http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 02:28:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Longhorn  (Read 1505 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2004, 02:23:44 PM »

Have any of you used Longhorn?  What do you think of it?  I would like to try it out so I was just curious.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 08:34:58 PM »

I'll be trying it but not until it gets out of Alpha and into the Beta stage.  I am a little disappointed that the WinFS (Windows File System and replacement for Fat32 and NTFS) has been delayed and will not be released with Longhorn.  As usual the Microsoft site is the best for general information on it: http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 01:44:35 AM »

Longhorn won't be out until sometime in 2006 at the earliest.  Chances are that the current version is going to be significantly different from the final release anyway.

Supposedly there will be a "second edition" of Windows XP released in the interim.  It may be more interesting to find out what will be included in that.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 12:33:16 PM »

Quote from: "egrudzin"
Longhorn won't be out until sometime in 2006 at the earliest.  Chances are that the current version is going to be significantly different from the final release anyway.

From what I've read in PC Mag and I think MaximumPC, Microsoft has bumped up the release to late 2005, but as ericb has said, they're dropping WinFS in order to make that date.  Now that's not to say that things won't change, but I think that's the current estimate.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 05:11:24 PM »

Will longhorn be the official name or is it just a codename for now?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 05:41:19 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Will longhorn be the official name or is it just a codename for now?

I was at a seminar two weeks ago and the Microsoft rep that was there was mainly talking about SP1 for Win 2003, but he did mention Longhorn by that name a few times. For right now, that's its name. If Microsoft decides to change it to something else, odds are they'll do so closer to release. Heck, Win XP was known as Whistler until pretty close to the release date.

As for the WinFS being dropped to make the release date, that doesn't surprise me. They want a new OS out there every so often to generate revenue, but the amount of advancements doesn't warrant a purchase, IMO, until two or three releases down. Most likely the next Microsoft OS I buy will be either Blackcomb (Longhorn's successor) or the one after that.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: