http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 11:14:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hooking my Xbox to my PC/Monitor (New Question)  (Read 2049 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2013, 02:07:22 PM »

Ok,

I'm trying to move my xbox 360 to my desk, and have it hooked up to my monitor.  My monitor only has 1 HDMI port, so I bought a switch thinking that solves my problem.  That's when I realized I don't have any sound...  

My PC has a XFX 6970 ATI radeon card with 2 hdmi ports.  Could I hook that up to my video card and have it played to my monitor and I could get sound through my speakers like I do with my PC games?

The switch just shipped so I didn't have time to cancel it, and it looks like I didn't think this through.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:17:41 PM by naednek » Logged
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »

Not sure what you're trying to do with the video card. If you want to try to connect the XBOX to your video card then from your video card to monitor, that isn't going to work since your video card's 2 HDMI ports are for output only.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 03:00:27 PM »

Get a switch/splitter for your speakers, or will that not work if you use HDMI out for your Xbox?

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 03:25:14 PM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on September 12, 2013, 02:26:04 PM

Not sure what you're trying to do with the video card. If you want to try to connect the XBOX to your video card then from your video card to monitor, that isn't going to work since your video card's 2 HDMI ports are for output only.

ya that's what I figured. 

So that's why I bought the switch, since my monitor has only one hdmi port.  But now I have a sound issue
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 03:26:44 PM »

If your monitor doesn't support hdmi audio, you are in a bit of a tough spot imo.  You can use the optical audio out to run your xbox sound directly to a receiver. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:44:39 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 12, 2013, 03:26:44 PM

If your monitor doesn't support hdmi audio, you are in a bit of a tough spot imo.  You can use the optical audio out to run your xbox sound directly to a receiver. 

there are also a few headsets that can take digital audio input.  I've done this before myself.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:47:10 PM »

It doesn't look like my monitor does the audio, just video..

However I just found this

would this work

Plug this in to the xbox
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Cable-Adapter-XBOX-360-Slim/dp/B002P35JMO

then get one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable/dp/B0002GUBIS/ref=pd_sim_vg_6

and plug my headphones in them.

My other problem is that my headphone is a turtle beach x11 that requires power...

But I could always use my in-ear headphones that I use for listening to the ipod.

Anyways, would the two items above work?

Appreciate the feedback.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 05:27:17 PM »

Yeah that should work.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 05:50:23 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 12, 2013, 05:27:17 PM

Yeah that should work.

actually, that won't.  the audio from the adapter is line level.  your headset is expecting an amplified signal.  it would be like listening through a tin can. 

as you have the X11's same as I do, I would recommend this instead.

this is what I was referring to in my previous post.  it's more expensive so you could always look for a small amp instead.  hell, even a guitar amp would do the trick if you have one. 

the DSS would also give you 7.1 surround sound which is pretty damn awesome.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 05:52:03 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 12, 2013, 05:50:23 PM

Yeah that should work.

actually, that won't.  the audio from the adapter is line level.  your headset is expecting an amplified signal.  it would be like listening through a tin can. 

this is what I was referring to in my previous post.  it's more expensive so you could always look for a small amp instead.  hell, even a guitar amp would do the trick if you have one. 

Powered X11s don't have their own amplifier? WTF is the power for then?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 05:55:07 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 12, 2013, 05:52:03 PM

Yeah that should work.

you may be right.  I haven't tried it though.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 06:10:26 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 12, 2013, 05:55:07 PM

Quote from: gellar on September 12, 2013, 05:52:03 PM

Yeah that should work.

you may be right.  I haven't tried it though.

as mentioned before, I would just my normal earbuds if needed.

I use my X11 on my PC and have it plugged into my audio jack and usb (for the amplified signal)

If I can't use the x11, it's not a big deal.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 03:54:30 AM »

Link to the HDMI switch, please.
Also, make/model for monitor.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 13, 2013, 03:54:30 AM

Link to the HDMI switch, please.
Also, make/model for monitor.

Switch
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B46XUQU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Monitor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TIPQ2G/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »

Ken,

How does your PC play sound - IE through a pair of tinny speakers, an expensive set with an amplification (Z5500's for instance) or do you just have earphones?

I'd strongly suggest this (assuming your PC and your 360 are close to each other):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11403&cs_id=1140302&p_id=4010&seq=1&format=2

and

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-40645-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B000J1H4VI/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379095538&sr=1-8&keywords=3.5mm+RCA

. Plug the VGA Dsub into the monitor, plug the RCA audio cables into the connector, and plug the damned connector into the back of your PC (line in).

You can now manage the sound via your PC - the only thing is your PC needs to be on for that to work. You don't NEED to use HDMI - the benefits of it aren't all that stellar on the Xbox 360, esp. where your target device has no audio processing so you net no benefit of having a single cable connection for both audio and video.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:09:25 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 08:10:47 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 13, 2013, 06:07:31 PM

Ken,

How does your PC play sound - IE through a pair of tinny speakers, an expensive set with an amplification (Z5500's for instance) or do you just have earphones?

I'd strongly suggest this (assuming your PC and your 360 are close to each other):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11403&cs_id=1140302&p_id=4010&seq=1&format=2

and

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-40645-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B000J1H4VI/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379095538&sr=1-8&keywords=3.5mm+RCA

. Plug the VGA Dsub into the monitor, plug the RCA audio cables into the connector, and plug the damned connector into the back of your PC (line in).

You can now manage the sound via your PC - the only thing is your PC needs to be on for that to work. You don't NEED to use HDMI - the benefits of it aren't all that stellar on the Xbox 360, esp. where your target device has no audio processing so you net no benefit of having a single cable connection for both audio and video.

I have speakers that plug into a subwoofer and from there it plugs into the audio jack on the back of my PC.  I'm not using surround, even though I can if I wanted to.

I'm not sure I like the VGA adapter, wouldn't the video fidelity take a hit?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »

not in any significant way.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 11:32:21 PM »

I've used HDMI, Component, and the VGA adapter on my 360.  I went back to using the VGA adapter when possible.  Not only is there no noticeable hit in quality, but HDMI makes the tv/360 take longer to boot up and register connection AND the overscan features of some tvs have less issue with the VGA adapter.  Also if you play DVD's on the 360, the VGA adapter upscales to 1080 just fine but it doesn't on the HDMI for whatever reason.

So if your monitor supports the VGA or DVI (you can use an adapter) I would go that route.  The VGA adapter has RCA audio out OR you can use optical out for better quality.  The RCA outs should work with most fancy headsets
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 12:57:05 AM »

I appreciate the help.  I just got the switch in the mail and the xbox adapter thing posted earlier will be here tomorrow.  I'd probably would have gone the other route had I seen it sooner.  I'm just trying to get it hooked up before GTAV comes out
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 09:21:05 PM »

doh, forgot to buy a 3rd hdmi cable that goes from the switch to the monitor frown  Thankfully my brohter is coming over tonight for dinner and he has an extra
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 12:33:16 AM »

so now i have it hooked up and it looks a bit pixelated.  I have confirmed my monitor is displaying it at 1080p and I confirmed the video settings on the xbox to display it in hd.  I'm playing Assassins Creed III and the environment looks like it was a game from the early 2000's.  Any suggestions?  I'm downloading the madden demo to see if it looks bad there as well.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 03:29:47 AM »

Going straight from the console to the monitor produces the same result?

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 04:38:06 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 15, 2013, 03:29:47 AM

Going straight from the console to the monitor produces the same result?

That's my next test.  I doubt the hdmi switch is the cause.  I read up on the vga adapter thing you linked and people were getting the same results....

I played around with the settings on the xbox and changed the resolution setting to optimal and it seems to look better

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 11:53:24 PM »

Ok I think changing the setting to optimized was the trick.  It looks the same going directly to the monitor and using the switch.  I played Forza Horizons demo and man it was nice looking.  Madden didn't look that great to begin with.

Thanks for all the help!

Now I need to buy a 3 ft hdmi cable...  My brother brought over a 12 footer, my xbox is less than 3 feet from my monitor Tongue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 04:44:32 PM »

monoprice is your friend. Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 05:18:19 PM »

Quote from: naednek on September 15, 2013, 11:53:24 PM

Now I need to buy a 3 ft hdmi cable...  My brother brought over a 12 footer, my xbox is less than 3 feet from my monitor Tongue

don't worry, length doesn't matter slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 06:28:57 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 16, 2013, 04:44:32 PM

monoprice is your friend. Tongue

amazon prime is even better smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 02:30:06 AM »

Not in Canada (so yeah, maybe in the States it's better).

Amazon.ca < Amazon.com
Newegg.ca < Newegg.com

By a gigantic margin.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 04:24:33 PM »

1: When I'm playing GTAV and I also noticed it in Assassins Creed 3 the shadows are very ugly and bland.  It looks like a pool of water and oil...  It's really noticiable at night in GTAV.  I've seen videos of GTAV and the shadow quality is loads better than what I'm seeing.

I have a nice monitor with 2ms response time, and it does this when directly plugged into the monitor and the switch.

One thing I need to test is changing the options in the xbox settings.  I can't remember the exact name, but in the HDTV settings  you can go from standard, expanded or intermediate.  I'm wondering if that would change anything.  I know it has to do with colors.

2:  When I switch to my PC while the XBOX is on or if I turn the monitor off when the xbox is on, the xbox restarts when I switch back.  Why?  Why does it matter when I change input or turn off the monitor to cause it to reboot.  I was in the middle of installing GTAV last night and turned the monitor off and when I turned it back on to check the status it restarted.  LAME.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 11:04:56 AM »

HDMI does odd things.  For example I'm using HDMI connection on my pc to monitor, and it will redetect the monitor as a new device when I turn it on... every time.  It also means that it takes a LOT longer to go from black to picture than otherwise.  This is part of why I prefer the VGA connector for the 360.  I fear I might be forced to HDMI it for the Xbox One though.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »

HDMI "handshakes" between the two devices - and depending on the output device, it may have "turned off" the HDMI port when you switch which causes the 360 to restart and reinit the video.

HDMI is convenience, but it isn't really noticeably different than D-sub - especially if you aren't gaining the benefit of a single cable output for sound and video. 

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »

Quote from: naednek on September 18, 2013, 04:24:33 PM

1: When I'm playing GTAV and I also noticed it in Assassins Creed 3 the shadows are very ugly and bland.  It looks like a pool of water and oil...  It's really noticiable at night in GTAV.  I've seen videos of GTAV and the shadow quality is loads better than what I'm seeing.
Try lowering your gamma/brightness.. maybe your contrast too..
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »

Quote from: naednek on September 12, 2013, 06:10:26 PM

as mentioned before, I would just my normal earbuds if needed.

I use my X11 on my PC and have it plugged into my audio jack and usb (for the amplified signal)

If I can't use the x11, it's not a big deal.

It sounds like you've got everything working, but just so you're aware - you can plug your x11's power connector into any USB source. That includes many devices that aren't even powered on; i.e. I use my powered off 360's USB port to power my turtle beach headphones even when PC gaming, just because it the more convenient USB connection. I also have a Belkin mobile surge protector with 2 USB power ports on it and that works perfectly fine too.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 07:25:43 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on September 20, 2013, 03:21:33 PM

Quote from: naednek on September 18, 2013, 04:24:33 PM

Try lowering your gamma/brightness.. maybe your contrast too..

yep that's what I did last night.  I calibrated the brightness incorrectly.  I never understand what they want me to do...  Much better now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: