http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 01:47:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet connection problems  (Read 810 times)
Punisher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2004, 02:34:54 AM »

I've got a laptop that won't connect to the internet. I keep getting page not found errors. I don't want to format the system.
Things I've done:
Installed a new PCMCIA NIC. NIC will release and renew IP's correctly (as will the original onboard one)
Cleaned out all adware/spyware/viruses found
Installed Opera thinking it was just an IE problem.
Checked the HOST file. It's clean.

Cannot connect to any website, even via IP address and including websites that are on our LAN.

Ping/tracert crashes so I am pretty sure there are some windows issues as well.
It is for a customer and they don't want to foramt the system at this time. I haven't had this problem before so I'm currently stumped.
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 10:32:36 AM »

does it resolve names when you ping from a command prompt?  Meaning, does pinging www.consolegold.com obtain a response?

You also may want to check the gateway address.  If the computer doesnt have a valid gateway, it will not be able to communicate outside its subnet.
Punisher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 02:00:37 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
does it resolve names when you ping from a command prompt?  Meaning, does pinging www.consolegold.com obtain a response?

You also may want to check the gateway address.  If the computer doesnt have a valid gateway, it will not be able to communicate outside its subnet.

Ping and tracert crashes as soon as you hit enter.
However I did get it fixed. It looks like some of the Spyware I removed killed WinSock so it had to be reinstalled.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: