http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 07:01:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I.E. History not clearing  (Read 1350 times)
Sparhawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2006, 07:12:07 PM »

When I clear the history for I.E. it will clear from the address bar drop down menu, but not the history viewer located in the tool bar. Any ideas how to clear that?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 07:30:14 PM »

Set the "Days to Keep Pages in History" to 0 and clear it again.  Usually works.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 03:52:09 AM »

Just saw this post, sorry, don't read these forums every day, but getting better smile

You can continue to do it manually, which is always good, but I started using this quite a while back, and I'm totally in lust with it.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Atomic
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 03:25:54 AM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on November 19, 2006, 03:52:09 AM

thumbsup thumbsup

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 12:20:22 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 22, 2006, 03:25:54 AM

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on November 19, 2006, 03:52:09 AM

thumbsup thumbsup

Same here, this is one heck of an awesome program.

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 11:09:33 PM »

Oh, for the record, since nobody directly and completely actually answered your question.

Tools/Internet Options/General Tab...

the 'Temporary Internet Files' section is the one you're looking for. Under advanced options you can do things like specify how much space it's allowed to use on the hard drive, etc.

I'm on broadband, so I dont recommend allowing it to use tons of space, UNLESS YOU ARE ON A BANDWIDTH PLAN. If your on managed bandwidth, you'll want to allocate a fair amount to the cache, so that it doesnt constantly redownload pages. I've got mine set  to 50 megs, which is more than enough space to cache pages. It used to be 5 megs, but I decided to show my provider a little mercy biggrin

Oh yeah. Mozilla for the win biggrin I use IE for exactly two things. Windows Update, and a particular web game I play that needs it. Other than that, it sits unused, cause I got tired of having to deal with security worries. (activex, etc)
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 03:57:23 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on December 07, 2006, 11:09:33 PM

Oh yeah. Mozilla for the win biggrin I use IE for exactly two things. Windows Update, and a particular web game I play that needs it. Other than that, it sits unused, cause I got tired of having to deal with security worries. (activex, etc)

Technically, in the last year or so, Mozilla has had more security worries than IE.  Just saying.. I use Firefox myself, but I am fully aware it is not the panacea of brower woes that most people claim it is.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 11:35:36 PM »

Technically true, but it still doesnt engage in such reprehensible behavior as to run remote software like activex controls, which can compromise security, without the users consent, etc. It will still do java/javascript stuff, I suppose, but unless I'm mistaken, those have tighter restrictions on them?

About the worst behavior I've seen from java/javascript, is those stupid popup/popunder windows that somehow, invariably, slip by your popup prevention. be it built into the browser, or something like popup stopper.

Atomic

TBH, I think what started me up on my avoid-IE crusade, is a combination of the stupid popups, combined with security worries, which at the time, were far greater than they are now. Stuck with me, I guess.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 12:40:22 PM »

I can't imagine not using firefox. That's just me though. If I didn't have to use IE for some work apps, I'd have forgotten it existed ages ago.

unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 04:31:01 PM »

One thing hackers have been doing for about two years now is exploiting Firefox holes and using them to springboard an attack against an unpatched IE (since the majority of Firefox users stop patching IE/Windows in general: a lot of people have become convinced that using Firefox is all the security they need).

I've always made it a habit to regularly check for updates on all my applications.

Another thing most people don't realize or even think of is how security holes in even games can be exploited to attack machines.  You don't hear about it often, but I recall first hearing about it back when Quake was the biggest game on the internet.  For the most part, people seem to be content to using this ability to cheat (pingbombing an opponent, for exampe), but it can just as easily be used to search your hard drive or install spyware or keyloggers.

I used to have really bad problems with IE6 getting certain URLs stuck in memory, and they wouldn't go away.  It was not anything important, nor do I feel anything untoward was being done on their part, but it was just annoying to see some address you visit once a month stuck in your cache.

But thus far, IE7 has been fantastic.  My only annoyance as been adjusting to the altered layout (the forward back buttons and address bar are cemented to the top), but other than that it's been great.  You can clear your entire browser history in about one second: it's at the top of the Tools list in the upper right corner.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 04:37:09 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: