http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 04:43:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Instructions for checking out Ubuntu Linux  (Read 3260 times)
Clay
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2006, 02:34:23 PM »

I posted this somewhere else and thought that people here might like to see it. ---

While this isn't gaming related, I though I would post it here for people interested in taking a peek at Linux.

I've used several Linux distributions, and I've settled on Ubuntu as my favorite.  It's now the only OS on one of my computers and dual-boots with XP Pro on the other. 

Checking out Ubuntu doesn't even require installing anything, since you can download a bootable 'Live' CD that allows you to run the OS off of the CD.  Speaking of which, installing Ubuntu (which does not happen automatically when you use the CD) takes less time than even booting the Windows CD to the point where you can begin the install. 

I have tried to make these instructions as clear as possible - perhaps at the expense of making it seem difficult.  I would like to really stress that this is NOT a difficult process, especially if you don't want to install Ubuntu but just want to run it off of the Live CD to check it out.

What to do:
1. Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/download and choose a download site.
2. Choose the hardware-appropriate Desktop CD.  It will download as an .iso file.
3. You have to burn a bootable CD from the .iso file.  You can do this with NERO or a similar program, if you have it.  If you don't know and/or don't have one, then follow these instructions, which basically say to go get this free program.  Once you have it, install and launch it.  Click on the top option in the panel, and then wait until it loads it's window up.  Ignoring the main interface, go to 'File' and select 'Create CD from .iso image.'  You will then get a different 'main' interface.  Browse and select the .iso, pop in a blank CD, and burn it.
4. You're all done.  To boot into Ubuntu (without screwing up anything on your computer, I promise), you just have to make sure your computer is set to check if you have a bootable CD in the drive before booting from the hard drive.  That's computer specific.  On mine, I have to hit F-12 right after the computer turns on and then move a little arrow over to a picture of a CD and press enter. 
5. Once you boot into Ubuntu, if you decide to do an install, then just double-click on install.  Your hard disk will not be affected until you get to the partitioning part.  If you want to dual-boot (see the note below), then I would suggest manually setting up the partitions so that you don't mess up your Windows space.  You only have to have 2 partitions for linux -- one as linux-swap and the other as / using ext3 file system (recommended).  You can create other partitions, for /home or /var or whatever you like, but you only have to have the two mentioned.
6. Back up any important data on the hard drive before attempting an install. 

Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop by default.  Kubuntu, a sister project, uses the KDE desktop by default.  Personally, I like Gnome better because has less bouncy shiny stuff, but they both share the same capabilities and power.  Furthermore, you can have both of them.  If you install Ubuntu, once you are done, then you just go into Add/Remove programs, into Advanced, and look for the package called kubuntu-desktop.  Then, on boot, you'll have the option to start either a KDE or Gnome session. 

If you decide to install either, then you'll want to find an automated install script that allows you to get all of the goodies (flash plugin for firefox, windows media player, etc...) without having to individually install them.  I highly suggest Automatix

NOTE: The 'root' or superuser is not activated by default in either Ubuntu or Kubuntu.  You may need to activate it in order to edit your sources.list file (basically, the file that contains URLs to the Linux software repositories).  To activate the root user, follow these instructions.

ONE MORE NOTE
If you decide to try to dual boot Linux (and flavor - Ubuntu here) and Windows, you must install Windows first (if it's not already installed).  If you already have Windows installed and you have a lot of free hard drive space, you can probably install Ubuntu without even messing with your Windows install.  What happens is that when you install Ubuntu after Windows, it installs GRUB, which is a boot loader, into the boot partition.  Then, each time you start your computer, the first thing that will pop up is a list of the operating systems installed on your computer, allowing you to choose which you want to use.  If you choose Windows, then you'll use it never knowing Linux is on the system.  Note that Linux can read Windows partitions, so you'll set the mount-point of your Windows partition during the install and then, later, you can navigate into your Windows files from your Linux desktop.  The opposite is not true -- Windows cannot read Linux-formatted partitions.

Quite literally, there are tens of thousands of free applications available through Linux.  In Ubuntu, you find them by editing your sources.list to enable the universe repositories (basically just uncommenting a few lines) and then you go to 'Add/Remove' under the Applications menu and look around and/or click on Advanced. 

Things that aren't easy or don't work well:
- You will have to use the terminal (non GUI) to do some things
- Installing programs that aren't in the repository.  (99.9% of what you would want is in a repository and can be installed automatically, if you add the repository to your sources.list file.)
- Funky hardware drivers (tablets, webcams, other stuff?).  On both of my laptops (read: proprietary strange hardware), everything was detected and installed without any input on my behalf, with the exception of the Wacom tablet.
- Full MS Office compatibility.  Most Linux gnome/KDE installs come with OpenOffice, which has all of the functionality of MS Office.  For the most part, OO opens MS Office documents without a problem.  The reverse is not necessarily true, depending on funky formatting, etc.
- Ubuntu installs without a lot of bloat.  That means that a lot of the drivers and applications that you might want are not installed by default.  While this isn't a problem, per se, it just means that it takes a little more time to set everything up than you would think.  Luckily, this is automated through a few scripts.

xbox live: nude rick james
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:43:08 PM »

By the way, if somebody checks this out, post your thoughts.

Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 04:39:31 PM »

Those instructions look spot on.  I hadn't realized the ISO image I burned doubled as an actual Live CD, so I was confused for a moment when I never saw any installation prompts.   Why bother with Knoppix when I could use Ubuntu?  Having root being disabled confused me at first, but since I'll be putting it on a home machine, the worst security problem I'll have is my 3 year old son closing windows when I'm not looking.

The machine I was trying to install it on has hardware problems, so I was never actually able to do anything more than tinker with it, but what I saw, I liked.   
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 11:05:52 PM »

Quote from: Clay on August 17, 2006, 02:43:08 PM

frown  I went through the instructions and got it all installed, but after the install, and on every boot, it gets to the Ubuntu screen it hangs on "Finding root file system".   Ideas? 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 02:40:39 AM »

I work with UNIX for a living so I am probably not the target audience for this flavor of Linux but I tried it the other day at work, having heard so much about it.  Well not really heard much but it seems the name stands out and so I have seen it a lot lately in various places, including this thread which I had not seen until after I had installed it.

It was easy to install and seemed very user friendly.  That said, as someone who uses UNIX professionally I would rather have something more 1) geared for an enterprise/business environment and 2) more widely in use.  As a computer gamer, which is what I do at home, all versions of Linux are out because XP is the best platform for PC gaming, bar none.

olaf
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 12:01:42 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 17, 2006, 11:05:52 PM

Quote from: Clay on August 17, 2006, 02:43:08 PM

frown  I went through the instructions and got it all installed, but after the install, and on every boot, it gets to the Ubuntu screen it hangs on "Finding root file system".   Ideas? 

Hmm...  Were able to boot off of the CD into the gnome desktop?  Did you set it up to dual boot?  Right after the machine comes on, did you try hitting Esc to go into the GRUB launcher to select one of the other boot options?  (you'll see these automatically if you're dual booting)

If all else fail, you could either try installing again or just trash it and walk away.   nod  I didn't have any problems with any of the 3 machines that I have installed it on. I asked over at the Ubuntu forums, though, so we'll see what they say.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 12:16:37 PM by Clay » Logged

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 12:21:00 PM »

It looks like there are some answers in some of these threads.  The problem can have to do with renaming another hard drive and or having partitioned incorrectly during install. 
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=7546893

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 08:36:35 PM »

Mine sat for a while at that message...and then continued on...but it was a long wait.  And then everything was fine.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 09:05:27 PM »

Hmm...  Interesting.  I've never had the problem.  How long of a wait was it for you?  Was this using the CD or after an install?  It's my understanding they just created a new package with all of the past 3 months' updates on it, so maybe there's a problem. 

I agree with olaf to a certain extent.  Ubuntu (and Linux for that matter) is not good for gaming.  I've fiddled with Linux for the past 3-4 years, though, and I have never found a distribution as user friends as Ubuntu.  In terms of a platform that could compete as a primary platform in a business setting (as long as that business doesn't rely heavily on graphics or games), I think Ubuntu has just about everything you could ask for.  If the default gnome is too confusing with the applications at the top, then Kubuntu largely mimics XP's layout.  If I were starting an organization now, I would probably go with it over Windows.

For gaming, though, it's Windows all the way.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 05:16:52 AM »

Well, I did do some custom partition action.  Better left to the professionals it seems.  I formatted and let the wizard do all the work.  Booted up just fine after the re-install.    Now to play around and learn what I'm doing....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 12:51:02 PM »

Since you're just messing around, I would activate the root user, following these instructions first. 

Next, uncomment the universe repositories (that is to say, give yourself access to download and install all of the available programs, not just the ones officially supported by Ubuntu). After you have enabled the root login, open a terminal window and type in 'su' for superuser.  That will log you into the shell as root.  Then, type in:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

You'll see several lines commented out with a #.  Just uncomment them and then add this to the bottom:

deb http://www.getautomatix.com/apt dapper main

To get automatix, all you have to do after that is enter this in the terminal:

wget http://www.getautomatix.com/apt/key.gpg.asc
gpg --import key.gpg.asc

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install automatix

That will open up a window allowing you to choose from a bunch of codecs, programs like Realplayer, etc...  I would suggest the modification that allows you to open a nautilus (the windowing system in gnome) window as root.  It's useful for setting permissions and ownership without using the terminal.

What you'll notice after you uncomment the universe repositories is A LOT more programs available in the Add/Remove Programs... menu item under Applications at the top left (as long as you click the checkbox that says view unsupported applications, etc...).  Clicking on Advanced will show you somewhere near 20,000 software packages that are available. 

I do a bit of web development for various reasons and it is extremely useful to me to be able to have my laptop run as a Linux webserver so that I can mimic the environment of the sites I'm working on and do all of my development locally.  For instance, if you wanted to mess around with GT without causing problems to the site, you could conceivably clone the site on your laptop and be able to mess with it while not even connected to the internet, just through http://localhost

Or, you could just install Gnome Nethack and just return to the glory days of gaming, forgetting about all of the other stuff.   icon_lol

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 12:52:27 PM »

p.s.  If you want to browse more icon sets and themes, take a look at http://art.gnome.org

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 08:51:19 AM »

i have an Ubuntu ISO i got from bittorrent to replace SUSE 9.2 on my current machine (dual boot with WinXP using GRUB) ... now, how do i do the replacement?  do i have to manually wipe out the SUSE partition, and... do what with GRUB?
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 02:07:25 PM »

Hmmm..  Well, first of all, I would go get the .iso from ubuntu.com to make sure that you have a recent one.  The Ubuntu CD is a live CD, so boot from it, and when you choose to install, you can choose to manually edit the partition table, which should allow you to delete your SUSE partitions and create new ones for Ubuntu.  I think that Ubuntu will throw it's own GRUB version on the boot sector and find the other installs. 

Either way, until you start deleting partitions, the install from the live CD will not make any changes, so you can at least boot into Ubuntu and see what it says.  For your case, though, I would highly recommend against the automatic partitioning. 

Make sure you create a linux-swap partition and a root partition.  Besides that, you don't really NEED any more partitions.

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 06:57:33 PM »

I would like to add that there is a fantastic guide to Ubuntu found here:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper

Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 03:44:05 AM »

Also, check out Mepis and Sabayon live dvds. They include goodies like the ati and nvidia 3d drivers baked in, plus some other stuff that isn't open source. Good stuff and very user-friendly.  thumbsup
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 06:46:32 AM »

oh yeah, Edgy Eft came out yesterday.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 02:08:17 PM »

Have you tried it out and/or do you have impressions?

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 08:39:56 PM »

gonna try it out this weekend, probably.  i have some space reserved for it on my new HD...

UPDATE:  it took a really long time to load off the CD, including a part where it seemed to freeze up completely (this was during the logo/bouncing progress bar part).  when the desktop appeared, it displayed a "There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon. etc etc" message, and the system refused to respond to keyboard and mouse input.  you could see the mouse cursor in the middle of the screen, but it wouldn't move.  i ran a disc integrity check on the CDR i burned, and there were no errors.  i'll try again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 11:17:52 AM by hitbyambulance » Logged
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 12:20:32 PM »

Hmm...  I had install problems with Dapper Drake once or twice - similar symptoms.  I'll probably take a look at it in another week or two.  I'm having problems with my DVD drive.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 10:03:49 AM »

ok... i'm able to use the mouse and keyboard with Edgy Eft on the second attempt (i'm typing this post from the liveCD runtime session right now).  it does come with Firefox 2.0, cool.   everything (including web connection) is running pretty slow, due to the OS running from the CD (tho Knoppix liveCD is much speedier).   some web sites (like ubuntuforums.org) are taking for-ev-er and a day to load.  it seems to use a 'smoothtype' sort of font display like WinXP has, but i wish to disable it  -ok that was easy, but it looks like crud.  back to 'best shapes' font.    OpenOffice looks really nice on Linux - it rather looks like MS Office 95 on Windows.  need to get it to recognize my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard, rather than the nForce2 SoundStorm integrated audio, and to change the resolution/refresh rate.  both are now fixed, mostly.  more impressions later.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 11:17:23 AM »

been using this for a bit longer.  getting the 3D drivers for my Radeon 9700 actually wasn't nearly as difficult as i had feared, and in the process, i've become slightly more comfortable with editing the xorg.conf file. hah. also fine-tuned my monitor settings (refresh rates, especially) and it looks really nice now.

i managed to make my Intellimouse non-detected for a while, but realized that i had chosen a wrong mouse option in the X11 configuration 'wizard' (solution: pick 'IM', not 'Explorer').  i switched my speaker system to the SoundStorm audio for the time being, and it works fine with that.

still some stuff i gotta do (Automatix2 to grab all the codecs), and there are a few outstanding problems, like amaroK not detecting any music CDs in my DVD drive.  i also have to install a few games.  i downloaded the Darwinia linux patch, but haven't gotten it to work yet.  will be also getting patches for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Heavy Metal: FAKK, and possibly UT2K4.  i saw there's a linux version of Jagged Alliance 2, but i don't know if there's a patch for the Windows version.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 11:21:06 AM »

Quote from: Ibby on August 17, 2006, 04:39:31 PM

Why bother with Knoppix when I could use Ubuntu?

it does appear that the Knoppix liveCD is much* faster than the Ubuntu one (or any other liveCD i've tried).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 11:25:29 AM by hitbyambulance » Logged
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2006, 11:58:18 PM »

I am using the Ubuntu Server OS...can't wait to get it installed and working.  Does anyone have any suggestions before I continue with this endeavor?

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2006, 12:36:51 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 10, 2006, 11:58:18 PM

I am using the Ubuntu Server OS...can't wait to get it installed and working.  Does anyone have any suggestions before I continue with this endeavor?

haven't installed server before...
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2006, 12:39:46 AM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on November 11, 2006, 12:36:51 AM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 10, 2006, 11:58:18 PM

haven't installed server before...

Darn, should be a fun experience for me though.  I wanted to get a little more into the linux side of things...and now that I have an extra older computer sitting around, I thought I would make some use of it...so I am going to turn it into a server.  I already downloaded Samba for Windows/Linux filesharing interactivity.  Gonna be sooooo fun to set all of that up, but once I know how, it should be a gift that keeps on giving.

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2006, 03:01:28 AM »

I would suggest NOT installing the server version if you want to mess around with it because then you will have to apt-get install gnome or kde.  Instead, it may be easier to install the desktop version and then install the AMP part of LAMP using a graphical interface. 

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2006, 10:28:28 AM »

Quote from: Clay on November 11, 2006, 03:01:28 AM

I would suggest NOT installing the server version if you want to mess around with it because then you will have to apt-get install gnome or kde.  Instead, it may be easier to install the desktop version and then install the AMP part of LAMP using a graphical interface. 

Ah, ok, thanks Clay.  It looks like I accidentally grabbed the desktop version anyways.  I hsould read what I download.  Well, I know L = linux, A = Apache Server, MySQL, and the whole Perl, python thing.  Would I need all those or I could I just set up a FTP server?

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2006, 02:49:41 PM »

The P usually stands for PHP.  The beauty of Ubuntu (or most flavors of Linux) is that you can install and remove whatever you need to through synaptic and/or aptitude.  It is a simple as checking a box, literally.  I didn't know which kind of server you were trying to set up, and no, you don't need those for a FTP server.  Just go into "Add/Remove Programs," click on advanced, and then search for FTP.  There's probably a super-package that includes all of the dependencies and will automatically check them when you check it for installation.  Then, just click apply/install, and you'll be all set to go. 

The best attitude to take if you're delving into this for the first time is that it's OK if you mess it up.  It's hard to mess it up, but don't kill yourself if you find that it would be easier to just wipe the drive and start over again.  There are literally thousands of tutorials online for doing everything you can imagine with Linux, and the Ubuntu forums are very helpful for newbies, so post there if you want to take a careful approach and are unsure of what changes you're making.  Some things, like Beryl, are freakin' cool as hell, but not quite ready for mainstream.  If you plan to try them, be prepared to reinstall if you don't like it or if something goes wrong.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2006, 09:29:16 PM »

Cool, thank you very much Clay...do you mind if I bug you some more once I need some more help?  Just in case I can't dig it up...

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2006, 09:17:32 PM »

No prob.  You can PM me or just post here, for the benefit of the forum.  My Ubuntu machine has some critical hardware problems, so I'm currently not able to reference anything on there for you.  However, I'll be happy to share whatever I remember.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2006, 09:37:12 PM »

I have been attempting my best to get this dang Broadcom wireless card to work.  4318.  I have tried everything in the forums and it is slowly starting to get a tad bit aggravating.  Oh well, I love a good challenge.

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2006, 11:04:29 PM »

Sorry -- I can't help ya there.  My wireless was detected and worked on install.  You need the ndiswrapper or whatever it is, though.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2006, 12:31:39 AM »

Quote from: Clay on November 13, 2006, 11:04:29 PM

Sorry -- I can't help ya there.  My wireless was detected and worked on install.  You need the ndiswrapper or whatever it is, though.

I tried that, and nothing happened.  May I ask what model wireless card you have please?

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2006, 02:42:15 AM »

Sweet, got it to work after fiddling around with the settings for a while.  I was pretty happy that it finally worked.  Well, now to enjoy Ubuntu goodness biggrin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: