http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:05:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to reformat... without a CD?  (Read 7406 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2008, 10:41:06 PM »

I ended up getting a good deal on a PC from Costco, I slapped in a 9600 GT so I should be in PC gaming heaven soon enough. However, the system did not include a Vista CD. It's clogged with pre-loaded software (like my laptop I also bought from HP). Is it possible to reformat the HD without a CD?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 04:30:36 AM »

Sure, you can reformat the drive... but unless you have an installation source (either a cd or an installation partition)... you'll be doing a lot of nothing afterwards.

I hope to gods you didn't pay for vista and then they didn't give you ANYTHING... oem's seem to be really fond of not supplying media these days, but supplying NOTHING, is going a bit far.

Atomic
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 05:23:23 AM »

Some builders will allow you to create install CDs/DVDs.  Look in your documentation or on-line at the builder's website and see if there's a way to create "restore" discs.

Fair warning though, the install discs are basically a mirror of how the system shipped, spamware and all.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 01:44:13 PM »

Just Add/Remove Programs all of the junk out of the PC. With the PC being so brand new, you'll see a marked improvement once all that junk is removed. It did on my laptop, and even my Eee PC, at least.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 03:10:49 PM »

Instead of reformatting, you can try the PC Decrapifier tool.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 04:08:55 AM »

Or find a friend who has a vista disk.  I am assuming that your license code is on a sticker on the system.  Since you are using your license code you aren't breaking any laws that I am aware of.  You just need the disk.....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:11:19 AM by papasmurff » Logged

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 04:32:35 AM »

Papasmurf have good idea there. Don't look at me, I don't own Vista smile

Atomic    
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 10:56:54 PM »

yup, best solution is to do as smurff said.  you might be able to contact the manufacturer and order/download an os image.  also, if you have any friends with MS subscriptions to technet or msdn, you could ask them for an image of the disc to burn. 

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »

I purchased a PC from Costco for my wife and had problems with the initial (automated) setup not working. It came with free "Concierge" tech support service but I was leery of calling them, not knowing what I would be getting myself into. Turns out the worry was for nothing, it was all "on shore" and the guy I spoke to was very knowledgeable and got us going pretty quickly.

In the process found out there is a hidden partition with the Vista OS and setup utilities. From what I recall, you can use it to create physical media if you want or just use it to reformat the primary partition and setup the OS again, which is what we walked through. Not sure about all the extra crapware, I think it was an option in the setup but its been a while.

So perhaps give them a call and see what they suggest?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 03:50:43 PM »

I don't get how MS (or whoever it is) can get away with this. I mean, part of the price of your computer is paying for whatever version of Windows that you have.  You paid for the god damn software so why do you not get a Windows disk anymore so that you can reformat as many times as you like?
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 04:43:55 AM »

because they want to charge for it...after all they are M$ slywink

I kid I kid....

They are being cheap and they know that if people really want the software they can get it/ find it.  It does suck though

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 12:56:47 AM »

I don't think it's MS who is keeping the CD out of the packaging but the PC manufacturers rather as a way to keep their bullshit on your HD.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: