http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 12:19:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Vista 32 bit or 64 bit better for gaming?  (Read 1558 times)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2007, 01:36:31 PM »

I'm thinking about taking the plunge into Vista. I have all the necessary hardware, with an AMD 64 4200 dual core CPU and a Radeon 3870. So which is the best Vista Option to go with? Is it the 32 bit Vista Home premium? Or will the 64 bit version improve performance?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 04:00:14 PM »

I would go with 32-bit version of Vista.  The 64 bit version doesn't always run stuff properly (and if you are going to be playing older games, you will defintely have problems).
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 04:28:53 PM »

I wouldn't go vista, but the 32 bit version is the way to go.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 06:32:28 PM »

If you have a large back catalog of games, I'd probably stick with XP.  Generally speaking, if it's not going to run in Vista x64, it's not going to run in Vista x86 either.

There's a spreadsheet at http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=8784 that is an excellent resource for determining what works and what doesn't.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 06:40:42 PM by Laner » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 05:02:18 PM »

Blue's pointed out an amusing "Microsoft responds to 'Save Windows XP' petition":
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1294412345;pp;1;fp;16;fpid;1
The spokesperson said Windows will not disappear completely from the worldwide market place after the June cutoff, stating the software giant understood that some market segments such as small businesses and emerging market customers require "a little more time" before they upgrade to Vista.
Upgrade? See? There's the rub. My next PC will pretty much have Vista whether I like it or not, so I'll eat my words soon enough.

It's just...
-Does Vista make games run faster? No.
-Does it make more efficient use of system RAM? No. There's a reason most Vista PCs come with 3-4GB of RAM.
-Is it a more stable OS than XP? No. Many games have problems with Vista.

-Does it fix all the security holes and ActiveX problems in the OS and IE? No, I don't think integrating a sloppy firewall (that most people are going to shut off, as far as the "do you want to let this application run" feature?)and spyware program that aren't up to the standards of third party programs is a great improvement in security.

-Do games look better? Arguably maybe, but I don't see gamers bashing doors down for the barely discernible graphical improvements.

-Does it do anything at all to justify the expense and the performance hit your PC takes trying to run it? No.

-Is there any reason for the OS beyond the fact a new OS gives Microsoft a chance to make more money than continuing support of an old OS? No. I have no doubt they're selling a zillion copies, but at least part of that is them forcing OEM makers to offer only Vista.

What's lost in all the hullabaloo is that XP is probably the best liked of the Windows incarnations (I guess some have a soft spot for Windows 98 SE, but I often had to reinstall that to fix issues). It's the most stable Windows OS I ever ran. There's nothing offered by Vista that upgrades my gaming experience, aside from DX10 graphical enhancements that probably aren't worth the performance hit. Sometimes I'm curious if the Vista team is the same as the XP team or if completely different folks worked on each.  icon_confused

A bud in my TR clan said he built a PC with Vista. He's convinced Vista with the Service Pack 1 is now "almost just like XP." (ironic, no?) Except his computer constantly crashes, and locks up. He's convinced the problems can't have anything to do with Vista.  Roll Eyes Tongue

I realize all this Vista-bashing has been done to death. deadhorse Just wanted to have my one say. smile

================
fwiw, I'd probably suggest staying 32-bit for now. Some disk utilities I've looked into that are Vista-compatible specifically state they don't support the 64-bit incarnation. One example is System Commander (which eases the process of running multiple OS's on one machine), which I thought I might look into as far as running XP and Vista on the same machine.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 05:07:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 04:43:40 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 07, 2008, 05:02:18 PM

-Does it fix all the security holes and ActiveX problems in the OS and IE? No, I don't think integrating a sloppy firewall (that most people are going to shut off, as far as the "do you want to let this application run" feature?)and spyware program that aren't up to the standards of third party programs is a great improvement in security.

There's no denying security is better on Vista.  BTW, you can set User Account Control (UAC) to automatically accept warnings (DON'T disable it, since that can break some other things) if you really want to get rid of those popup messages.  It's just one setting.

As far as Firewall, MS wasn't looking to make the best one- they wanted to make one which is good enough.  Which theirs is.  If you want a really good software firewall, get ZoneAlarm (the free version has always been good enough for me).

Also, Windows Defender is pretty darn good.  But I still recommend people get SpywareBlaster, since it blocks spyware from installing (rather than cleaning it off after the fact).

-Is there any reason for the OS beyond the fact a new OS gives Microsoft a chance to make more money than continuing support of an old OS? No. I have no doubt they're selling a zillion copies, but at least part of that is them forcing OEM makers to offer only Vista.

MS spend something like a billion dollars developing Vista.  I hardly think they expect to recoup that just on Vista sales: it was an investment in their future.

But there's the problem: the majority of Vista's improvements are under the hood, and also regarding how it performs on a corporate network.  That last one especially is key, since MS doesn't really care about home users- that's not who they make Windows for.  Yes, there are home versions, but bear in mind their target customer base is not home users.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:47:45 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 01:58:28 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on December 28, 2007, 01:36:31 PM

I'm thinking about taking the plunge into Vista. I have all the necessary hardware, with an AMD 64 4200 dual core CPU and a Radeon 3870. So which is the best Vista Option to go with? Is it the 32 bit Vista Home premium? Or will the 64 bit version improve performance?

I have the 64 bit version installed on my desktop and 32 bit version installed on my gaming laptop.  I really like the 64 bit version, and I'd argue the drivers are easily on par with the 32 bit version.  The main issue is that some older software may not work correctly.  If you're just using newer software, I'd say take the plunge and go 64 bit, otherwise play safe and install the 32 bit version.

Just FYI, the retail version of Vista Ultimate includes both 32 and 64 bit install discs.  Microsoft also has an alternate media offer here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/2057/ordermedia/default.mspx

I think they basically charge you for the cost of the CD and shipping and they'll send you a 64 bit version if you bought the 32 bit version.

16-bit and loving it!
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 05:42:39 AM »

Quote from: Windows95 on February 17, 2008, 01:58:28 AM

Quote from: Scraper on December 28, 2007, 01:36:31 PM

I have the 64 bit version installed on my desktop and 32 bit version installed on my gaming laptop.  I really like the 64 bit version, and I'd argue the drivers are easily on par with the 32 bit version.  The main issue is that some older software may not work correctly.  If you're just using newer software, I'd say take the plunge and go 64 bit, otherwise play safe and install the 32 bit version.

Just FYI, the retail version of Vista Ultimate includes both 32 and 64 bit install discs.  Microsoft also has an alternate media offer here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/2057/ordermedia/default.mspx

I think they basically charge you for the cost of the CD and shipping and they'll send you a 64 bit version if you bought the 32 bit version.

i think with the vista ultimate cd you can install any of the OSes (home, business, ultimate).  you just need a key to activate. 

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 04:22:58 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on February 17, 2008, 05:42:39 AM

i think with the vista ultimate cd you can install any of the OSes (home, business, ultimate).  you just need a key to activate. 

Actually all of the Vista DVDs are the same.  They include all versions, and the version that's installed depends on the product key you enter.  You can also not enter any product key at install and pick the version you want and it will let you use it for something like 30 days without activating it.  As mentioned above there are 2 versions of the DVD, 64bit and 32bit.

If you do want to order the 64bit DVD from MS you might want to wait a few months since MS will probably start sending out SP1 integrated DVDs.  It's nice to not have to install the SP separately as it takes about an hour.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 05:05:51 PM »

Quote from: egrudzin on February 17, 2008, 04:22:58 PM

Actually all of the Vista DVDs are the same.  They include all versions, and the version that's installed depends on the product key you enter.  You can also not enter any product key at install and pick the version you want and it will let you use it for something like 30 days without activating it.

It's hard to describe what a big deal this is.  It's SOOO much easier now, as anyone who has had to search around for one of the zillion version disks for Win2000 or WinXP can tell you.  XP Home?  Ok, is it retail or OEM?  Is it Media Center?  Which version?  Retail or OEM?   AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 03:24:32 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on February 19, 2008, 05:05:51 PM

Actually all of the Vista DVDs are the same.  They include all versions, and the version that's installed depends on the product key you enter.  You can also not enter any product key at install and pick the version you want and it will let you use it for something like 30 days without activating it.

It's hard to describe what a big deal this is.  It's SOOO much easier now, as anyone who has had to search around for one of the zillion version disks for Win2000 or WinXP can tell you.  XP Home?  Ok, is it retail or OEM?  Is it Media Center?  Which version?  Retail or OEM?   AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

no kidding.  all the computer manufacturers with their own OS disks can suck it too.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 02:36:16 AM »

If you do want to order the 64bit DVD from MS you might want to wait a few months since MS will probably start sending out SP1 integrated DVDs.  It's nice to not have to install the SP separately as it takes about an hour.

I haven't read much on it, but it sounds like there are some issues trying to make custom Vista install discs with SP1 slipstreamed into it already.  I hope there will be a fix.

For those who don't know, there are several fairly easy to use pieces of software (nLite for one) that will allow you to make custom XP installation discs.  That way if you're like me and have a launch version of the XP installation CD, you can add all your drivers (like RAID drivers if you no longer have a floppy drive), SP2 and other fixes, so when you install XP all your drivers and software will be up to date, no patching required.  Easily cuts installation times in half if not more.

16-bit and loving it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: