http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:18:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a Vid Card or Software Problem?  (Read 790 times)
KC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2007, 08:16:44 PM »

I just installed a BFG Geforce 7600GT into my Dell Dimension 4700.  When I researched the card, I was concerned that the stock Dell PS would not have enough power for this card, but the Dell support website listed the 7600GT as being tested and working fine in the Dimension 4700s.  I also have installed the latest nvidia drivers and directx.

My problem is with HOMM V (with all of the patches), a turn based strategy game.  I've been running it at 1024x768 with high details and x2 AA and I get a lot of crash to desktop errors while on the main map.  I thought that this may be a vid card issue, but I've also been running Oblivion with similar vid settings without any issues.

Any ideas?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:22:18 PM »

Shot in the dark, but have you updated your sound card drivers as well?
KC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:53:47 PM »

Wonderpug,

I'm using the mobo integrated sound.  How do I check to see if there is an updated sound driver?
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 09:35:57 PM »

You should be able to hit up Dell's Website and type in your serial number or the model number and bring up the support page.  Lemme check if I can get a link for you.  Here ya go: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 10:17:59 PM »

Might try completely uninstalling your current vid drivers and reinstalling. Theres some utils out there that will completely delete them. Also nVidia hasa brand new driver out..like in the last 2 days...but its basically for the 8800s only.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 02:50:47 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 14, 2007, 10:17:59 PM

Might try completely uninstalling your current vid drivers and reinstalling. Theres some utils out there that will completely delete them. Also nVidia hasa brand new driver out..like in the last 2 days...but its basically for the 8800s only.

Thanks for the info on the 8800 Daehawk.

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 03:12:44 AM »

If it can run Oblivion (one of the more intensive games available currently), it should be able to run pretty much anything. I suspect a software issue. You _could_ check the games forums and see if there's a problem with the nvidia cards and/or drivers... always a possibility, although they'd usually be pretty quick to get a fix in. I think my first action would be either to hit their forums and check for issues, or else try the driver reinstall.... but if it's running oblivion smoothly, it's most likely something else.

Did HOMM V work smoothly with your previous card, or is this a new game?

Atomic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: