http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:01:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with processor  (Read 1321 times)
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »

OK, Ive kinda had this problem for awhile now, but I just did a reinstall of XP and I figure while Im at it....

System specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3200
1GB PC3200 RAM
Win XP Home(SP1)
Radeon 9800
Asus A7N8X(ver 2.0) Mobo
SB Audigy
latest drivers for everying installed

Ive got an Athlon XP 3200 processor, but it only runs at 2200 mHz.  Ive tried d/l a tool from AMD's website to see if it can ID my processor, but because of my BIOS settings, the prog doesnt even recognize that I have an AMD processor.

My MOBO is an Asus A7N8X2.0 and Ive just installed the latest BIOS version, which is Rev 1010.  And in my BIOS settings I have everything set to either 'Default' or 'Optimal' meaning everything is as stable as it can be.  My MOBO, processor and RAM can all run at 200 mhz FSB(which is actually 400, but whatever) and Ive got it set that way.  My RAM is PC3200 and it reads that it is running at that FSB speed(as does my processor).  However, the multiplyer defaults to 10.5x which is why I get the reduced speed on my processor.  Ive tried setting it higher, but even at a multiplyer of just 11x, the comp wont even POST, so I have to reflash my CMOS and do it all over.

Any clues/tips/hints?  Or do I just have a borked processor?

Thanks!

I had one...
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 05:39:35 PM »

You do know that the '3200' in Athlon XP 3200 doesn't stand for it's MHz, but for it's performance as compared to a P4... right?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 08:14:02 PM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
You do know that the '3200' in Athlon XP 3200 doesn't stand for it's MHz, but for it's performance as compared to a P4... right?

I thought about saying that as a response as well, but then I looked up my processor according to WinXP:

Mobile AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
1.60 GHz.

So my 3200+ processor is truly a 1.6ghz at its core. A 2.2ghz would be in the 4000+ range, no?

As for the question, I don't have a good answer at all, unfortunately.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 09:01:37 PM »

You can try and give CPU-Z and see if it detects it properly.

There is a review of the Athlon XP 3200+ here that says the core runs at 2200 MHz.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 06:09:36 AM »

FWIW, I have an Athlon 64 3000+ and according to System Properties it is running at 2.04 ghz.
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 06:39:35 AM »

OK well I guess that answers that.  Thanks yall.    smile   While I admit to NOT looking up the actual rated speed of the 3200, I guess why I had questions was 1) my BIOS says the processor is 'Unknown'(during my POST) and every utility Ive tried, with the exception of PC Wizard, has listed my processor as 'Unknown'.  Like I said in my first post, even a utility I d/l from AMD's website didnt realize my processor is an Athlon, and of course Windows XP has no clue either(but that hardly surprises me... smile )

Thanks again!

I had one...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: