http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 06:55:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intel i5 vs i7  (Read 3348 times)
Greg Wak
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2014, 03:51:53 PM »

trying to put a system together with a reasonable budget. Going to actually try and build one myself. Research seems to show that the i5 4670 offers the best bang per dollar. But then I see the recommended specs for thief is an i7. I'm certainly not building a system for thief, but if games are already listing i7 in recommended, it makes me wonder if I would be hamstringing myself. Thoughts?
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 07:35:59 PM »

I have an i5 2550k, which is basically the older version of the i5 4670 CPU and haven't had any problems with running games. I think GPU is more important these days. Just about all my games ran fine with the Radeon 7870 at 1680x1050. When I got a higher resolution monitor I purchased a second 7870 and moved to a Crossfire setup. But performance was crap in a lot of games that were not optimized for Crossfire and there were other oddities I was encountering that just ticked me off.

So I tossed that setup and got a overclocked NVidia 780. Games ran smooth as butter with a very few exceptions, like Assassins Creed 4 which has some slowdowns at points, but turning on Nvidia's Adaptive Vsync option smoothed everything out (was blown away it actually worked as described). Its possible the i7 may have smoothed frame rates out naturally but why not save some bucks and put that towards a decent video card which would give more performance oomph than any CPU.

I suspect Thief will run fine on my rig. I have it pre-purchased so will find out when its released.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 07:58:49 PM »

The new generation of console ports and cross gen games coming off the XB1 and PS4 will definitely be using the i7's features. So buying the i7 has more future proofing.

That said, it's likely anything mid-level you buy now isn't quite ready for the switch to the new gen standard, and that hardware spec won't become the full standard for another 2 years. At that point, you'll notice that the new gen console ports are running slow.

So save money and buy the i5, just realize that you're buying on the cusp of a hardware generation change. Last gen consoles dictated and stabilized the PC hardware market and allowed people to keep gaming on 3-5 year old PCs at good framerate and image quality. You're going to be a bit between generations, so be prepared for another upgrade.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:02:43 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 22, 2014, 07:58:49 PM

The new generation of console ports and cross gen games coming off the XB1 and PS4 will definitely be using the i7's features. So buying the i7 has more future proofing.

Does that hold for older i7 processors?  My CPU must be like 4-5 years now, and while I know for sure my video card has become a bottleneck it feels like my CPU almost certainly also has to be after all that time.

I have an i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 08:11:26 PM »

I don't know Turtle. I found a site-Puget computers I think- where they compared i5 to i7 rather extensively. They were pretty identical in terms of features and instruction sets except i7 had hyperthreading, which is more for multitasking and games don't use. At least that was my take away. I'm running a core 2 duo with a nvidia 460 so it's time to do something.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »

Yes, your older i7 will still be good since it's actually better than the ones in consoles.

That article was likely old, even if it was written in the last few months. Times are changing, standards and utilization of those standards are definitely changing.

The default CPU in all consoles now all have 8 cores by default, most of you are still running single or dual cores if you've only been buying gaming PCs. One use of hyperthreading was to handle threading processing across many cores. The i7s tended to have more cores on the CPU than the i5, that's a major thing and is pretty confusing from intel. You're going to see all games making use of a full 8 cores, along with any technologies or techniques to help them distribute processing across those cores without overcomplicating their code.

Take Watch dogs for example, their minimum is a 64 bit OS, a quad core CPU of around 3ghz equivalent of performance, 6GB RAM.

Then their recommended (actually playable with good image quality) specs is an i7 3770 (quad core with hyperthreading), 8GB RAM, and 2GB video ram, and you can bet it's going to make use of anything extra that you throw at it.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 09:41:36 PM »

Interesting points, Turtle. Made me rethink a bit. For $100, maybe I will just play it safe.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 09:54:11 PM »

Good Lord there is a great deal of debate on i5 vs i7 for gaming. Tons of people on both sides. I have no idea what to do. I don't like spending  for nothing but $100 over the life of the computer is trivial. Half the people say hyperthreading does not will not help in games, and the other half say you are crazy of course it does. I certainly don't need a beast machine I just want stuff to run smooth. Some even say hyperthreading can cause small microstutters. My head hurts. retard
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 03:16:03 AM »

To me, there's no debate needed, it's situational.

The i5 right now, is your best performance per dollar for a high end CPU for gaming and general use. Just buy the i5 and you'll enjoy games for a while. Since the i5 socket is the same as the i7 (check to make sure though) you can update to a cheap i7 by the time you need it.

The i7 right now is slightly better performing than the i5 in many situations, even games, but not so much that you want to spend the extra money for it. However, if you do any kind of professional work on the PC, such as art, sound, video, etc, then you'll want the i7 because it is a drastic jump in performance.

Then, in a year or two, the situation is going to change as the industry fully adopts the new console spec. You might actually be better off using an AMD CPU since everyone will be programming and optimizing for that chip, even on PC.

Get the i5, and don't worry about it, spend that $100 on a game. By the time you need to change, i7s will have dropped in price so much that you can do a drastic upgrade for cheap.

That big change I keep talking about in 2 years, well you'll probably want to wait 3 years or more to upgrade anyway since after the 2nd year, hardware stabilizes and prices start to go down for hardware that will run games just the same. This is exactly what happened when the 360 and PS3 came out, they drove down hardware prices drastically after that mark.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 11:04:39 AM »

The main diff between the i5 and i7 is the i7 has hyper threading which will make it appear to windows as if it has 8 cores, it really only has four (unless you are talking about the extreme edition which has 6). Unless you just have the extra money to throw at it I'd go with the i5.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »

I'm trying to wait until the x99 motherboards come out in Q2 and then evaluate.  z87's aren't doing it for me without triple/quad-channel RAM and the x79's seem like they may not age quite as well from here on out as the x58's did.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: