http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 04:52:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LCD Monitors  (Read 6536 times)
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2004, 10:32:47 PM »

Anyone have any good resources about these that are gamer friendly? My 19" CRT is about to take a dump and I'm looking for a reasonable priced 17" Flat Panel to replace it with.

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Zekester
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 01:23:53 AM »

I'll say what I always do when this subject comes up;

Just take the plunge and buy one that you like..but make sure it's from a place that will take it back if it's not what you thought it would be.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Gwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 09:33:36 PM »

A short trip over here will probably be worth the read:

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/

We can't all be heros.  Some of us have to sit on the curb and clap as they pass by.
TorpidSloth
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 11:45:25 AM »

I would also add that you buy it (or at least try out the model you're thinking of) from a place that not only has the monitor on display, but allows you to hook it up to your PC (if your PC is portable enough to do so) or at least to one computer, not those multi-boxes that split one signal between a dozen or so display monitors. That's the only way, in my experience, that you'll be able to know for sure if you're going to be happy with the display when you get it home.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 04:11:24 PM »

How much are you willing to spend?  I ended up buying the LG1720P made by LG Electronics from Best Buy.  It was selling for $480 but had a mail in $80 rebate.  It had a high list price due to having both analog and digital imputs which didn't matter to me, but with the rebate I decided to get it.  After playtesting it for more than a week now I'll write about it sometime this weekend since I had a similar LCD thread on the old GG forum before it imploded and I figure I should share what I finally bought.

Short take is that I'm happy I made the jump to LCD.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 09:43:59 PM »

4 Bills would probably be my targeted budget so I'm anxious to hear your review..

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 04:25:28 AM »

Hey, whatever happened to that review?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 10:07:22 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
Hey, whatever happened to that review?

His monitor blew up and he's too embarassed to tell us about it.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 04:14:18 AM »

I ordered a Dell 2001FP this past Monday, it shipped that day, and I got it today (Thursday) at 12:30pm. Very fast service, and the shipping was free. I happened to find a 25% off coupon on FatWallet.com, so it was a very nice deal: just over $560 for a 20.1" LCD.

I have had a 19" flat CRT for about 5 years on my main PC, and a 21" (non-flat) CRT for about 8 years on the PC that my wife & daughter use most of the time, and I thought they were quite nice (and big).

This monitor is absolutely GORGEOUS!! It is HUGE!! I feel like I've gone from a lake to an ocean! I had to push it farther back on my desk or I felt like it was right in my face.

It's native resolution is 1600x1200, and that's what I'm running it at. I have always liked that setting, and play my games at it. I kept my 19" CRT at 1280x1024 mostly to appease my wife so she can use my PC and not complain about the tiny fonts.

Right after unpacking it and getting it set up (which was super easy and didn't even require looking at the quick start card - come on, it's a monitor), I dove into Half Life 2 for 2-1/2 hours. YOWZA!! The advertised response time on this monitor is 16msec, so I expected it to act like my CRT, and it didn't disappoint me! Very impresive! I changed my desktop to black to look for defective pixels, and didn't see any. I also stared at the completely RED screen when I died in HL2 and didn't see any pixels that weren't red. I've also tried white and they were all white. Very nice!

A nice plus are the four USB 2.0 ports built in to the monitor!

Kudos to Dell for a fabulous monitor! I'm very pleased. The only negative I can come up with is my daughter took one look at it and wanted to know when her PC was getting one  biggrin  Sorry, kid: my wallet ain't that fat!

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 11:10:08 AM »

I love LCD displays but for $560 I can think of a LOT of other things I would have done!

I have a 17" widescreen LCD on my gateway notebook (25ms I think) and all the games and dvds look beautiful on it. No "ghosting" or anything. Easier on the eyes too.

I'd recommend an LCD monitor (17" at least) over the big bulky outdated CRT monitor any day.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Haavok1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 09:49:11 PM »

I just bought the 19 inch Hyundai L90D+ at Chiefvalue for 379 and free shipping.  This is the best money I have spent on computer eq.  It is getting great reviews and is beautiful to look at.  Go to overclockers.com and go to their forum and read all the posts about this monitor.  It is great for gaming ( 8 ms ).
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 05:44:06 AM »

Here are a few questions I have about LCDs:
Is the only color available 16 bit?  I've been so used to 32 bit, I just don't know about dropping down.  

And what about screen resolution?  I understand that many LCDs just don't look good (or sometimes work at all) in non-native res (which is usually higher than I run most games).  

Also, I've been using a 19" CRT, if I switch to a new monitor, do I need to drop down to 17" for it to be decent for gaming?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 04:07:16 AM »

Any reply?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 05:04:44 AM »

Here are a few questions I have about LCDs:
Is the only color available 16 bit?  I've been so used to 32 bit, I just don't know about dropping down.  

And what about screen resolution?  I understand that many LCDs just don't look good (or sometimes work at all) in non-native res (which is usually higher than I run most games).  

Also, I've been using a 19" CRT, if I switch to a new monitor, do I need to drop down to 17" for it to be decent for gaming?

Well, according to my drivers for my laptop, I'm running in 32 bit. I honestly don't know what color resolution I'm running at, but I do have to admit that my desktop image looks a bit funny right now (from World of Warcraft).

All LCDs are designed for one resolution. There's simply that many pixels on the monitor, thus that's the resolution they run at. Unless you're switching to a lower resolution that's an exact multiple of the monitor (1600x1200 native to 800x600), then each pixel of the smaller resolution will equal 1.3 or some decimal point of a pixel, which is simply impossible.

Thus, one pixel will be one pixel, then the next two will be one pixel, and so on. It's mainly noticable while browsing the 'net (reading large amounts of text), but odds are you'll see it in games, too.

My widescreen laptop monitor is great for gaming. I have no idea what the refresh rate is, but I've seen no 'ghosting' on anything I've tossed at it. Sure, it's limited to WoW and some Ghost Recon, but I still haven't seen anything. So I don't know why you'd want to change your size of the monitor.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 06:24:35 AM »

How portable are the 19inch and 21 inch LCDs? In a few months (Shit, 10 weeks!!) I am moving, and I want to ditch my 50 pound Samsung CRT for an LCD. If i can find a good deal i want to buy it sooner rather than later, but if they are bulky to ship or carry around I guess I will wait till I move. Just soliciting some opinions. Also wanted to ask about Sony monitors.

I know they are ridiculously expensive, but every sony monitor I see is just absoluletely gorgeous. What is their overall reputation for LCD monitors?
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 04:15:19 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
How portable are the 19inch and 21 inch LCDs? In a few months (Shit, 10 weeks!!) I am moving, and I want to ditch my 50 pound Samsung CRT for an LCD. If i can find a good deal i want to buy it sooner rather than later, but if they are bulky to ship or carry around I guess I will wait till I move. Just soliciting some opinions. Also wanted to ask about Sony monitors.

They are as portable as laptops.
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 04:59:37 AM »

Hehe, my dad just replaced his old Sony Trinitron 15" with a 14" LCD, although it's got 38ms response time and not great for gaming, it's suitable for a work computer, and the price was a steal for $199CND. LCDs sure seem to have more of a viewable area than CRTs with the same size though. His new monitor looks more like a 15" than a 14", and I'd hesitate to say maybe even 17".
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 02:51:20 PM »

Quote from: "Ypmur"
LCDs sure seem to have more of a viewable area than CRTs with the same size though. His new monitor looks more like a 15" than a 14", and I'd hesitate to say maybe even 17".

One of those optical illusion things. You don't see a giant border/void around a LCD (like all CRTs have), so the mind just thinks that it's bigger.

But you do have a good point. That's why some people like a LCD over a CRT.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 06:59:17 PM »

How portable are the 19inch and 21 inch LCDs?

My 20.1" is about 20 pounds. At least half of that is the stand. The shipping weight was 26 pounds and is easily carried by one hand when in the box (it has a built in handle).

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2005, 07:21:54 PM »

Quote from: "PaulBot"
How portable are the 19inch and 21 inch LCDs?

My 20.1" is about 20 pounds. At least half of that is the stand. The shipping weight was 26 pounds and is easily carried by one hand when in the box (it has a built in handle).

Hmm so if I find a good deal should I get one sooner rather than later? My move is in May, so its not like prices will go down that much.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 06:27:24 AM »

Hmm so if I find a good deal should I get one sooner rather than later? My move is in May, so its not like prices will go down that much.

Nope. Get it now, enjoy it now! Watch for a good deal and jump on it.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2005, 05:35:29 PM »

Hey, gang, I'm close to going LCD here (as in I may be getting one today).

I have a last minute comparison question:

Viewsonic VP201b vs Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP

GO!

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2005, 06:23:56 PM »

GO!

DELL ROCKS! They've also got the 2001FP at 15% off until the 9th.

Snooze you lose!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2005, 06:25:42 PM »

Actually, throw the Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP into the mix, too.

So...

Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP vs Viewsonic VP201b vs Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP

GO GO GO!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2005, 06:26:38 PM »

Quote from: "PaulBot"

GO!

DELL ROCKS! They've also got the 2001FP at 15% off until the 9th.

Snooze you lose!

Uhhh...copy Rage avatar make rage unhappy frown
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2005, 09:46:18 PM »

Here's what I know.  

Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP~ 800:1 contrast ratio; 25ms response time; 1280x1024 native (.29 dot pitch)

Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP~ 400:1 contrast ratio; 16ms response time; 1600x1200 native (.25 dot pitch)

Viewsonic VP201b~ 400:1 contrast ratio; 16ms response rate; 1600x1200 native (lady at Viewsonic sales informed me that "dot pitch" is a CRT term and has no meaning/bearing on LCDs)

Basically, the only things the 1905FP has going for it are the higher contrast ratio and the lower native res, the one I currently use for my desktop (and I still play at 1024x768, typically, to get the best frame rate possible while still using at least 4xAA, so I'm a little nervous jumping up to 1600x1200, but the response time of the 19" seems to have other issues).  The edge the 2001FP has is the S-video/component connections, which means I could plug my consoles into it easily.  However, the Viewsonic is the only one I am able to see in action (and I think it looks pretty good), and I can pick it up immediately at $699, which is a pretty good price, plus can return/exchange it easily if there is a problem.

Give me guidance, oh gurus of gaming!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2005, 10:59:02 PM »

Here's what I know.  

Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP~ 800:1 contrast ratio; 25ms response time; 1280x1024 native (.29 dot pitch)

Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP~ 400:1 contrast ratio; 16ms response time; 1600x1200 native (.25 dot pitch)

Viewsonic VP201b~ 400:1 contrast ratio; 16ms response rate; 1600x1200 native (lady at Viewsonic sales informed me that "dot pitch" is a CRT term and has no meaning/bearing on LCDs)

Basically, the only things the 1905FP has going for it are the higher contrast ratio and the lower native res, the one I currently use for my desktop (and I still play at 1024x768, typically, to get the best frame rate possible while still using at least 4xAA, so I'm a little nervous jumping up to 1600x1200, but the response time of the 19" seems to have other issues).  The edge the 2001FP has is the S-video/component connections, which means I could plug my consoles into it easily.  However, the Viewsonic is the only one I am able to see in action (and I think it looks pretty good), and I can pick it up immediately at $699, which is a pretty good price, plus can return/exchange it easily if there is a problem.

Give me guidance, oh gurus of gaming!

Well, you have pretty much convinced me to go with the Dell 2100 when I upgrade. Plugging the consoles into it is a huge plus I think... Should have jumped on that recent sale, but I can wait!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2005, 11:30:26 PM »

Just so I'm clear, the most critical factor in this decision is the response time, yes?  Or is factoring in the slowdown at the higher resolution enough to make that moot?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2005, 11:35:16 PM »

Just so I'm clear, the most critical factor in this decision is the response time, yes?  Or is factoring in the slowdown at the higher resolution enough to make that moot?

Do we want more response time or less? is 25 better than 16?
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2005, 12:07:21 AM »

The lower the response time the better you are, especially for games and dvds. Remember the response time is how long it takes the LCD to draw the new picture so the lower the number, the faster the new image can be drawn. That's why when you get too high of a response time they have that "ghosting" effect.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2005, 05:42:38 PM »

I'll piggy-back on to this thread a question for the 2001FP (and other 1600x1200 owners).  I know that because of the way LCD monitors are made, if you look at them in anything other than their native res, things get distorted. I have heard that some monitors do have a few other resolutions that they can display with no problems.

As nice as the 2001FP sounds, the 1600x1200 rez is a turnoff for me, as things will be way too small, particularly because I sit a good 2-3 feet back from my monitor.  Are there any lower resolutions that the 2001FP displays properly?  I'm thinking that it would show 800x600 just fine, but I'm looking for something around 1024 or 1280 pixels wide.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2005, 04:47:19 AM »

Damnit, I just read about the perfect monitor.  The Iiyama porlite E435S-B.  It runs at 10ms and is apparently sharp as a sharp thing in the text and graphics department.  Unfortunately, there is some sort of chip legality problem that is keeping it from hitting the US (the Iiyama guy told me 3 months, which means more like Fall).  Now this is the monitor I really, really want.  Does anyone know a reputable UK company that will ship a monitor overseas?

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2005, 10:36:44 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
I'll piggy-back on to this thread a question for the 2001FP (and other 1600x1200 owners).  I know that because of the way LCD monitors are made, if you look at them in anything other than their native res, things get distorted. I have heard that some monitors do have a few other resolutions that they can display with no problems.

As nice as the 2001FP sounds, the 1600x1200 rez is a turnoff for me, as things will be way too small, particularly because I sit a good 2-3 feet back from my monitor.  Are there any lower resolutions that the 2001FP displays properly?  I'm thinking that it would show 800x600 just fine, but I'm looking for something around 1024 or 1280 pixels wide.

This is purely speculation on my part, but I would think that the more pixels on the panel, the better it would look at non-native resolutions.  I have a 2001FP, and while it's obviously not as crisp at 1280x960 or 1024x768, it's not bad at all.

Incidentally, mine's for sale... (upgraded to the 24" Dell Beast)
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2005, 10:47:03 PM »

Thanks Laner.  I actually took advantage of the sale today, and after much waffling between the 2001FP and the 2005FPW, I decided to give the 05 a go, with the full intention of trying to exchange it for the 01 if I'm not satisfied.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2005, 11:41:27 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
Thanks Laner.  I actually took advantage of the sale today, and after much waffling between the 2001FP and the 2005FPW, I decided to give the 05 a go, with the full intention of trying to exchange it for the 01 if I'm not satisfied.

Holy CRAP!! 1680 x 1050!! Whew!!

Plz post your impressions once you get it.

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2005, 02:28:55 PM »

Sorry, forgot to come back to this thread.  Here's what I posted over at OO.

-----------------

Got my 2005FPW yesterday. After setting it up, initial impressions are pretty good. The widescreen is fantastic, and the color quality is just leaps and bounds above my previous monitor. It even makes my new 710N pale in comparison (I need to adjust the 710 some apparently).

The panel is really adjustable as well. A funny thing happened while I was setting it up...I was taking my 19" CRT off the desk when I noticed I hadn't given any consideration to where my center channel speaker was going to go. It certainly couldn't sit on top of the monitor, and hanging it on the wall was out of the question. Luckily the bottom of the stand is open, and there's a spot for the speaker right under the monitor.

I had some real issues getting WoW to run at the correct resolution, but after I realized it was related to my dual monitor setup, I was able to find a fix on the WoW boards. Let me say this, WoW looks so much better at 1680x1050, and I've noticed no performance hit yet.

I have a few minor issues at this point, which are making me consider shipping it back for an exchange:

1) I have one stuck on white pixel. However, it's nowhere near the center and at the distance I'm looking at the monitor, there's no way I'm ever going to see it.

2) I had a bunch of dead pixels, but I was able to successfully rub them all out.

3) The 2005FPW supposedly is known for having backlight bleeding problems. I'm not exactly sure what this is supposed to look like (any info would be appreciated), but I may have some as well, despite having the A01 rev which is supposed to correct them. On a perfectly black screen, when the room is dark, I can see some lighter spots in the lower right corner and along the top left edge.

When the screen is not black or the room isn't really dark, I can't see what I'm guessing would be called bleed.

4) When I look at the monitor even a bit off-angle, the spots where I think there might be backlight leakage tend to get a little rosy tinge to them. It gets much more noticeable when I look really far off to the side, or get really close to the monitor.

I'm going to give it a few days of use and see if these are really problems, or if it's just me being overly critical or trying to see things that just aren't there.

And man is this thing bright. I initially thought my eyes were going to explode from all the light I was seeing. My old 19" CRT must've been a lot further along than I thought.

-----------------

Since I posted that I decided to go ahead and call Dell to have them ship a replacement.  The backlighting thing is not terrible in everyday usage, but there are times, particularly when the screen is dark, that it is pretty noticeable.  I'm supposed to have my replacement by Saturday.  We'll see how it turns out.  I figure if the new panel is worse than the old one, I can just send back the new one and ask for yet another replacement.

One other thing I've noticed, I recently purchase a Samsung 710N for my secondary monitor.  It was great at first, but now with the 2005FPW ICM Profile, the colors a really off on the Samsung (it's very blue).  I've tried loading the Samsung profile a few times, but no dice.  I'm going to have to manual adjust it I think.
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2005, 09:56:17 PM »

Damnit, I just read about the perfect monitor.  The Iiyama porlite E435S-B.  It runs at 10ms and is apparently sharp as a sharp thing in the text and graphics department.  Unfortunately, there is some sort of chip legality problem that is keeping it from hitting the US (the Iiyama guy told me 3 months, which means more like Fall).  Now this is the monitor I really, really want.  Does anyone know a reputable UK company that will ship a monitor overseas?

Actually, apparently NEC makes a 19" LCD with 8ms. The NEC MultiSync 1970GX.

http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/ProductDetail.cfm?Product=393&ClassificationFamily=2&Classification=1
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2005, 12:43:47 AM »

Actually, apparently NEC makes a 19" LCD with 8ms. The NEC MultiSync 1970GX.

Yeah, but that's not even out yet.  There are no reviews I can find.  The Iiyama is getting excellent write-ups and is out.  You just can't get it in the States.

Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2005, 04:35:04 AM »

Well, you can in Canada. Don't see why you can't in the states. Weird.
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2005, 05:11:28 PM »

I just purchased a Sceptre X9G Gamer.  It's a 19inch LCD, 12ms, both DVI and analog inputs.  It also has a composite and S-Video input so you can connect a XBOX/Playstation directly into this bad boy.  

So far I have played Doom3, WOW and Battlefield Vietname and I have noticed absolutely no ghosting.  The fastest LCD's out there today are 8ms and I don't think the difference between 8ms and 12ms is high enough to be noticable. Image quality is excellent, the colors really seem to be sharp and I was using a Sony 19 inch trintron before this.

I purchased mine from UBID for only $300 and you probably won't fine any that cheap now but you can get it at NewEgg for $385 now.  I really recommend this monitor.  Here's a link to it on NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-112-160&depa=1
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: