http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 01:34:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Networking Question  (Read 856 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2004, 04:26:32 AM »

Hey all, got a question for you.  I have a D-link router and 4 computers in my network.  Computer 1 is connected directly to the wireless router, no problems.  Computer 2 is connected wirelessly to the network and was able to obtain the DHCP lease just fine.  No extra configuration and no problems.   Computers 3 and 4 are connected wirelessly and were able to detect the wireless network without issue, almost immediately.  However, they are not obtaining their DHCP lease (IP, Gateway, DNS information).  I have had to configure computer 3 and 4 with that information for them to be able to connect to the Internet.  

Any ideas why that is?  They are all the same brand of NIC (D-Link).  I know they all work, because they connect after I configure, I just don't know why they won't obtain their configuration settings.  Thanks in advance.
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 10:29:16 AM »

where are they getting DHCP addresses from?  I am assuming its probably the router, but it needs to be asked.

second, are you using WEP or anything?

third, did you try doing an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew on those computers?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 05:29:14 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
where are they getting DHCP addresses from?  I am assuming its probably the router, but it needs to be asked.

second, are you using WEP or anything?

third, did you try doing an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew on those computers?

Yes from the router, they should be.  No encryption.  Yes, renew didn't work because they did not have connection information.

UPDATE:  So I updated the firmware as just a troubleshooting step and it works now.  I didn't see anything in the release notes for the firmware about it, but oh well.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 05:22:12 AM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
 I didn't see anything in the release notes for the firmware about it, but oh well.

That's a pretty common practice; they'd rather not reveal flaws unless they have to.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: