http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:03:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It finally happened.... XBox advice please  (Read 585 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2011, 02:16:52 AM »

Ok, so my 2007 XBox 360 finally got the E74 single ring of death. (Of course it's the day after Batman came out, damnit.) I'm definitely not still covered by the 3 year extended warranty. Looking at the xbox.com site the repair will cost me $120 and I wait around 20 days for it. This didn't seem that appealing to me, so I thought I'd see how much the new slim models are. I knew the slim came out a while back and I had seen them but never really paid attention to what the different SKUs were or how much they cost.

Putting aside anything with Kinect and the lousy 4G current Arcade model that is useless, I see the XBox 250G is actually $300. $300?! You mean in FOUR years the equivalent to what I bought back then is only $50 less?! Seriously? I know that they improved the hardware and increased storage capacity, but that seems well... shitty. So, $300, + the cost of the HD transfer cable, and.... NO COMPONENT VIDEO?! WHAT?!

Ok enough ranting - time for questions.

1. Is there a way for me to transfer the data from my old (non functioning) 360 to the new 360's hard drive without paying for the $20 cable?
2. Does this thing really not come with a component cable now? Didn't Sony get KILLED for this with the PS3?
3. Can I use my old 360's component cable with the new one?
4. Am I stupid for not getting the old one repaired?
5. Is buying a "refurb" Slim for $50 less a bad idea? If I went this route would there be any issues with transferring my license info from the old one to the "used" one?

Thanks all. It's weird to be a newbie on a console I have owned for 4 years...

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 03:39:51 AM »

1) Yes. Borrow one from GT. There's a thread for it, IIRC.
2) Use the component cable from your old console. It still has the same connection.
3) See 2. biggrin
4) No. The old ones are horrid angry little pieces of technology designed to kill your happiness and your libido. It puts little pieces of glass in your sandwich when you're not looking. Also, I think the drives may violate some sound laws.
I *would* call and see if they'll include you in the warranty anyways, though.
5)I'd pay the 50bux for the new one. Look for the holiday bundles out there. I understand you don't want Kinect - makes sense. But you might enjoy it with the dash update.

Either way, I'd call first and see what they say. If you've never used the warranty, they may still take it in for you. You win bees with honey, not vinegar.

Also, look at getting the basic 4GB model and add the hard drive. Also remember you're getting a new controller too, so factor that into your cost analysis.

Lastly, they have this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005VBVQBU/37298120-20/

Two decent games, extra controller, and the 250GB unit (which I believe is just a 4GB with the harddrive preinstalled).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:41:26 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:51:44 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 20, 2011, 02:16:52 AM

Ok, so my 2007 XBox 360 finally got the E74 single ring of death. (Of course it's the day after Batman came out, damnit.) I'm definitely not still covered by the 3 year extended warranty. Looking at the xbox.com site the repair will cost me $120 and I wait around 20 days for it. This didn't seem that appealing to me, so I thought I'd see how much the new slim models are. I knew the slim came out a while back and I had seen them but never really paid attention to what the different SKUs were or how much they cost.

Putting aside anything with Kinect and the lousy 4G current Arcade model that is useless, I see the XBox 250G is actually $300. $300?! You mean in FOUR years the equivalent to what I bought back then is only $50 less?! Seriously? I know that they improved the hardware and increased storage capacity, but that seems well... shitty. So, $300, + the cost of the HD transfer cable, and.... NO COMPONENT VIDEO?! WHAT?!

Ok enough ranting - time for questions.

1. Is there a way for me to transfer the data from my old (non functioning) 360 to the new 360's hard drive without paying for the $20 cable?
2. Does this thing really not come with a component cable now? Didn't Sony get KILLED for this with the PS3?
3. Can I use my old 360's component cable with the new one?
4. Am I stupid for not getting the old one repaired?
5. Is buying a "refurb" Slim for $50 less a bad idea? If I went this route would there be any issues with transferring my license info from the old one to the "used" one?

Thanks all. It's weird to be a newbie on a console I have owned for 4 years...

1: The cable has been missing for quite some time. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 10:26:59 PM »

Where do you live, JCC?  I believe I still have the transfer cable from my HDD upgrade.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 12:43:30 AM »

Thanks for the advice and the offer of a cable loan! I went ahead and paid the full $299 ante for a new 250G model. I also went ahead and paid the $20 for the stupid cable (thanks anyway Wonderpug!). I've already done the transfer, and now just need to do the license transfer. Hopefully I will be back in Arkham City soon!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 01:35:12 AM »

Dang too late to comment but I thought you could use a USB stick to transfer info now.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 03:58:07 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on October 21, 2011, 01:35:12 AM

Dang too late to comment but I thought you could use a USB stick to transfer info now.

ya that's what I did.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »

Funny thing is, as long as the hard drive is plugged into the cable, you can use your old HDD on your new console.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 09:39:41 PM »

with some effort and time, you can repair it as well. doesn't require any special electronics knowledge: http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 01:16:11 AM »

if its not too hard to fix you should repair it and trade it in for what ever you can get for it.  Places like Gamestop and Amazon will give you some decent credit for them.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: