http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 02:06:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Much Bandwidth Do You Consume?  (Read 1256 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2013, 04:25:21 AM »

My fiancee moved in with me a few month ago, and both of us are fairly avid Netflix streaming users. Out of curiosity, I decided to check how much bandwidth we've been using. I was shocked to see for the past four months it has ranged from 338GB all the way to 553GB!  Thank GOD Comcast suspended the 250GB cap for the moment.

With UltraHD streaming on the way, and 1080P gaming already here, I'm curious what direction service providers will take.

So are you the type of person who uses the Internet primarily for Facebook and forums, or are there rolling blackouts in your city when go go online?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 04:43:52 AM »

The demand for bandwidth is well and truly outpacing the ability for providers to install fiber in the ground to carry it all.  Caps are going to be with is for a while.

That being said, even during the summer when I was unemlpoyed and lived at my computer for the majority of the day, I didn't crack 200 GB.  My one-day peak was in July where I hit 64 GB, but still didn't crack 200 for the month.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 05:14:11 AM »

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Charter actually has a way to see how much bandwidth I use per month. 

But I definitely use my internet all the time for streaming Netflix, Hulu, Giant Bomb videos, YouTube, downloading games, and so on.  Thankfully I haven't been contacted about excessive usage since going on Charter 1.5 years ago.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 05:20:33 AM »

Time Warner doesn't put it on my bills, but they had a place on the site to see it.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 05:20:59 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 16, 2013, 05:14:11 AM

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Charter actually has a way to see how much bandwidth I use per month.  

But I definitely use my internet all the time for streaming Netflix, Hulu, Giant Bomb videos, YouTube, downloading games, and so on.  Thankfully I haven't been contacted about excessive usage since going on Charter 1.5 years ago.

Comcast implemented a 250GB cap, but then promptly suspended it due to bad press. (Which is strange because apparently only about 1% of their customers exceed that goal.)  With Netflix's improved HD streaming, if you have your settings at "high" you are basically eating up 3 to 3.4GB per hour of video. I've lowered mine to medium (.7GB per hour) for TV shows. Movies get bumped to the highest setting.

With Comcast, you can log on at any time to their website and view your usage.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 05:22:18 AM »

I don't trust Time Warner's usage tracker.  for example:

July 246GB
August 203GB
September 5GB
October 0GB
November 2GB

yeah....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 07:14:41 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 16, 2013, 05:22:18 AM

I don't trust Time Warner's usage tracker.  for example:

July 246GB
August 203GB
September 5GB
October 0GB
November 2GB

yeah....

I wish Comcast tracked that poorly....

Ha! What were you doing in October? Cross-country beer run? Finishing off a jail sentence?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 07:43:19 AM »

heh, my favorite is a day in March where we apparently used 500GB....

in an one hour period.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »

We've went over the Comcast 250gb cap once, which was the month after we both got new computers - a lot of re-downloading of Steam games and any MMOs we were playing. But up until then it was unusual to hit 200GB. Now I'm kinda wondering what is going to happen as we downgraded our channel package and are now basically using Netflix/Amazon for most of our TV watching.

The data caps are so silly since I think it was proven they don't help clear up any network congestion and congestion isn't as big of a deal as it once was.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 04:22:34 AM »

Have fun, kids! Google Fiber hits Austin in a few months and I'm ALREADY a bandwidth snob! HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »

I run Tomato firmware on my Asus router and use its bandwidth meter, I avg ~300GB a month which is largely due to Netflix.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on November 24, 2013, 10:54:36 AM

I run Tomato firmware on my Asus router and use its bandwidth meter, I avg ~300GB a month which is largely due to Netflix.

I hit 642 GB for the month of November. God help me if they ever start charging for bandwidth over 250 GB. That was due to game downloads and Netflix HD streaming.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 04:24:04 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 16, 2013, 04:43:52 AM

The demand for bandwidth is well and truly outpacing the ability for providers to install fiber in the ground to carry it all.  Caps are going to be with is for a while.

No. Providers were paying more attention to their bottom line and/or their stocks for YEARS now and as thus they haven't installed jack and shit for that same timespan.

So any need for a bandwith cap is completely and entirely their fault.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 12:17:30 AM »

Their legal monopolies that they negotiated with cities all over the place helped with their complacence.  I guess they figured they could keep us down on crappy speeds forever.  At least Google is shaking things up and we should get some better technologies installed in the major metro centers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: