http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:07:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inspiron XPS  (Read 1270 times)
Gwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2005, 12:24:16 AM »

I just ordered a new toy, the Inspiron XPS notebook.

P4, 1GB SDRAM, 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 AGP 8x Graphics card.

Although I'll use it for work, I'm thinking it might just be pretty adequate for some serious gaming.

Anyone used one of these for gaming?  I think the battery life will suck big time.  Is the fan adequate?  How noisy?

We can't all be heros.  Some of us have to sit on the curb and clap as they pass by.
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 05:51:23 AM »

I currently run a Gateway AMD 64 3200+, 1.25GB of RAM, and a 64MB 9600 Pro video card. I can play WoW amazingly well on this thing at moderate settings, although I haven't thrown much at it yet that would really push the system.

I haven't tried battery life under full load though, so I can't give you life expectations unfortunately.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 06:20:32 PM »

i've had one for a little over 2 months now, and its a great machine.  easily outperforms my desktop.  with that in mind, the battery life just plain sucks, but i wasn't expecting it not to be.  it gets just over an hour on battery save mode and that's without gaming at all.  the larger battery lasts ~2 hours, but no subwoofer in that one.  plus, the performance drops noticeably without external power.  

i only use it plugged in unless i need to look something up that i have saved.  i imagine with the 9800 you have (i have the 9700, $350 was too much of an price increase at the time), you will probably have even more limited time off ac.  the fan is loud when gaming, but not leaf blower loud. i haven't seen any problems with heat, but with as much power is being used, keep those vents totally clear.  

i am perfectly happy with this though, as the end result is a portable powerhouse.  played all of half life 2 with it, and it looks great at 1920x1200.  vampire also looks good

oh, i also would recommend not putting this on your lap for any major stretch.  one, its a bit heavy after a while, and two, the vents on the bottom could be blocked by fabric.  

hope you enjoy yours as much as i do mine.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Gwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 06:37:06 PM »

I hear you on the heat factor.  I found a really neat, light-weight lap protector which keeps the heat off my legs and provides some ridges the laptop sits on to keep the vents open.  If I can find the web site I'll post it. I'm seriously thinking of selling my 2 yr old Dell Tower because this has it beat to all get out.

By the way, this notebook weighs in at over 10 lb.  (One and 1/2 gallon milk jugs)

We can't all be heros.  Some of us have to sit on the curb and clap as they pass by.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 02:12:02 PM »

You should have very little trouble playing any game on that.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 02:53:24 PM »

Now, not to gloat about battery life or anything, but I do know that under full battery saving modes, my PC will last for a little over 3 hours, as long as you're not doing anything more intensive than editing a Word document. biggrin

And it's whisper quiet most of the time. Of course, I do have a lap cooler device thingy, but even without it it's quiet.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: