http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 06:01:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have had it with researching a laptop purchase!  (Read 1206 times)
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2006, 02:48:42 PM »

I have been researching for over one year now for a desktop replacement laptop.  I started wanting an Alienware M7700.  I then gravitated to a Sager/Clevo model (suggested by some fellow GT folks).  I then considered a Dell XPS 170 (Dell - shudder).  Back to Alienware.  I'm ready to give up.  I know more about Alienware, Dell, Discountlaptops.com, pctorque.com, hypersonic-pc.com, and powernotebooks.com more than I want to admit.

I have researched everything about these systems and companies.  I know what I want in terms of core specs and will not budge above $2,300-$2,400 in terms of pricing:

2.0 Ghz Pentium M
2GB Memory
100GB 7200 RPM HDD
DVD Burner/CD Combon Drive
GeForce 7800 GTX
Good sound (preferably with built in subwoofer though not essential)
Sparkling display (WSXGA or WUXGA)

I was just about ready on Tuesday morning to swallow my pride and get a Dell XPS M170 with all of my specs for only $2,255!  Guess what?  Discon-f'ing-continued!  But, I can get a new M1710 dual core for only about $1,000 more than I want to spend.  No way!

So, I'm now considering going back to an Alienware M5700 and just accepting the fact that it only comes with a GeForce 6800 card and living with it.  I can't find any info on whether the M5700 can be upgraded with a 7800 GTX card.  I will assume it can't.   After all, the only games I will play on the laptop are strategy/RTS-type games like Gal Civ II, Civ IV, Empires at War, The Movies etc.  All my heavy FPS/sports games are on the X360.

This has been very trying and I'm exhausted.  I have a personal thing that I must research for a minimum of 6-months on any electronics/major purchase.  I'm already over a year and still can't pull the trigger!!!  I almost did on Tuesday.  So in the mean time I have those PC games I mentioned above waiting to be played.  I refuse to play them on my age old desktop.

I'm mad.   :evil:

Any help or suggestions folks before I go ballistic and cancel the whole idea of getting a laptop???

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 03:16:46 PM »

Well, according to your post you have been researching for over a year. Technology changes fast and if you keep waiting for the next thing you will NEVER get a laptop.

I would:
1) Wait until you have the money to spend.
2) Once you have the money, order the best laptop you can within a week. Yes the price will go down next week and something better will be out as well, but again, if you keep waiting......

What is the actual purpose of the laptop? IE: What are it's primary functions going to be?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 09:17:45 AM »

I`d look at Falcon Northwest (I`ve had a great experence with them) over Dell or Alienware.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 10:54:49 AM »

Hmm, hold that thought.  The M170 Dell Gaming Laptop has been discontinued as of Tuesday of this week.  Expect falling prices VERY soon.  I've seen a few in their outlet section that have crept towards the 1500 mark.  The laptops in that section are not necessarily just rebuilt, but they may have never left the assy line.  I.e. A customer ordered it, then cancelled - now Dell has their custom build and nowhere to ship it.  Might check into it.  Mine arrives Tuesday. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 06:21:02 PM »

I was looking around Dell's site last night.  They have some REALLY cheap laptops... I believe one model went as low as $399 after MIR.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 09:38:58 PM »

Exactly.  Just depends on what you want out of your laptop.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: