http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:16:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Needed!  (Read 2161 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2005, 08:18:44 PM »

Working on a friends machine, everything was going fine.  He wanted me to install a new USB 2.0 PCI card, so I cracked open the machine and started working.  He asked me if he could see what the RAM looked like, so I popped it out, showed him and popped it back in.  Now I turn on the machine, no output to the monitor, and I get one long beep, a pause then one long beep again, then a pause and this goes on and on.  I tried installing new RAM to no avail.  Any idea what is happening?  I am in panic mode here.  The system is an HP Pavilion 552W.  The motherboard is an Asus P4S-LA, but I can't find a manual for it online anywhere to interpret the beeps, although that is usually a ram issue or so I thought.  Please help!
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 08:56:13 PM »

Take out all the cards and RAM, and put them back in (called "reseating").
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 08:57:56 PM »

Well, you can sorta find out of it's a RAM issue by removing the RAM entirely and rebooting. If you get the same message, that could be it.

But, as I've said before - do the usual. Make sure all the cables are connected properly (power especially), reseat every card and connector in the system, etc.

A quick search of Asus' site brought up three motherboards that seem to be the same thing. Hit this link:

http://usa.asus.com/prog/p_search.asp?kp=P4S&langs=09

Click on the link, pick a motherboard, and click on Download. That should allow you to pull a manual. I'd dig further, but I'm at work, and my connection utterly bites.

Good luck!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 09:05:23 PM »

Make sure ya pop those ram modules in good and tight just dont force them if they are'nt fitting. Usually they have like clamps that 'click' into place when they are pushed in good. Also try it without the USB card. I installed one the other week and it gave me FITS! Sometimes it'd work sometimes not and i had to switch pci slots on it 3 times before it worked in one it had'nt 2 times before.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 09:10:31 PM »

Ok, tried reseating everything, still getting the same error.  I removed the RAM and booted up, got the same error with no RAM in the system.  I have 3 brand new chips, each chip gives the same error, is it somehow possible the RAM slots got fried?  (Have tried the RAM in slot 1 and slot 2)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 01:17:13 AM »

What kinda ram is it? Some require it to be in 2 same size banks.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 03:14:56 AM »

It is Pc2100 (266mhz) RAM.  PNY.  The system originally had 256 mb in it, in one bank the second bank empty.
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 03:21:28 PM »

Heres something that you can try doing, its worked for my Asus board and a multitude of other boards...

Take the battery out of the MB for ~10 seconds, put it back in, check and make shure your ram chips are seated properly and boot up.
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 11:35:05 PM »

Did you unplug the machine before working on it?
Warlord of Mars
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 01:39:16 AM »

If you weren't grounded, there's a possibility you zapped a component with static electricity.

"Bone breaking in the night, it's such a delight."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 12:45:48 AM »

I was grounded, machine was disconnected from power source.  No ESD... I did find out from the owner of the machine that there were past problems with the motherboard (PS/2 ports are fried).  I took the machine to an old teacher of mine who is a wiz with machines and he confirmed that the memory slots were caput so I am replacing the Mobo, which is now even more of a headache.  Some of the connectors HP uses are proprietary and will not work with the new mobo so I have to replace them.  HP had the power switch, HDD Led and Power Led all wired to one connector and the pins on the old mobo were all in a row.  The new mobo has the pins in a different configuration, and I am not sure how to remedy this.  I also had to get a 3 pin Y connector in order to hook all the fans up as the new mobo only has 2 fan connectors and the machine has 3 fans.  Lastly the lead that connects the 2 USB ports up front has a connector on it that is different than what the new mobo uses so might have to replace that as well.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 02:06:10 AM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
I was grounded, machine was disconnected from power source.  No ESD... I did find out from the owner of the machine that there were past problems with the motherboard (PS/2 ports are fried).  I took the machine to an old teacher of mine who is a wiz with machines and he confirmed that the memory slots were caput so I am replacing the Mobo, which is now even more of a headache.  Some of the connectors HP uses are proprietary and will not work with the new mobo so I have to replace them.  HP had the power switch, HDD Led and Power Led all wired to one connector and the pins on the old mobo were all in a row.  The new mobo has the pins in a different configuration, and I am not sure how to remedy this.  I also had to get a 3 pin Y connector in order to hook all the fans up as the new mobo only has 2 fan connectors and the machine has 3 fans.  Lastly the lead that connects the 2 USB ports up front has a connector on it that is different than what the new mobo uses so might have to replace that as well.

www.dell.com

biggrin
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 06:44:51 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

Amen, bruddah!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: