Quote from: drifter on September 14, 2006, 12:54:23 PM

I don't see any ghosting and I play WoW, BF2, and Oblivion at the native res of 1280 x 1024 with everything turned on.  I am using the digital hookup not the analog.

I find it funny when people talk about ghosting as I was very concerned about this when I was thinking about buying an LCD until I went into a Best Buy and found that on ANY monitor (CRT or LCD) if I moved the mouse fast enough I could make it ghost.

The difference is in whether it's bad in games.

The 1905 was, again, unplayable for me. Everything was shadowed when playing a game. The cursor in particular seemed to streak to be about an inch long in certain situations.

It's just like framerate or refresh rate on CRT's or any number of other visual things. Some people see it/notice it/value it more than others do. Not everyone is the same. Just because it's fine for you doesn't mean it won't be bad for someone else.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 10:09:51 PM by Thin_J » Logged

warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 10:15:31 PM »

It's weird.  Refresh rates on a CRT bug the living hell out of me but I don't notice any ghosting on my 1905.  I know it's there and I can see it if I look for it but I just don't typically see it.

The big thing is to try before you buy or get it from someplace that has a good return policy.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 11:12:19 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 14, 2006, 10:15:31 PM

The big thing is to try before you buy or get it from someplace that has a good return policy.

Definitely. It's the only way you'll really be sure what you're buying is something you'll be happy with.

My monitor was on display with a silly-overpriced Compaq computer and they actually had BF2 running on it, albeit in a non-native resolution. Had I not seen the display I probably would have never bought it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: