http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 09:04:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me troubleshoot a network issue  (Read 390 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »

So last night I was running a campaign on Roll20.net and using Vent for voice communications.  At random, my ping in Vent would jump for ~60 ms to an astounding ~12,000 ms.  Audio would get backed up, and nothing was going through on Roll20.  Then when it finally cleared I would get bombarded by audio and messages in Roll20.

Any thoughts as to what I can check to narrow this down?  Using something like SpeedTest is pretty much useless as it is only a snapshot in time, and it always ends up showing a ping between ~40 and ~60 ms.

I am on Comcast cable internet, and am using a WD Livewire powerline system to have a hardwired connect at my PC, as when I was using wireless the signal just wasn't very strong.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 04:50:12 AM »

I'm no expert, but the first thing I would do in a case like this, is eliminate any extraneous hardware, namely your powerline system, to see if that is the problem or not.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 02:35:30 PM »

Try the powerline stuff on different outlets perhaps.

I had some video streaming issues, downloaded and installed the powerline utility, and it will show you real time speed between
your two units.

I was getting about 8mbps.  Moved the one connected to my router to a different outlet, went up to 110mbps.

Problem gone.  smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: