http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 07:05:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there an adapter to convert PC speakers to console?  (Read 2159 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2004, 04:03:25 PM »

I'm getting new 5.1's for my PC today, and was wondering if there's an adapter that will convert my current speakers to be usable with an xbox or PS2.

If not, I'll be selling my current Klipsch THX set for a low price, if anyone's interested.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 04:44:41 PM »

Nope.  Absolutely no way to do it.

Now how low of a price are we talking?   :mrgreen:
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 05:15:53 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Nope.  Absolutely no way to do it.

Now how low of a price are we talking?   :mrgreen:

haha smile

$75 shipped for Klipsch 4.1's smile  I paid $250 for them. They're in perfect working condition, and they kick ass.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 05:28:17 PM »

That would be cool.  I wonder if there is an adapter that would let it work with a PS2?   biggrin

Seriously, I might want to spend some Christmas $$ next month if they are still available.  If not, no biggie.  It would be a hard sell to my wife.
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 07:39:55 PM »

There is a solution if you are willing to buy a decoder.

This one is probably the way to go.  I see it's $95 at NewEgg after a $20 mail in rebate special. Not too bad.  I am getting the Klipsch Ultra 5.1s and am thinking about this to hook up all the av stuff in our family room to them.  Klipsch made one, but it is years older and doesn't seem to be available at the moment at the places I've checked.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 08:07:25 PM »

Quote from: "Enough"

This one is probably the way to go.  I see it's $95 at NewEgg after a $20 mail in rebate special. Not too bad.  I am getting the Klipsch Ultra 5.1s and am thinking about this to hook up all the av stuff in our family room to them.  Klipsch made one, but it is years older and doesn't seem to be available at the moment at the places I've checked.

Sold! that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, I think. What's really nice is that it supports multiple devices, so I don't have to switch cables from the PS2, xbox, etc.

Thanks for the heads up!
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 08:20:11 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

Sold! that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, I think. What's really nice is that it supports multiple devices, so I don't have to switch cables from the PS2, xbox, etc.

Thanks for the heads up!

So does this mean your current Klipsch THX are not going on sale anymore?
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 09:49:11 PM »

Quote from: "crumsteel"

Thanks for the heads up!

So does this mean your current Klipsch THX are not going on sale anymore?

Sorry, but no, they won't be for sale. I've been studying the decoder that Enough linked to, and it is SWEET. does exactly what I need, and then some.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 10:51:27 PM »

But aren't your current speakers 4.1s?  The decoder lists 5.1 and up as a requirement.
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 11:20:03 PM »

Quote from: "Biyobi"
But aren't your current speakers 4.1s?  The decoder lists 5.1 and up as a requirement.

Ummm that's a very good point.   :shock:

I wasn't even thinking of that because when I looked at it I was only looking to use it with the 5.1 setup I'm getting.  Good call.

Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 11:53:07 PM »

Hey Jeff, sorry about getting you all excited for something that probably will not work for your 4.1 system.  The older Klipsch ProMedia DD-5.1 would work with four speakers.  But when I did a search on Price-Grabber I came up empty.  And it doesn't look like Newegg carries it.   frown

Edit: Also it will not work for a GameCube, Xbox and PS2 only

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 01:00:06 AM »

I only have xbox and PS2.  

Looking at the connections on the decoder.. why wouldn't it work?
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 04:47:34 PM »

I only have xbox and PS2.  

Looking at the connections on the decoder.. why wouldn't it work?

It might work, I don't know for sure.  But I see on the Creative page and the Tom's Hardware review both mention you need 5.1 speakers.  Maybe you could test it to see if you loose a channel of sound or something and return it if it doesn't work out for you?

Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 11:44:57 PM »

My Klipsch 4.1s come with an input on the speaker with the volume controls on it.  With a RCA-to-DIN wire you can get stereo through the speakers.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 04:45:00 PM »

I think what I'm going to do is this...

My new 5.1's came with an adapter for PS2/xbox. I might just move these over to the consoles, and get an even bigger and badder set for my PC smile
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 05:37:05 PM »

Solution found:

I thought, what the hell ... I'll use the adapter that came with my new speakers, and try the Klipsch on the xbox.  It works, and WOW :shock:

awesome sound!

woohoo! I'm a happy camper! smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: