http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 05:12:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a DVD RW drive  (Read 1483 times)
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2004, 08:59:48 AM »

I am planning to get a new DVD video camera in the next month and I also want to get a DVD RW drive for my computer so that I can burn the DVD RAM videos onto DVD R media and then re-use the DVD RAM discs.

Can someone recommend a quality DVD RW drive that has all the functionality that I need? I've never used one before and I have rarely used the normal DVD reading drive that I have in my computer.

p.s. I'm confused about all the + / - terminology. Also, I've seen a lot of drive that don't mention anything about DVD RAM disks.
And finally, newegg.com links would be helpful, as they are my preferred online merchant.

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
dangerballs
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 09:04:03 AM »

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-033&depa=0

That is the one that I have.  Its super fast, its dual-layer, it can write to every popular format, and it also is good with all the copy protection schemes.  Plus, you can't beat the $69.00 price.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 10:18:24 AM »

Thanks for the tip, dangerballs.

Can your drive read DVD-RAM disks? That will likely be the media I use for my DVD video camera.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 06:26:17 PM »

i'll second DB's recommendation for that NEC ND-3500A...which is also available in black, or with a copy of Roxio's burning software for only $2 more.  both Anandtech.com and TomsHardware.com have called it the best DVD burner available in their recent comparisons (published last week)...not only is it the fastest, but they both say it has the best burn quality/compatibility.  the only weakness is that it doesn't seem to have DVD-RAM support.  if DVD-RAM support is a must, then i would recommend the Pioneer DVR-108...comparable to the NEC, but its max CD burning speed is a little slower (32x vs 48x).  they're both quality burners, but the NEC comes out on top in my opinion because DVD-RAM isn't useful to me...i'm on the the verge of buying the same burner for myself Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 06:38:18 PM »

The drive can't read DVD-RAM at the moment, which would be a problem for you.  

However, I would suggest that you reconsider the DVD video recorder.  A straight DV recorder will give you much better quality.  The DVD camcorder records directly to disc in compressed MPEG2 format and the quality takes a big hit over tape.  I would get a DV recorder and then copy that to my computer for editing and then record to DVD.  You will most likely want to edit the recording anyways, so either way it will get to your computer.

Furthermore, the DVD that the camcorder will create will not work in current stand-alone players (very few DVD-readers can even read DVD-Ram - Panasonics are a brand that is good for their support), battery life is much lower, and the media is a much higher price.

Right now, DVD camcorder are not a good purchase.  Maybe in the future, if blue-ray or something similar takes off and allows for uncompressed recording, but right now the quality is horrible compared to DV.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 10:36:20 PM »

Very helpful responses so far. Thanks!

Regarding the DVD recorder, I am concerned about the mimiDV tapes become obsolete in the near future and getting stuck with a box of movies I can no longer watch (at least easily).

If there was a simple way to get the DV tapes onto my computer to burn a DVD that might be a different story. I'll have to look into it more but I don't have a firewire port on my PC.

For DVD camcorders, I also liked the idea of being able to record something and then immediately being able to pop it into the DVD player to watch without going through the hassle of setting up cables to connect to my TV.

So many choices...

unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 03:46:03 PM »

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2260
http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20041102/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: