http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:20:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intel Preparing to End CPU Upgrades?  (Read 606 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2012, 04:16:02 AM »

with CPU's already soldered to the motherboard?

Yesterday, a report emerged claiming that Intel is planning to release its upcoming 14-nanometer Broadwell architecture processors as a ball grid array (BGA) rather than an land grid array (LGA) package.

This would have several widespread implications, including bringing to an end to processor (CPU) upgrades.

Traditionally, the processors in desktop systems are fitted into a socket on the motherboard that allows them to be removed and replaced, while systems such as notebooks and tablets have the CPU soldered onto the motherboard.

At present, Intel uses the LGA package design, which allows the processor to either be fitted into a socket or soldered directly to a motherboard. This gives the OEM down the line options as to how to mount the processor onto the motherboard.

A switch to BGA would mean that the processor could no longer be fitted into socket where it could be removed or replaced, and instead would be soldered to the motherboard much like processors for notebooks and tablets are nowadays.

fuck you Intel, you'd better not make me dirty myself with an AMD chip  icon_lol

on the other hand, I cannot think of the last time I replaced the CPU without doing a whole system upgrade.  barring them making the video cards or RAM permanent parts of the mobo I can see this only limiting the mobo/cpu options.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:20:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 30, 2012, 04:16:02 AM

on the other hand, I cannot think of the last time I replaced the CPU without doing a whole system upgrade.  barring them making the video cards or RAM permanent parts of the mobo I can see this only limiting the mobo/cpu options.

Yeah, I realized this myself over my last few upgrades.  CPU prices never seem to drop low enough that I'm willing to just upgrade that rather than doing the mobo/CPU combo.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:23:01 AM »

I must admit, when I purchase equipment these days, I do tend to buy motherboard, cpu, AND ram, simultaneously.

BUT... replacing a cpu, or motherboard individually, will no longer be an option, and thus more expensive/annoying when it does make itself necessary.

Atomic
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:50:16 PM »

Not to mention, every new CPU that's worth upgrading to also has a new chipset/socket, and even if not, motherboards have usually gotten enough nice new features.

And, let's be frank, things haven't been CPU limited for a looooong time now.

That said, I would still like the option. Oh, and this also cuts out the mobo manufacturers.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »

This used to be common in the early 90s, not so much anymore. I wouldn't expect to see this except on their lower lines (e.g., mini-itx lines), which are already soldiered. Keep in mind that the laptop versions of all these processors are already in a BGA package.

While the article lists it as a positive for OEMs, it would seriously increase the warranty costs. If the CPU dies, they've got to replace the whole mainboard and vice versa. It's unlikely it's going to result in a savings once those costs are factored in on the very low margin desktop lines.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: