http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 08:51:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet Connection Problems (Wireless)  (Read 1017 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2009, 03:50:47 PM »

I'm suddenly having a wireless networking problem...again. My computer says "successfully connected to Network, status: connected, signal strength: excellent. You are currently connected to this network".  However, Firefox and Explorer won't actually connect. I simply get the page cannot be displayed error.

I've verified that my D-Link USB wireless adapter is working, because when I transferred it to my other system and I'm able to log on to the Internet.

Under my connection options I have the following:

Broadband Connection (default)
Auto-detect settings

LAN Settings
Auto-detect settings

When I use the new connection wizard for wireless devices, my network shows up successfully under the "choose a wireless network" list. It then prompts me for a network key, which I enter. A few moments later my tray icon says "Wireless Connection 2 is now connected", and I have a full signal strength bar. However, on the main screen i simply get a information box saying "waiting for the network."

Any suggestions would be appreciated

WinXP
Modzilla 3.5
Explorer 6.0.2
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 04:12:45 PM »

I toggled off the "auto-detect" fuction, and attempted to set my TCP/IP, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS manually. Once again, I'm showing "connected" in the system tray, I have full signal strength, but I'm still unable to load explorer or firefox.  (No Page Displayed)

I have no idea what else to do. I ran various virus scanners just to see if something else was going on, but I'm getting clean results from AVG and malwarebytes.

<edit>

Went back and deleted my wireless connections. Then started from scratch by using control panel>network and Internet connections>Setup Your Connection:

The following information was displayed after selecting the appropriate network:

-Waiting for network.......
-Acquiring address....Success!
-Connected.

Still can't use any form of browser.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 05:50:01 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Bcarle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 07:26:58 PM »

I sometimes have a similar problem on my laptop. It says I am connected to my network but not the internet. when this happens I reboot or do the repair option and it will then say connected to network and internet. I think a couple of times I had to do a hard reboot on the cable modem.  Probably not related to your problem though.

bob
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:39:53 PM »

If your router works, then the problem lies in either your Cable Modem or in your computer.are you absolutely sure your Cable modem works, and is connected to the router, and that the cable modem has acces to the internet?

Have you tried to see whether you can acces your router through the computer? Usually, you do this through either an IP adress or www.routerlogin.com or somesuch

A new one
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:06:59 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 07, 2009, 07:39:53 PM

If your router works, then the problem lies in either your Cable Modem or in your computer.are you absolutely sure your Cable modem works, and is connected to the router, and that the cable modem has acces to the internet?

Have you tried to see whether you can acces your router through the computer? Usually, you do this through either an IP adress or www.routerlogin.com or somesuch

The router and cable modem are definitely working. The entire system is wireless, and I still have complete access to my PS3, 360, and laptop. Furthermore, I know my USB wireless adaptor works, as I've transferred it to another computer and it successfully logs that computer onto the Internet.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 10:28:59 PM »

If everything else works, and the internet connection works on other systems, it seems to reason, that its your computer then. Is there a dongle of something in your computer you connect with, or is that a wireless card as well? Although, if you can acces your other systems through your computer, it does seem like a software failure on your system. Perhaps reistalling your explorer or what you use?

A new one
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 10:32:28 PM »

I updated to XP SP3, after hearing it had better networking troubleshooting. Here is the diagnostic report. Hopefully a guru here can explain this....

Last diagnostic run time: 07/07/09 17:23:08 Gateway Diagnostic
Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Enabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy Bypass list: 
info Could not get proxy settings via the Automatic Proxy Configuration mechanism
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 98.227.XXX.X
info This computer has the following IP address(es): 92.227.XXX.XXX
warn The default gateway is in a different subnet than this computer
warn The default gateway entry is invalid
action Automated repair: Reset network connection
action Disabling the network adapter
action Enabling the network adapter
info Network adapter successfully enabled
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 98.227.XXX.X
info This computer has the following IP address(es): 92.227.XXX.XXX
warn The default gateway is in a different subnet than this computer
warn The default gateway entry is invalid
info Redirecting user to support call

IP Layer Diagnostic
Corrupted IP routing table

info The default route is valid
info The loopback route is valid
info The local host route is valid
info The local subnet route is valid
Invalid ARP cache entries

action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
Invalid IP address

info Valid IP address detected: 92.227.XXX.XXX

Wireless Diagnostic
Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

action User input required: Specify network name or SSID
Wireless - First time setup

info The Wireless Network name (SSID) to which the user would like to connect = Sanctuary.
Wireless - Radio off

info Valid IP address detected: 92.227.XXX.XXX
Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info IrDA protocol is not found in Winsock catalog.
info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection, Device=D-Link WUA-1340 USB Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection
action User input required: Select network connection
info Wireless connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved 
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: