http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 01:44:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iOS 6  (Read 880 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:31:23 PM »

Has anyone else checked this yet? I'm running it on my iPhone 4 and I like the changes so far that I've seen. I've read about a few things most people don't like, ie maps, but I'm digging it. Seems a bit "zippier" in games and apps.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:49:39 PM »

All I'm hearing about is maps. Apple really screwed the pooch on that one.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 01:10:45 AM »

I feel like my 4s is a little faster now. I like most of the changes. I can see how the map changes are bad, but hopefully they can get it working better over time.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 01:11:02 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 20, 2012, 09:49:39 PM

All I'm hearing about is maps. Apple really screwed the pooch on that one.

Yea, that was the only really bad thing. Other than that Im a happy camper thus far.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 02:50:21 AM »

I can appreciate the bullet Apple swallowed on the maps app. While the google data was more mature, the maps platform it was using painted the app into a corner (to do the more os integrated stuff Apple likely has in mind). They had to take some steps back to open up more opportunities going forward. Once the data matures, I don't doubt that the elegance of the UI combined with tighter integration will give it the opportunity to compete and possibly surpass Google maps. Given how many iOS users there are I bet that data matures at a pretty fast clip.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:48:19 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 21, 2012, 02:50:21 AM

I can appreciate the bullet Apple swallowed on the maps app. While the google data was more mature, the maps platform it was using painted the app into a corner (to do the more os integrated stuff Apple likely has in mind). They had to take some steps back to open up more opportunities going forward. Once the data matures, I don't doubt that the elegance of the UI combined with tighter integration will give it the opportunity to compete and possibly surpass Google maps. Given how many iOS users there are I bet that data matures at a pretty fast clip.

There's a good article on this on The Verge here. I agree with their assessment in that it's going to take a long, long time before the map data is usable. It's taken a long time and a lot of investment to make Google Maps as good as they are. Keep in mind its also part of Google's core business. Apple's core business is not making Map data.

I think the real positive on this is that it allows/forces Google to release their own map application on iOS. Previously, the application was written by Apple using Google's data.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 07:00:04 PM »

I put it on my iPad and frankly don't like it. The mail app no longer has an update button. I also want my youtube app back. The app I use the most and apple scraps it. Thanks. Not looking forward to the google replacement since I liked the apple version better than the android version. Thumbs down.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »

My iPhone no longer works as an iPod in my car after the upgrade so that sucks big time.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 07:20:45 PM »

Quote from: JCC on September 21, 2012, 07:00:04 PM

I put it on my iPad and frankly don't like it. The mail app no longer has an update button. I also want my youtube app back. The app I use the most and apple scraps it. Thanks. Not looking forward to the google replacement since I liked the apple version better than the android version. Thumbs down.

Mail is a drag to refresh now, like most web apps have been doing.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 21, 2012, 07:20:45 PM

Thanks!

-John

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 09:38:44 PM »

Quote from: JCC on September 21, 2012, 09:04:47 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on September 21, 2012, 07:20:45 PM

Thanks!

Sure thing biggrin
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 08:36:37 PM »

And the you tube thing... Go download it from the apple store for free!!! nod
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 09:04:38 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on September 25, 2012, 08:36:37 PM

I still don't see an iPad version in the App Store.

-John

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 08:04:32 PM »

Quote from: JCC on September 25, 2012, 09:04:38 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on September 25, 2012, 08:36:37 PM

I still don't see an iPad version in the App Store.

Wow. I got the one for iPhone day one... I'll look into this, anyone have a answer?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 08:08:29 PM »

I looked. It's available for the iPad. Simply google YouTube iPad app and it pops up by the power of the magical Internet. Wow, I sounded like a smartass there. Just teasing;).
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 01:13:17 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on September 26, 2012, 08:08:29 PM

I looked. It's available for the iPad. Simply google YouTube iPad app and it pops up by the power of the magical Internet. Wow, I sounded like a smartass there. Just teasing;).

I still don't see an iPad YouTube app on the App Store or from google. For now I am using jasmine which is an acceptable substitute.

-John

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 03:42:29 AM »

Quote from: JCC on September 27, 2012, 01:13:17 AM

Quote from: Harpua3 on September 26, 2012, 08:08:29 PM

I still don't see an iPad YouTube app on the App Store or from google. For now I am using jasmine which is an acceptable substitute.

I swear to god I googled it and it brought me right to it on the app store...from and Iphone 4, but then it stated it was for iPad as well...WTF?!? saywhat
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »

I can install the iPhone app on my iPad, but I am waiting for the "proper" iPad version that google says is coming. Jasmine is just fine until then. But, I did prefer apple's version to the android tablet one, so I expect to be disappointed...

-John

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 09:12:54 AM »

Quote from: JCC on September 27, 2012, 02:11:57 PM

I can install the iPhone app on my iPad, but I am waiting for the "proper" iPad version that google says is coming. Jasmine is just fine until then. But, I did prefer apple's version to the android tablet one, so I expect to be disappointed...

Okay the confusion is gone now, everyone can relax, i finally figured it out.  icon_lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: