http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 03:07:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm thinking about buying this rig. Am I a complete idiot?  (Read 1356 times)
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2005, 08:17:08 PM »

Although knowing zilch about the company,  with comparable parts and service they appear to be considerably lower priced than Falcon Northwest or Alienware.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/twisterultraintel.asp

With upgrading to two Gigs of RAM and the ASUS mother board their price is $2770.00.  Sounds like a deal to moi.  Whatcha think?

Don't even suggest building my own rig.  I'm 73 years old and the thought of applying thermal paste on a heat sink nauseates me. :wink:

Anyhow I thought I'd try and get some input from the "geek" community before I took the plunge.

Any and all replys are greatly appreciated and I am very thick skinned. :wink:
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 11:03:22 PM »

Not much action on this board is there? Or should I possibly change deodorants. :wink:
Graham
Managing Editor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 12:53:35 AM »

Seems a bit high to me personally....but I didn't price anything.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 01:08:50 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"

If you happen to price anything in this neighborhood, you might be in for a rude awakening. smile  These suckers are beginning to cost real money.

Falcon Northwest/Alienware for comparable rig's invites serious sticker shock. smile
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 07:50:05 AM »

Quote from: "hohum"
Quote from: "Graham"

If you happen to price anything in this neighborhood, you might be in for a rude awakening. smile  These suckers are beginning to cost real money.

Falcon Northwest/Alienware for comparable rig's invites serious sticker shock. smile

I`m not going to deny that^, but this FNW has served me reallllllllll good over the years :wink: . They know how to sell, build, and support them like no other it seems.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 11:53:04 AM »

The initial price doesn't include a monitor, so with your upgrades you do realize you are not getting a monitor.  So yeah I wold go with the its expensive for what you are getting.  You can get a system without the dual video card's that will run anything out there very well for less money.

Ultimately its your money if you are happy with that big of an outlay of cash for it then go for it.
Gordon Bleu
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 03:40:26 AM »

At that price, it's  odd that you get a 200GB AT100 2MB hard drive instead of SATA 250GB 8MB, and onboard audio instead of a decent audio card.

The 2x SLI 7800GT video is sweet though.. that explains the high cost.

I would at least upgrade the hard drive if I bought this.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 06:11:56 AM »

Check out the Emachines desktop for $599:
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T6524

Specifications
CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ Processor (64-bit with AMD64 Technology)
(512KB L2 cache, 2.20GHz, 2000MHz FSB)
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 1
Chipset: ATI RS482
Memory: 1024MB DDR (2x512MB), 400MHz Dual Channel
Expandable to 4GB
Hard Drive: 200GB (7200 RPM, 2MB cache) 2
Optical Drives: 16x DVD±RW Multi-Format Double Layer Drive
48x CD-ROM drive
Media Reader: 8-in-1 Digital Media Manager (Secure Digital (SD), Smart Media, Micro Drive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Compact Flash, Mulitimedia Card, USB 2.0)
Video: ATI Radeon® Xpress 200 (PCI-Express®)
Up to 128MB DDR Shared Video Memory
PCI-Express (PCI-E x16) slot available for upgrade
Sound: AC '97 Audio, Dolby 5.1 (6-channel)
Modem: 56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem
Network: 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN
Peripherals: Premium Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
Dimensions: 14.25"H x 7.25"W x 16.00"D
Ports/Other: 7 USB 2.0 (2 in front, 4 in back, 1 in Media Reader), 2 IEEE 1394 (1 in front, 1 in back), 1 VGA external connector, 1 parallel, 2 PS/2, 5 audio ports (2 in front, 3 in back)
Pre-Installed
Software: Microsoft® Works 8.0 1, Microsoft® Office 2003 Trial3 (Student Teacher Edition), Adobe® Acrobat® Reader, Microsoft® Money 2005, Microsoft® Encarta Online, Microsoft® Windows Media Player 10, CyberLink® PowerDVD, RealNetworks RealPlayer®, Nero 6 Suite, Napster 3.0 (30-day trial)4, Quicktime, Microsoft® Internet Explorer, AOL 9.0 (6 months membership included. Additional phone charges may apply.), Google Toolbar, Norton Internet Security™ 2005 (90-day complimentary trial)5, McAfee Anti-Spyware (30-day complimentary trial)6, eMachines BigFix®7 - identifies and resolves problems that affect the system before they occur  

Other than possibly upgrading the video card, seems like an excellent computer for a great price.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 07:36:20 PM »

Quote from: "Gordon Bleu"
At that price, it's  odd that you get a 200GB AT100 2MB hard drive instead of SATA 250GB 8MB, and onboard audio instead of a decent audio card.

The 2x SLI 7800GT video is sweet though.. that explains the high cost.

I would at least upgrade the hard drive if I bought this.

I did upgrade the HD to a 74 Gig Raptor,  which actually is more storage than I'll ever need.  The onboard sound will work just fine for these old ears.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 02:29:37 AM »

Quote from: "hohum"
I did upgrade the HD to a 74 Gig Raptor,  which actually is more storage than I'll ever need.  The onboard sound will work just fine for these old ears.

You'd be surprised how quickly that drive can fill up.  Great drives (I have 2x36GB Raptors), but in the future you will find yourself needing to uninstall games before throwing the latest and greatest on there.  Then again, my UT2k4 directory is something like 10GB so maybe that's just me...

Plus you can always add another one if it becomes a big deal.

My bad ears agree with your audio assessment.  Unless you have a killer sound system and the ability to crank it up.  I have neither smile

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: